  1. Is there something up with the Paradise.net.nz news server again?..the
    last couple of days there's been very few or no messages in most of the
    non nz.* newsgroups I'm subscribed to.

    Kerry Ferrand, May 25, 2005

  2. Kerry Ferrand

    CSE Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:43:41 +1200, Kerry Ferrand
    <> wrote:

    >Is there something up with the Paradise.net.nz news server again?..the
    >last couple of days there's been very few or no messages in most of the
    >non nz.* newsgroups I'm subscribed to.

    Was now Fixed..
    CSE, May 25, 2005

  3. Kerry Ferrand

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Kerry Ferrand <> wrote in

    > Is there something up with the Paradise.net.nz news server again?..the
    > last couple of days there's been very few or no messages in most of the
    > non nz.* newsgroups I'm subscribed to.

    I don't know, but they seem to be billing the nntp traffic still. (At least
    on my summary page for Non-ADLS users it is still showing up...) Call them
    and open a ticket, it is the only way to let their techs know there is an
    issue.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 25, 2005
  4. Kerry Ferrand

    Max Burke Guest

    > Dave Taylor scribbled:
    > I don't know, but they seem to be billing the nntp traffic still. (At
    > least on my summary page for Non-ADLS users it is still showing
    > up...) Call them and open a ticket, it is the only way to let their
    > techs know there is an issue.

    You mean the techs dont know there is a problem until their users tell
    them???????

    I thought that was telecom/Xtra's modus operandi....

    ;-)

    Found Images
    Max Burke, May 25, 2005
  5. Kerry Ferrand

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in news:4294247b$:

    >> Dave Taylor scribbled:
    >> I don't know, but they seem to be billing the nntp traffic still. (At
    >> least on my summary page for Non-ADLS users it is still showing
    >> up...) Call them and open a ticket, it is the only way to let their
    >> techs know there is an issue.

    > You mean the techs dont know there is a problem until their users tell
    > them???????
    >
    > I thought that was telecom/Xtra's modus operandi....
    >
    > ;-)

    nntp issues are at the bottom of their list IMHO. Only way to move it up
    is to ask.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 25, 2005
  6. Kerry Ferrand

    RdM Guest

    Kerry Ferrand <> in
    nz.comp<>:
    : Is there something up with the Paradise.net.nz news server again?..the
    : last couple of days there's been very few or no messages in most of the
    : non nz.* newsgroups I'm subscribed to.

    Ditto; Quicksilver uses Clears news server (as I believe Paradise does?) and I
    have no new messages since the 23rd in a couple of rec.audio.* groups I
    suscribe to; Google shows plenty new. I was about to ring their helpdesk
    tonight (and still will now) but just decided to check with another news
    client - I have over 25k messages in one of those groups and wondered if Free
    Agent was hitting some sort of limit - but Dialog gives the same result.
    RdM, May 25, 2005
  7. Kerry Ferrand

    RdM Guest

    Kerry Ferrand <> in
    nz.comp<>:

    : Is there something up with the Paradise.net.nz news server again?..the
    : last couple of days there's been very few or no messages in most of the
    : non nz.* newsgroups I'm subscribed to.

    Care to share what groups?
    I've checked some others in my subscribed list and note that:
    a couple of alt.binary groups are OK; up to 24/25th
    a couple of rec.audio groups nothing since 23rd; (I check them daily!)
    a couple of rec.radio.amateur groups most recent 24th
    4 sci.physics groups most recent 20, 23, 23, ... (waits for 12549 headers)
    (odd too that there are often more headers available than bodies; still, not
    bad retention - at least back to 1/04/05 on a quick check!) (I suscribe to
    much more than I regularly look at - some only every month or two!) ah; 24th.

    uk.rec.audio up-to-date most recent 25th

    All of these however would normally have daily posts; and as I do check the
    rec.audio ones daily, I am disturbed at two days worth of missing posts,
    especially when Google groups shows an up-to-date record ...

    What mechanism would cause only a couple or several groups to miss posts?
    Human error somewhere upstream?

    Time to squeak, I think ...
    --
    RdM
    RdM, May 25, 2005
  8. Kerry Ferrand

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:43:41 +1200, in message
     <>, Kerry Ferrand wrote:

    > Is there something up with the Paradise.net.nz news server again?..the
    > last couple of days there's been very few or no messages in most of the
    > non nz.* newsgroups I'm subscribed to.

    Same problem here. It is patently obvious that there is a problem.

    And no communucation from Paradise -- nothing on their website.
    Maybe they've had a technical problem, but it is poor customer
    relations not to communicate.

    I emailed their help and got a robot autoreply trying to help me with
    (a) setting up a homepage, (b) the January 21st 2005 Paradise outage.
    I replied that the robot help wasn't relevant, restating the problem.
    I haven't heard back.

    Oh well, if Paradise still won't communicate (even via their website --
    not necessarily personally) then it is going to be churn time.

    My experience...
    - New messages in non nz.* groups dried up on the
    evening of Saturday 21 May 2005.
    - There were a few percent of normal on Sunday, virtually
    nothing on Monday.
    - Tuesday, one alt.* group of 24 in my subscribed list had new messages.
    - Today Wed, that alt.* group isn't getting any but some of
    the others are.

