    This is still happening as of date and it seems simply ridiculous to have
    it going on for such a long time. In the interests of saving on ISP bills
    I am considering switching to Xtra if Paradise doesn't fix this problem.
    Mainlander, Sep 28, 2003

  2. Mainlander

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:28:52 +1200, in article
    <>, Mainlander wrote:

    > For the last week I have endured bad connections, inability to connect to
    > mail servers or surf, have to try another connection, reconnect later or
    > use another ISP.
    >
    > This is still happening as of date and it seems simply ridiculous to have
    > it going on for such a long time. In the interests of saving on ISP bills
    > I am considering switching to Xtra if Paradise doesn't fix this problem.

    No such problem here in AK.

    Is it affected by which Paradise dial-up number you use?

    Paradise NZ Wide 086 727 234
    Paradise IPNet 087 307 272
    Paradise Christchurch POP (03) 982-6131

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
    Ralph Fox, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Mainlander

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:28:52 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >For the last week I have endured bad connections, inability to connect to
    >mail servers or surf, have to try another connection, reconnect later or
    >use another ISP.

    I've put it down to the school holidays with more kids playing games,
    surfing etc.
    Since last Monday I've had the overload message at dial-up quite
    regularly. I'm at the bottom of the North Island.

    Cheers, Kooky
    Kookaburra, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:28:52 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    > >For the last week I have endured bad connections, inability to connect to
    > >mail servers or surf, have to try another connection, reconnect later or
    > >use another ISP.
    > >

    > I've put it down to the school holidays with more kids playing games,
    > surfing etc.
    > Since last Monday I've had the overload message at dial-up quite
    > regularly. I'm at the bottom of the North Island.

    How long to the school holidays last?
    Mainlander, Sep 28, 2003
  5. Mainlander

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mainlander" wrote
    > For the last week I have endured bad connections, inability to connect to
    > mail servers or surf, have to try another connection, reconnect later or
    > use another ISP.
    > This is still happening as of date and it seems simply ridiculous to have
    > it going on for such a long time. In the interests of saving on ISP bills
    > I am considering switching to Xtra if Paradise doesn't fix this problem.

    Are you 100% sure that the problem isnt your end... I mean $50000 gear
    usually has less faults than $60 modems.
    T.N.O., Sep 29, 2003
  6. Mainlander

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:39:18 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:28:52 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >>
    >> >For the last week I have endured bad connections, inability to connect to
    >> >mail servers or surf, have to try another connection, reconnect later or
    >> >use another ISP.
    >> >

    >> I've put it down to the school holidays with more kids playing games,
    >> surfing etc.
    >> Since last Monday I've had the overload message at dial-up quite
    >> regularly. I'm at the bottom of the North Island.

    >How long to the school holidays last?

    It's usually only a couple of weeks. I would say it's back to school
    next week for them.

    Cheers, Kooky
    Kookaburra, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bl81pp$91b1j$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > "Mainlander" wrote
    > > For the last week I have endured bad connections, inability to connect to
    > > mail servers or surf, have to try another connection, reconnect later or
    > > use another ISP.
    > > This is still happening as of date and it seems simply ridiculous to have
    > > it going on for such a long time. In the interests of saving on ISP bills
    > > I am considering switching to Xtra if Paradise doesn't fix this problem.

    > Are you 100% sure that the problem isnt your end... I mean $50000 gear
    > usually has less faults than $60 modems.

    Any time I disconnect and hook up to Xtra, works totally fine.

    Have two PCs here, different modems in each one, different spec etc, same
    problems.
    Mainlander, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Mainlander

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mainlander" wrote
    > Any time I disconnect and hook up to Xtra, works totally fine.

    All this can sometime confirm is that the ISPs have the same gear... if the
    connection is going straight to IPnet, then this is 100% the case... but
    your second point below covers this.

    > Have two PCs here, different modems in each one, different spec etc, same
    > problems.

