Paradise/Clear news server problem - same again, a month later.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ralph Fox, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    For the last day there have been no or very few messages
    in non nz.* groups on the Paradise/Clear news server.

    Google groups and Xtra's news server show new messages in
    non nz.* groups, messages which just haven't shown up on
    the Paradise/Clear news server.

    This is the same problem which the Paradise/Clear news server
    had almost exactly a month ago.

    And again, they are failing to communicate with their customers.

    The Paradise network status page tells us that there are
    "no problems to report".
    http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/paradisenet.html

    The Clear network status page tells us that there are
    "no problems to report".
    http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/clearnet.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Ralph Fox

    thing2 Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > For the last day there have been no or very few messages
    > in non nz.* groups on the Paradise/Clear news server.
    >
    > Google groups and Xtra's news server show new messages in
    > non nz.* groups, messages which just haven't shown up on
    > the Paradise/Clear news server.
    >

    > This is the same problem which the Paradise/Clear news server
    > had almost exactly a month ago.
    >

    > And again, they are failing to communicate with their customers.
    >

    > The Paradise network status page tells us that there are
    > "no problems to report".
    > http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/paradisenet.html
    >
    > The Clear network status page tells us that there are
    > "no problems to report".
    > http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/clearnet.html

    It is also losing the postings to it.

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Jun 26, 2005

  3. On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 05:53:56 +0000, Ralph Fox
    <-echo.invalid> wrote:

    >For the last day there have been no or very few messages
    >in non nz.* groups on the Paradise/Clear news server.
    >
    >Google groups and Xtra's news server show new messages in
    >non nz.* groups, messages which just haven't shown up on
    >the Paradise/Clear news server.
    >

    >This is the same problem which the Paradise/Clear news server
    >had almost exactly a month ago.
    >

    >And again, they are failing to communicate with their customers.
    >

    >The Paradise network status page tells us that there are
    >"no problems to report".
    >http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/paradisenet.html
    >
    >The Clear network status page tells us that there are
    >"no problems to report".
    >http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/clearnet.html

    I Have just rung the "Help Desk" and honestly you would get more
    information if you asked our cat. The idiot I was speaking to didn't
    have a clue. All he is going to do is report that the news groups I
    subcribe to are not working.

    I would suggest we all ring and complain and then something may be
    done.

    Alan Keatinge

    Alan Keatinge, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Ralph Fox

    putter Guest

    "Alan Keatinge" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 05:53:56 +0000, Ralph Fox
    > <-echo.invalid> wrote:
    >

    > >For the last day there have been no or very few messages
    > >in non nz.* groups on the Paradise/Clear news server.
    > >
    > >Google groups and Xtra's news server show new messages in
    > >non nz.* groups, messages which just haven't shown up on
    > >the Paradise/Clear news server.
    > >

    > >This is the same problem which the Paradise/Clear news server
    > >had almost exactly a month ago.
    > >

    > >And again, they are failing to communicate with their customers.
    > >

    > >The Paradise network status page tells us that there are
    > >"no problems to report".
    > >http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/paradisenet.html
    > >
    > >The Clear network status page tells us that there are
    > >"no problems to report".
    > >http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/clearnet.html

    > I Have just rung the "Help Desk" and honestly you would get more
    > information if you asked our cat. The idiot I was speaking to didn't
    > have a clue. All he is going to do is report that the news groups I
    > subcribe to are not working.
    >
    > I would suggest we all ring and complain and then something may be
    > done.
    >
    > Alan Keatinge