    - Where groups have started getting new messages, there has been some
    backfilling of the missing days but not complete.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
    Ralph Fox, May 25, 2005
  9. On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:45:48 +1200, RdM <> wrote:

    >Kerry Ferrand <> in
    >nz.comp<>:
    >
    >: Is there something up with the Paradise.net.nz news server again?..the
    >: last couple of days there's been very few or no messages in most of the
    >: non nz.* newsgroups I'm subscribed to.
    >
    >Care to share what groups?

    Rec.sport.pro-wrestling normally has 500-1000 new posts per day. On
    top of that, Monday (NZ time) was the WWE Pay Per View event
    "Judgement Day" in the USA. That day my Paradise feed of RSPW had a
    total of 22 new posts. There was nothing on Tuesday either. Today
    (Wednesday) it seems to be working.

    The only other non-NZ group I read rec.sport.cricket has also been
    dead.

    I've been a fan of Paradise's for years, but their recent decline in
    service is starting to really piss me off!
    User Identity, May 25, 2005
  10. Kerry Ferrand

    RdM Guest

    :
    : What mechanism would cause only a couple or several groups to miss posts?
    : Human error somewhere upstream?
    :
    : Time to squeak, I think ...

    Talked to Quicksilver's helpdesk; entered a note into the system ...
    Let's see if there is any improvement tomorrow ...
    RdM, May 25, 2005
  11. Kerry Ferrand

    shannon Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:51:34 +0000, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:43:41 +1200, in message
    >  <>, Kerry Ferrand wrote:
    >
    >> Is there something up with the Paradise.net.nz news server again?..the
    >> last couple of days there's been very few or no messages in most of the
    >> non nz.* newsgroups I'm subscribed to.

    > Same problem here. It is patently obvious that there is a problem.
    >
    > And no communucation from Paradise -- nothing on their website.
    > Maybe they've had a technical problem, but it is poor customer
    > relations not to communicate.
    >

    > I emailed their help and got a robot autoreply trying to help me with
    > (a) setting up a homepage, (b) the January 21st 2005 Paradise outage.
    > I replied that the robot help wasn't relevant, restating the problem.
    > I haven't heard back.
    >

    > Oh well, if Paradise still won't communicate (even via their website --
    > not necessarily personally) then it is going to be churn time.

    > My experience...
    > - New messages in non nz.* groups dried up on the
    > evening of Saturday 21 May 2005.
    > - There were a few percent of normal on Sunday, virtually
    > nothing on Monday.
    > - Tuesday, one alt.* group of 24 in my subscribed list had new messages.
    > - Today Wed, that alt.* group isn't getting any but some of
    > the others are.
    >
    > - Where groups have started getting new messages, there has been some
    > backfilling of the missing days but not complete.

    I asked what was wrong with the news server and got a reply that I should
    contact the sites owner LOL
    Telstra Clear is trying to lower our expectations.
    shannon, May 25, 2005
  12. Kerry Ferrand

    RdM Guest

    shannon writes:
    : On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:51:34 +0000, Ralph Fox wrote:

    : > - Where groups have started getting new messages, there has been some
    : > backfilling of the missing days but not complete.
    :
    : I asked what was wrong with the news server and got a reply that I should
    : contact the sites owner LOL
    : Telstra Clear is trying to lower our expectations.

    To be fair; they have an upstream provider too.
    It seems to me that there was definitely some sort of glitch; who knows what?
    Where to find out these things?
    RdM, May 26, 2005
  13. Kerry Ferrand

    RdM Guest

    User Identity writes:

    : I've been a fan of Paradise's for years, but their recent decline in
    : service is starting to really piss me off!

    But of course the problem came from upstream; Clear's server, or beyond.
    Usenet was never perfect; it might be comforting to know what the event was.
    I wouldn't ascribe the trouble to Paradise too hastily ;-)
    RdM, May 26, 2005
  14. Kerry Ferrand

    RdM Guest

    Slight update:

    : : Is there something up with the Paradise.net.nz news server again?..the
    : : last couple of days there's been very few or no messages in most of the
    : : non nz.* newsgroups I'm subscribed to.
    :
    : Care to share what groups?
    : I've checked some others in my subscribed list and note that:
    : a couple of alt.binary groups are OK; up to 24/25th
    : a couple of rec.audio groups nothing since 23rd; (I check them daily!)

    One has caught up suddenly; the other seems to have lost the interim msgs.

    : a couple of rec.radio.amateur groups most recent 24th
    : 4 sci.physics groups most recent 20, 23, 23, ... (waits for 12549 headers)
    : (odd too that there are often more headers available than bodies; still, not
    : bad retention - at least back to 1/04/05 on a quick check!) (I suscribe to
    : much more than I regularly look at - some only every month or two!) ah; 24th.

    These seem up to date, more-or-less, again.

    : What mechanism would cause only a couple or several groups to miss posts?

    Maybe some sort of glitch upstream on a larger scale that we don't know of?
    Where would "news" of such be posted, one wonders?
    (If it was at all, of course!)
    RdM, May 26, 2005
  15. On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:54:59 +1200, RdM <> wrote:

    >User Identity writes:
    >
    >: I've been a fan of Paradise's for years, but their recent decline in
    >: service is starting to really piss me off!
    >
    >But of course the problem came from upstream; Clear's server, or beyond.
    >Usenet was never perfect; it might be comforting to know what the event was.
    >I wouldn't ascribe the trouble to Paradise too hastily ;-)

    The problem may or may not be with Clear's newsfeed. However, in the
    last month or two, the Paradise news server has also lost all of its
    messages after being reset: twice. And the e-mail server has died for
    a couple of days. And I'm getting a lot of "Site does not exist"
    messages when browsing, when it is sites like Dilbert or Reuters News
    that obviously do exist (something wrong with the domain name
    server?).

    Compared to the service that we used to get from Paradise, I assure
    that their service so far this year has been pretty bad.
    User Identity, May 26, 2005
  16. Kerry Ferrand

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:54:55 +1200, in message
     <>, RdM wrote:

    > shannon writes:
    > : On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:51:34 +0000, Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    > : > - Where groups have started getting new messages, there has been some
    > : > backfilling of the missing days but not complete.
    > :
    > : I asked what was wrong with the news server and got a reply that I should
    > : contact the sites owner LOL
    > : Telstra Clear is trying to lower our expectations.
    >
    > To be fair; they have an upstream provider too.
    > It seems to me that there was definitely some sort of glitch; who knows what?

    Indeed, it might not be their _technical_ problem.

    But they should still be taking on the responsibility of communicating
    to their own customers.

    > Where to find out these things?

    You ought to be able to find out here, for example:
    http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/paradisenet.html
    http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/clearnet.html

    But the web page has been worthless, saying "No known problems" even
    while their patently was: the news server was receiving no new posts
    outside nz.* groups.

    They should be communicating to their customers. They have not.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
    Ralph Fox, May 26, 2005
  17. Kerry Ferrand

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:47:37 +1200, in message
     <>, User Identity wrote:

    > And I'm getting a lot of "Site does not exist"
    > messages when browsing, when it is sites like Dilbert or Reuters News
    > that obviously do exist (something wrong with the domain name
    > server?).

    I've seen a couple of days recently where every single domain gives
    a "not found", even Paradise's own domains. Browser, mail server,
    the lot. The Paradise DNS servers have just been totally out to
    lunch and not working.

    I've taken to setting up a couple of other DUN connections
    for Paradise, but with different DNS servers.

    FWIW at this time the Paradise ntp server is totally out to lunch and
    not working, and has been so for a day or more. Ditto Clear.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
    Ralph Fox, May 26, 2005
  18. On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:54:55 +1200, RdM <> wrote:

    >shannon writes:
    >: On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:51:34 +0000, Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    >: > - Where groups have started getting new messages, there has been some
    >: > backfilling of the missing days but not complete.
    >:
    >: I asked what was wrong with the news server and got a reply that I should
    >: contact the sites owner LOL
    >: Telstra Clear is trying to lower our expectations.
    >
    >To be fair; they have an upstream provider too.
    >It seems to me that there was definitely some sort of glitch; who knows what?
    >Where to find out these things?

    No Newsgroups at all this morning at 8.30. Rang Paradise, Asked what
    was wrong with their news server, "Technician" didn't know, went away,
    came back to say "It is o.k. now". Tried again everything 100%

    Alan Keatinge
    Alan Keatinge, May 26, 2005
  19. Kerry Ferrand

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on Thu, 26 May 2005 12:17:25 +0000, Ralph Fox
    <-echo.invalid> says...
    > On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:47:37 +1200, in message
    >  <>, User Identity wrote:
    >
    > > And I'm getting a lot of "Site does not exist"
    > > messages when browsing, when it is sites like Dilbert or Reuters News
    > > that obviously do exist (something wrong with the domain name
    > > server?).

    > I've seen a couple of days recently where every single domain gives
    > a "not found", even Paradise's own domains. Browser, mail server,
    > the lot. The Paradise DNS servers have just been totally out to
    > lunch and not working.
    >
    > I've taken to setting up a couple of other DUN connections
    > for Paradise, but with different DNS servers.
    >

    > FWIW at this time the Paradise ntp server is totally out to lunch and
    > not working, and has been so for a day or more. Ditto Clear.

    Clear and Paradise use the same news server!
    Rob J, May 27, 2005
  20. RdM wrote:

    > User Identity writes:
    >
    > : I've been a fan of Paradise's for years, but their recent decline in
    > : service is starting to really piss me off!
    >
    > But of course the problem came from upstream; Clear's server, or beyond.
    > Usenet was never perfect; it might be comforting to know what the event was.
    > I wouldn't ascribe the trouble to Paradise too hastily ;-)

    Except that Paradise have been having a recurring problem with mail and
    news for over a month now. And they got 0wn3d shortly before that.
    Stewart Fleming, May 27, 2005