    Invisible Guest

    I can't seem to get to some Geoshities sites via Paradise, fired up Orcon and no
    problems. Anyone else?
    Invisible, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Invisible wrote:
    > I can't seem to get to some Geoshities sites via Paradise, fired up Orcon and no
    > problems. Anyone else?

    hmmm, Paradise are trying for more customers again huh?

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Invisible

    Brian Pizza Guest

    Geoshities is slow, but not unreachable on my paradise.
    Brian Pizza, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Hmmm. I had someone posted images in my forums and I couldn't see them (red
    X). Then he e-mailed me the URL and I can't see then either by entering the
    URL directly. Guess what? Paradise + Geocities here...

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Invisible

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:31:50 +1300, in article
    <>, Invisible wrote:

    > Subject: Paradise don't like Geocities?

    > I can't seem to get to some Geoshities sites via Paradise, fired up Orcon and no
    > problems. Anyone else?

    No problems here, from Paradise.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
    Ralph Fox, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Invisible

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <GeeQb.21457$>,
    says...
    > Invisible wrote:
    > > I can't seem to get to some Geoshities sites via Paradise, fired up Orcon and no
    > > problems. Anyone else?

    > hmmm, Paradise are trying for more customers again huh?

    What evidence do you have to support this unsubstantied hogwash?

    Mainlander, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Invisible

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <hQeQb.18637$>,
    lid says...
    > Hmmm. I had someone posted images in my forums and I couldn't see them (red
    > X). Then he e-mailed me the URL and I can't see then either by entering the
    > URL directly. Guess what? Paradise + Geocities here...

    And what was the error message returned?

    Geocities is a flaky server to have stuff hosted on, they have hourly
    traffic limits and other daft things

    Mainlander, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Invisible

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:02:23 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <GeeQb.21457$>,
    > says...
    >> Invisible wrote:
    >> > I can't seem to get to some Geoshities sites via Paradise, fired up Orcon and no
    >> > problems. Anyone else?

    >> hmmm, Paradise are trying for more customers again huh?

    >What evidence do you have to support this unsubstantied hogwash?

    Well they sure as hell aren't what they used to be. They rarely, if ever, update
    their homepage when something goes down. In the 'good old days', there'd be an
    email from them as soon as the problem had been resolved.
    Invisible, Jan 24, 2004
  9. On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:31:50 +1300, Invisible <>
    wrote:

    >I can't seem to get to some Geoshities sites via Paradise, fired up Orcon and no
    >problems. Anyone else?

    Sounds like some of us can connect, but I definitely can't. I'm on
    Paradise in Christchurch.

    Bye,
    James
    James McLaughlin, Jan 24, 2004
  10. Invisible

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:02:23 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <GeeQb.21457$>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> hmmm, Paradise are trying for more customers again huh?

    > >What evidence do you have to support this unsubstantied hogwash?

    > Well they sure as hell aren't what they used to be. They rarely, if ever, update
    > their homepage when something goes down. In the 'good old days', there'd be an
    > email from them as soon as the problem had been resolved.

    That might be appropriate for a small niche high priced ISP, not a big
    one with a lot of hardware to look after.

    You can't expect to pick up the phone and talk to a techo directly
    because they all have a lot more equipment to run on a big network.

    If you don't like that service model then change to the small niche
    higher priced ISP, it is your choice.

    Mainlander, Jan 25, 2004
  11. "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <hQeQb.18637$>,
    > lid says...
    > > Hmmm. I had someone posted images in my forums and I couldn't see them

    (red
    > > X). Then he e-mailed me the URL and I can't see then either by entering

    the
    > > URL directly. Guess what? Paradise + Geocities here...

    > And what was the error message returned?
    >
    > Geocities is a flaky server to have stuff hosted on, they have hourly
    > traffic limits and other daft things

    No error message at all - that would be returned by Geocities if the limits
    were reached. The browser tried to connect, and after a couple of minutes it
    returned the red X. It wasn't like Server not found or 404.

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 25, 2004
  12. Invisible

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <TOHQb.18790$>,
    lid says...
    > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > > In article <hQeQb.18637$>,
    > > lid says...
    > > > Hmmm. I had someone posted images in my forums and I couldn't see them

    > (red
    > > > X). Then he e-mailed me the URL and I can't see then either by entering

    > the
    > > > URL directly. Guess what? Paradise + Geocities here...

    > > And what was the error message returned?
    > >
    > > Geocities is a flaky server to have stuff hosted on, they have hourly
    > > traffic limits and other daft things
    > >

    > No error message at all - that would be returned by Geocities if the limits
    > were reached. The browser tried to connect, and after a couple of minutes it
    > returned the red X. It wasn't like Server not found or 404.

    Some of these sites block Direct Linking to images.

    Mainlander, Jan 25, 2004
  13. Invisible

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:34:53 +0000, in article
    <>, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:31:50 +1300, in article
    > <>, Invisible wrote:
    >
    > > Subject: Paradise don't like Geocities?

    > > I can't seem to get to some Geoshities sites via Paradise, fired up Orcon and no
    > > problems. Anyone else?

    > No problems here, from Paradise.

    I'm having problems this morning, though.

    A long wait of several minutes trying to load the page,
    ending with an error "the document contained no data".

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:02:26 +1300, in article
    <>, Mainlander wrote:

    > Geocities is a flaky server to have stuff hosted on, they have hourly
    > traffic limits and other daft things

    For Mainlander's information, this was with a a low traffic Geocities
    site. It is extremely unlikely to be Geocities traffic limits.
    In any event, if a site does exceed Geocities traffic limits
    you see a page stating this, not the error above.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before