    Been there done that and what I determined in the end is that they don't
    really have anybody to ring to report faults with the network, you are given
    an option that sounds as though it does this job but it really only is for
    people that have problems at there end and don't have a clue about it, they
    run through generic questions with you because they assume it is a fault at
    your end and they don't really know what they are talking about they are
    basically just reading from a check sheet with very little understanding of
    what it all means. After going around in circles I was told to email the
    helpdesk as there is nothing the person on the phone can do, they can't even
    report the problem to someone else. Have not had much luck with the email
    helpdesk either so in the end I have had to just give up, it's just a waste
    of time and energy as the company couldn't care less about users like me but
    that's almost always the case when you are dealing with a big company, they
    got to where they are not by good customer service but by buying out their
    competitors and in the end lowering the standards across the board, if
    companies were not allowed to get too big it would solve a lot of problems,
    including been better for the economy, lot's of little companies are far
    better for the economy than a few large ones, woops I'm rambling, I don't
    want to get into a debate on this sort of things so I better shut up.

    putter, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Ralph Fox

    putter Guest

    "thing2" <> wrote in message
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    > > For the last day there have been no or very few messages
    > > in non nz.* groups on the Paradise/Clear news server.
    > >
    > > Google groups and Xtra's news server show new messages in
    > > non nz.* groups, messages which just haven't shown up on
    > > the Paradise/Clear news server.
    > >

    > > This is the same problem which the Paradise/Clear news server
    > > had almost exactly a month ago.
    > >

    > > And again, they are failing to communicate with their customers.
    > >

    > > The Paradise network status page tells us that there are
    > > "no problems to report".
    > > http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/paradisenet.html
    > >
    > > The Clear network status page tells us that there are
    > > "no problems to report".
    > > http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/clearnet.html
    > >

    > It is also losing the postings to it.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    For sometime I have noticed threads that include a post from me disappearing
    after a couple of days which as you can imagine is a real nuisance.

    putter, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Ralph Fox

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news:42c0bfff$:

    > After going around in circles I was told to email the
    > helpdesk as there is nothing the person on the phone can do, they
    > can't even report the problem to someone else.

    Yes they can and have done so in the past. If you escalate enough, you get
    to the people who actually can log a ticket and know what you are on about.
    Ask to speak with a supervisor if you feel that the person who is helping
    you is not helping you to your satisfaction.
    This is a large company you are dealing with and the specialties are
    compartmentalized; you need to get into the correct compartment and I spent
    about an hour and a half on the phone, between my first dial and finally
    getting a tech who could actually do something about it. I was patient and
    knew what I wanted. The front line had no idea what I was on about.
    People in general know about www, but nntp, come on, you need to remember
    that when you call for support too...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Ralph Fox

    putter Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news:42c0bfff$:
    >
    > > After going around in circles I was told to email the
    > > helpdesk as there is nothing the person on the phone can do, they
    > > can't even report the problem to someone else.

    > Yes they can and have done so in the past. If you escalate enough, you

    get
    > to the people who actually can log a ticket and know what you are on

    about.
    > Ask to speak with a supervisor if you feel that the person who is helping
    > you is not helping you to your satisfaction.
    > This is a large company you are dealing with and the specialties are
    > compartmentalized; you need to get into the correct compartment and I

    spent
    > about an hour and a half on the phone, between my first dial and finally
    > getting a tech who could actually do something about it. I was patient

    and
    > knew what I wanted. The front line had no idea what I was on about.
    > People in general know about www, but nntp, come on, you need to remember
    > that when you call for support too...
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    I did all that mate but it all depends on who you get when you ring, the
    last time around I got nowhere but in the past i have had the same result as
    you but frankly it is just not worth the time and hassle in the end. You
    have obviously not tried to report a fault with the network very often or
    you have been incredibly lucky and no it does not matter what the fault is
    with the problem is the same, I was patient and knew what I wanted also but
    that is often not enough, you will learn that in time.

    putter, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Ralph Fox

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news:42c1d016$:

    > I did all that mate but it all depends on who you get when you ring,
    > the last time around I got nowhere but in the past i have had the same
    > result as you but frankly it is just not worth the time and hassle in
    > the end. You have obviously not tried to report a fault with the
    > network very often or you have been incredibly lucky and no it does
    > not matter what the fault is with the problem is the same, I was
    > patient and knew what I wanted also but that is often not enough, you
    > will learn that in time.

    I like my rose coloured glasses thank you. I will keep them on a little
    longer. 8)

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 30, 2005