  1. I have just been told by a Telscum buddy, that their is no Interconnect
    agreement between Telstra/clear and Telscum

    So all ISP links have to go via the USA..
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 5, 2005

  2. On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:43:13 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >>
    >> I have just been told by a Telscum buddy, that their is no Interconnect
    >> agreement between Telstra/clear and Telscum
    >>
    >> So all ISP links have to go via the USA..

    >Yep.
    >
    >Boycott TelstraClear...
    >
    >They want to charge for traffic like the their parent company does in
    >Australia.
    >
    >The Kiwi open traffic ethos has been one of the good things about the
    >Net in NZ.....and TelstraClear want to end it.

    No Its Telescum that is the Villain..
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 5, 2005

  3. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    steve Guest

    steve, Mar 5, 2005
  4. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Axle Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:43:13 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >

    >>BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have just been told by a Telscum buddy, that their is no Interconnect
    >>>agreement between Telstra/clear and Telscum
    >>>
    >>>So all ISP links have to go via the USA..

    >>Yep.
    >>
    >>Boycott TelstraClear...
    >>
    >>They want to charge for traffic like the their parent company does in
    >>Australia.
    >>
    >>The Kiwi open traffic ethos has been one of the good things about the
    >>Net in NZ.....and TelstraClear want to end it.

    > No Its Telescum that is the Villain..

    Telecom didn't make Telstraclear de-peer from WIX.
    They came up with that stupidity all by themselves.
    Axle, Mar 5, 2005
  5. On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:50:37 +1300, Axle <> wrote:

    >BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    >>>Yep.
    >>>
    >>>Boycott TelstraClear...
    >>>
    >>>They want to charge for traffic like the their parent company does in
    >>>Australia.
    >>>
    >>>The Kiwi open traffic ethos has been one of the good things about the
    >>>Net in NZ.....and TelstraClear want to end it.

    >> No Its Telescum that is the Villain..
    >>

    >Telecom didn't make Telstraclear de-peer from WIX.
    >They came up with that stupidity all by themselves.

    May be they held a Gun to there head..
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 5, 2005
  6. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Axle Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:50:37 +1300, Axle <> wrote:
    >

    >>BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    >>>No Its Telescum that is the Villain..
    >>>

    >>Telecom didn't make Telstraclear de-peer from WIX.
    >>They came up with that stupidity all by themselves.

    > May be they held a Gun to there head..

    No, they just make more money by making their content providers traffic
    al international.
    Its a ripoff.
    Axle, Mar 5, 2005
  7. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Daniel Guest

    Axle wrote:

    > Telecom didn't make Telstraclear de-peer from WIX.
    > They came up with that stupidity all by themselves.

    However, it would appear the move to de-peer from WIX is going to backfire:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10113474

    Surely, TelstraClear would've seen that one coming - you'd think?
    Daniel, Mar 5, 2005
  8. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Axle Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Axle wrote:
    >

    >> Telecom didn't make Telstraclear de-peer from WIX.
    >> They came up with that stupidity all by themselves.

    > However, it would appear the move to de-peer from WIX is going to backfire:
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10113474
    >
    > Surely, TelstraClear would've seen that one coming - you'd think?

    They are not good guys.
    They are grossly stupid, Citylink put an excellent facility in place
    that was good for everyone, and some greedy shortsighted marketing
    degree arseholes have fucked it up.
    Axle, Mar 5, 2005
  9. BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > I have just been told by a Telscum buddy, that their is no Interconnect
    > agreement between Telstra/clear and Telscum
    > So all ISP links have to go via the USA..

    not quite right roger.
    but fairly close.
    they'll probably go via Australia.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 5, 2005
  10. BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >>The Kiwi open traffic ethos has been one of the good things about the
    >>Net in NZ.....and TelstraClear want to end it.

    > No Its Telescum that is the Villain..

    well, Telecom are not peering either, but Telstra arent either...
    they're both dumb companies.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 5, 2005
  11. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    David Preece Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > I have just been told by a Telscum buddy, that their is no Interconnect
    > agreement between Telstra/clear and Telscum

    A traceroute between my home cable modem and an xtra machine appears to
    go via Auckland.

    Dave
    David Preece, Mar 5, 2005
  12. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    David Preece Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > No Its Telescum that is the Villain..

    No, this time it's Telstra Clear.

    Dave
    David Preece, Mar 5, 2005
  13. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Enkidu Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:43:13 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >

    >>BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have just been told by a Telscum buddy, that their is no Interconnect
    >>>agreement between Telstra/clear and Telscum
    >>>
    >>>So all ISP links have to go via the USA..

    >>Yep.
    >>
    >>Boycott TelstraClear...
    >>
    >>They want to charge for traffic like the their parent company does in
    >>Australia.
    >>
    >>The Kiwi open traffic ethos has been one of the good things about the
    >>Net in NZ.....and TelstraClear want to end it.

    > No Its Telescum that is the Villain..

    Telstra/Clear could swallow NZ Telecom whole, and probably
    would want to. That would pretty much give them an
    Australia/New Zealand monopoly.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 6, 2005
  14. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:43:13 +1300, steve wrote:

    > They want to charge for traffic like the their parent company does in
    > Australia.

    The rate *is* the problem eh?
    Gordon, Mar 6, 2005
  15. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Axle Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:43:13 +1300, steve wrote:
    >

    >>They want to charge for traffic like the their parent company does in
    >>Australia.

    > The rate *is* the problem eh?

    Yes, local traffic charged at international rates.
    Axle, Mar 6, 2005
  16. On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 08:22:41 +1300, David Preece
    <> wrote:

    >BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >> I have just been told by a Telscum buddy, that their is no Interconnect
    >> agreement between Telstra/clear and Telscum

    >A traceroute between my home cable modem and an xtra machine appears to
    >go via Auckland.
    >
    >Dave

    Yes, MCI now has some routers in Auckland, so if your international
    traffic normally goes via MCI (alter.net), then the traffic is
    rerouted through them instead of having to go to the US first. That
    is what happens for me (I am with nzwireless).
    Stephen Worthington, Mar 6, 2005
  17. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    AD. Guest

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 22:19:50 +1300, Daniel wrote:

    > Axle wrote:
    >>
    >> Telecom didn't make Telstraclear de-peer from WIX. They came up with
    >> that stupidity all by themselves.

    > However, it would appear the move to de-peer from WIX is going to
    > backfire: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10113474
    >
    > Surely, TelstraClear would've seen that one coming - you'd think?

    Well the NZ based engineers did, but were apparently overruled by
    Head Office in Oz.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Mar 6, 2005
  18. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Adder Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > >
    > > I have just been told by a Telscum buddy, that their is no Interconnect
    > > agreement between Telstra/clear and Telscum
    > >
    > > So all ISP links have to go via the USA..

    > Yep.
    >
    > Boycott TelstraClear...
    >
    > They want to charge for traffic like the their parent company does in
    > Australia.
    >
    > The Kiwi open traffic ethos has been one of the good things about the
    > Net in NZ.....and TelstraClear want to end it.

    bullcrap
    what your asking for is unlmited traffic
    who pays for it really
    some Isps do charge for traffic
    Adder, Mar 7, 2005
  19. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:22:18 +1300, Adder wrote:

    >> They want to charge for traffic like the their parent company does in
    >> Australia.
    >>
    >> The Kiwi open traffic ethos has been one of the good things about the
    >> Net in NZ.....and TelstraClear want to end it.

    > bullcrap
    > what your asking for is unlmited traffic who pays for it really
    > some Isps do charge for traffic

    No he's not asking for that, you missed the point completely. Do you even
    know what peering exchanges are?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton