    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Ross Dawson

    a.d. Guest

    Ross Dawson wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Does any knowledgeable person know when the cable problems in
    > Christchurch will be resolved.
    >
    > The problems have been ongoing since around mignight lastnight.

    From paradise's website:
    Cable Modem Outage Notification

    To carry out a modification on our network, we must impose an outage of
    cable modem service to users in the Wellington and Christchurch regions.
    This outage will occur at 12.01am (00.01) on the morning of Wednesday
    the 19th of October and will take a maximum of 6 hours to complete.

    We apologise for this outage and any inconvenience these may cause you.

    Sounds like someone's working overtime.

    a.d., Oct 19, 2005

  3. Ross Dawson

    mario Guest

    mario, Oct 19, 2005
  4. Ross Dawson

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:37:51 +1300, "a.d." <> wrote:

    >Ross Dawson wrote:
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> Does any knowledgeable person know when the cable problems in
    >> Christchurch will be resolved.
    >>
    >> The problems have been ongoing since around mignight lastnight.
    >>

    > From paradise's website:
    >Cable Modem Outage Notification
    >
    >To carry out a modification on our network, we must impose an outage of
    >cable modem service to users in the Wellington and Christchurch regions.
    >This outage will occur at 12.01am (00.01) on the morning of Wednesday
    >the 19th of October and will take a maximum of 6 hours to complete.
    >
    >We apologise for this outage and any inconvenience these may cause you.
    >
    >Sounds like someone's working overtime.

    Well as of now it's still not up for anything much longer than 4
    minutes at a stretch, with about 2 of that useable.

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Ross Dawson

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On 18 Oct 2005 19:48:36 -0700, wrote:

    >They've had status messages on the phone system since it was taken down
    >last night. Originally the work was supposed to be completed by 6am.
    >It didn't come up at 6am, so I went to bed for a few hours.
    >
    >At 9am I rang again and spoke to helpdesk who said that there was a
    >subsequent problem causing the modems not to come back online, they had
    >no ETA, I went back to bed.
    >
    >At 12pm or so I rang again and got an automated message to say that the
    >ETA was 2pm.
    >
    >At 2pm or so I rang again and got an automated message to say that
    >there was no ETA.
    >
    >About 2.30pm I rang again and the message said that Wellington was
    >fixed, and Christchurch ETA is about 5pm.
    >
    >Then I gave up and got on dialup.
    >
    >I hope whatever the damn changes they are making are worth it, between
    >problems last week accessing internatioal sites on port 80, and this, I
    >figure we are well past effectivly 24 hours "downtime" at least so far
    >as the web goes.

    Indeed, and 5pm has well and truely passed and the problem still
    persists.

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Ross Dawson

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Does any knowledgeable person know when the cable problems in
    > Christchurch will be resolved.
    >
    > The problems have been ongoing since around mignight lastnight.

    Working again as of just before 6pm tonight!!!

    They should have emailed everyone, but there was a *scheduled* outtage
    on their homepage (for at least the last week) saying it would be out
    from midnight to six am this morn.

    Obviously things didn't go well for them!

    I'm none too impressed.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 19, 2005
  7. Ross Dawson

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Still down for me @ 6:18pm. Grrrr
    >
    > Perhaps thier going around the main cabinets on the streets or
    > something, taking them farking long enough.

    Well all go here in Opawa - has been since 6pm approx as said. Maybe
    you should cycle the power on yer modem, see if it comes right.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 19, 2005
  8. Ross Dawson

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:07:30 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> Does any knowledgeable person know when the cable problems in
    >> Christchurch will be resolved.
    >>
    >> The problems have been ongoing since around mignight lastnight.

    >Working again as of just before 6pm tonight!!!
    >
    >They should have emailed everyone, but there was a *scheduled* outtage
    >on their homepage (for at least the last week) saying it would be out
    >from midnight to six am this morn.
    >
    >Obviously things didn't go well for them!
    >
    >I'm none too impressed.

    Your not the only one Duncan, especially when they can't be bothered
    to put a message on their phone system (as at 09:00 this morning), nor
    update their system status until mid afternoon.

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Oct 19, 2005
  9. Anyone know when the cable outage actually started?

    Although their page said 1201AM start time, I was still up and running
    in Wellington until I retired at about 2AM this morning

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 19, 2005
  10. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Anyone know when the cable outage actually started?
    >
    > Although their page said 1201AM start time, I was still up and running
    > in Wellington until I retired at about 2AM this morning
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    It went down up the coast at 0001.

    Dunno when it came back, I tried to make the best of a bad situation by
    using the time to reconfigure the power distribution here.

    Telstra really need to do something about these regular outages. They
    happen nearly every week, are never notified to the customers, and
    rarely to the helpdesk.

    If nothing else it demonstrates that there is NO redundancy in their
    network and that they seem to have forgotten one of the golden rules :

    "If it aint broken, don't fix it"

    Lame.

    Mark Robinson, Oct 19, 2005
  11. Ross Dawson

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:03:06 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Still down for me @ 6:18pm. Grrrr
    >>
    >> Perhaps thier going around the main cabinets on the streets or
    >> something, taking them farking long enough.

    >Well all go here in Opawa - has been since 6pm approx as said. Maybe
    >you should cycle the power on yer modem, see if it comes right.

    Mine came right just before 6 pm.

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Oct 19, 2005
  12. Ross Dawson

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Does any knowledgeable person know when the cable problems in
    > Christchurch will be resolved.
    >
    > The problems have been ongoing since around mignight lastnight.

    As far back as that? Paradise didn't put a status message on their site
    until 2.53 pm today.

    It was back at about 5 pm.

    Rob J, Oct 19, 2005
  13. Ross Dawson

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Ross Dawson wrote:
    > > Hi all.
    > >
    > > Does any knowledgeable person know when the cable problems in
    > > Christchurch will be resolved.
    > >
    > > The problems have been ongoing since around mignight lastnight.
    > >

    > From paradise's website:
    > Cable Modem Outage Notification
    >
    > To carry out a modification on our network, we must impose an outage of
    > cable modem service to users in the Wellington and Christchurch regions.
    > This outage will occur at 12.01am (00.01) on the morning of Wednesday
    > the 19th of October and will take a maximum of 6 hours to complete.
    >
    > We apologise for this outage and any inconvenience these may cause you.
    >
    > Sounds like someone's working overtime.

    It was out when I logged on 9 am this morning and continued till at
    least 5 pm.

    Rob J, Oct 19, 2005
  14. Ross Dawson

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > They've had status messages on the phone system since it was taken down
    > last night. Originally the work was supposed to be completed by 6am.
    > It didn't come up at 6am, so I went to bed for a few hours.
    >
    > At 9am I rang again and spoke to helpdesk who said that there was a
    > subsequent problem causing the modems not to come back online, they had
    > no ETA, I went back to bed.
    >
    > At 12pm or so I rang again and got an automated message to say that the
    > ETA was 2pm.
    >
    > At 2pm or so I rang again and got an automated message to say that
    > there was no ETA.
    >
    > About 2.30pm I rang again and the message said that Wellington was
    > fixed, and Christchurch ETA is about 5pm.
    >
    > Then I gave up and got on dialup.
    >
    > I hope whatever the damn changes they are making are worth it, between
    > problems last week accessing internatioal sites on port 80, and this, I
    > figure we are well past effectivly 24 hours "downtime" at least so far
    > as the web goes.

    Damn ihug dialup has been flaky too, a few times IPNet seems to have
    been down outright (Ihug and Xtra both affected).

    Rob J, Oct 19, 2005
  15. Ross Dawson

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:07:30 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> Hi all.
    > >>
    > >> Does any knowledgeable person know when the cable problems in
    > >> Christchurch will be resolved.
    > >>
    > >> The problems have been ongoing since around mignight lastnight.

    > >Working again as of just before 6pm tonight!!!
    > >
    > >They should have emailed everyone, but there was a *scheduled* outtage
    > >on their homepage (for at least the last week) saying it would be out
    > >from midnight to six am this morn.
    > >
    > >Obviously things didn't go well for them!
    > >
    > >I'm none too impressed.

    > Your not the only one Duncan, especially when they can't be bothered
    > to put a message on their phone system (as at 09:00 this morning), nor
    > update their system status until mid afternoon.

    Until some big outage a year or so ago they didn't even both with a
    status page.

    Rob J, Oct 19, 2005
  16. Ross Dawson

    Rob J Guest

    In article <2tod.net>,
    2tod.net says...
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > > Anyone know when the cable outage actually started?
    > >
    > > Although their page said 1201AM start time, I was still up and running
    > > in Wellington until I retired at about 2AM this morning
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Nathan
    > >

    > It went down up the coast at 0001.
    >
    > Dunno when it came back, I tried to make the best of a bad situation by
    > using the time to reconfigure the power distribution here.
    >
    > Telstra really need to do something about these regular outages. They
    > happen nearly every week, are never notified to the customers, and
    > rarely to the helpdesk.

    Is it just cable or does it also affect ADSL?

    Rob J, Oct 19, 2005
  17. Ross Dawson

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    am says...
    > In article <2tod.net>,
    > 2tod.net says...
    > > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > > > Anyone know when the cable outage actually started?
    > > >
    > > > Although their page said 1201AM start time, I was still up and running
    > > > in Wellington until I retired at about 2AM this morning
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > > Nathan
    > > >

    > > It went down up the coast at 0001.
    > >
    > > Dunno when it came back, I tried to make the best of a bad situation by
    > > using the time to reconfigure the power distribution here.
    > >
    > > Telstra really need to do something about these regular outages. They
    > > happen nearly every week, are never notified to the customers, and
    > > rarely to the helpdesk.

    > Is it just cable or does it also affect ADSL?

    Just south island cable customers - ie, Christchurch.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 20, 2005