    Phone line... what else do you have plugged in, cordless phones, faxes,
    answering machines?
    T.N.O., Sep 29, 2003
  9. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:12:06 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    > Are you 100% sure that the problem isnt your end... I mean $50000 gear
    > usually has less faults than $60 modems.

    You'd be surprised, to say the least.

    $60 modem makers can't afford to have a 0.5% failure rate.

    $50k gear seems to have failure rates significantly higher than that.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 30, 2003
  10. Mainlander

    Andrew Guest

    Doesnt mean they cant have problems...

    Andrew, Sep 30, 2003
  11. Mainlander

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
    > > Are you 100% sure that the problem isnt your end... I mean $50000 gear
    > > usually has less faults than $60 modems.

    > You'd be surprised, to say the least.
    >
    > $60 modem makers can't afford to have a 0.5% failure rate.
    >
    > $50k gear seems to have failure rates significantly higher than that.

    True...
    T.N.O., Sep 30, 2003
  12. Mainlander

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Andrew" wrote
    > Doesnt mean they cant have problems...

    I know, but it should and usually is, less likely.
    T.N.O., Sep 30, 2003
  13. Mainlander

    Peter S Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <bl81pp$91b1j$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    > > "Mainlander" wrote
    > > > For the last week I have endured bad connections, inability to connect

    > > > mail servers or surf, have to try another connection, reconnect later

    or
    > > > use another ISP.
    > > > This is still happening as of date and it seems simply ridiculous to

    have
    > > > it going on for such a long time. In the interests of saving on ISP

    bills
    > > > I am considering switching to Xtra if Paradise doesn't fix this

    problem.

    > > Are you 100% sure that the problem isnt your end... I mean $50000 gear
    > > usually has less faults than $60 modems.

    > Any time I disconnect and hook up to Xtra, works totally fine.
    >
    > Have two PCs here, different modems in each one, different spec etc, same
    > problems.

    I'm another one.

    This is definitely a Paradise Christchurch problem. I have had the same
    problems, just
    over the last week. My connection with paradise has lived up to its name
    until the last week, when it has all gone horribly wrong.

    I get 31k connections, Hanging at the 'Registering computer on Network'
    stage, or can't find server messages - even trouble finding
    pop3.paradise.net.nz!! There is something wrong.

    Believe me I have had absolutely no problems with Paradise until the last
    week - I'm not sure what is going on, but will ring the support desk shortly
    if it doesn't resolve itself. The service I receive there will decide
    whether I stay with paradise or not.

    Pete.
    Peter S, Oct 1, 2003
  14. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <Urzeb.5554$>,
    says...

    > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > > In article <bl81pp$91b1j$-berlin.de>,
    > > says...
    > > > "Mainlander" wrote

    > or

    > have

    > bills

    > problem.
    > > >
    > > > Are you 100% sure that the problem isnt your end... I mean $50000 gear
    > > > usually has less faults than $60 modems.

    > > Any time I disconnect and hook up to Xtra, works totally fine.
    > >
    > > Have two PCs here, different modems in each one, different spec etc, same
    > > problems.

    > I'm another one.
    >
    > This is definitely a Paradise Christchurch problem. I have had the same
    > problems, just
    > over the last week. My connection with paradise has lived up to its name
    > until the last week, when it has all gone horribly wrong.
    >
    > I get 31k connections, Hanging at the 'Registering computer on Network'
    > stage, or can't find server messages - even trouble finding
    > pop3.paradise.net.nz!! There is something wrong.
    >
    > Believe me I have had absolutely no problems with Paradise until the last
    > week - I'm not sure what is going on, but will ring the support desk shortly
    > if it doesn't resolve itself. The service I receive there will decide
    > whether I stay with paradise or not.

    On reflection I probably will as Xtra's T&C giving them the right to read
    your emails sucks bigtime.
    Mainlander, Oct 2, 2003