    NZ Winelinks - Linking you to the Wines, Vineyards and Viticulture of New
    Zealand
    Web: http://www.nzwinelinks.co.nz

    JB, Jan 15, 2004

  2. JB

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:05:07 +1300, JB wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm Thinking about dumping the 56K modem and going with the 256Kb Telstra /
    > Paradise Cable package, 10Gb etc. Has anyone been using this and is it any
    > good?
    >
    > Is it better to use a USB or install a 10/100 Ethernet card to connect the
    > Cable Modem?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > JB
    >
    > NZ Winelinks - Linking you to the Wines, Vineyards and Viticulture of New
    > Zealand
    > Web: http://www.nzwinelinks.co.nz

    Yep. I'm in Christchurch & using Telstra cable (via paraidse)
    Been using it for near on a year, and would never go back to dialup, given
    a choice.

    It seems to be very reliable. I've never really had any problems. It seems
    a bit slow lately, but I think that's my end (I need to tweak it a bit....)

    I use the cable modem via usb. I was told when I got it that I'd be better
    to use a network card, but haven't had any probs so I haven't felt the
    need to shell out for one (even though they're pretty cheap these days)

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Jan 15, 2004

  3. JB

    harry Guest

    JB wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm Thinking about dumping the 56K modem and going with the 256Kb
    > Telstra / Paradise Cable package, 10Gb etc. Has anyone been using
    > this and is it any good?
    >
    > Is it better to use a USB or install a 10/100 Ethernet card to
    > connect the Cable Modem?

    I'm a Wellington cable user.
    Its a much better option than ADSL
    I recommend connecting to your cable modem with a network card.
    They cost $16 at dick smiths.
    Its a lot easier to get a long network cable or install wiring to other
    parts of the house with CAT 5 ethernet cable, than use USB. Ethernet kit is
    cheap and fast.
    If you want to share the connection to other PCs you can add a router. Dick
    Smiths have a suitable one for $99 which has an ethernet input.
    Our house often has about 6 PCs connected

    harry, Jan 15, 2004
  4. JB

    JB Guest

    "SomebodyElse" <> wrote in message

    > Yep. I'm in Christchurch & using Telstra cable (via paraidse)
    > Been using it for near on a year, and would never go back to dialup, given
    > a choice.
    >
    > It seems to be very reliable. I've never really had any problems. It seems
    > a bit slow lately, but I think that's my end (I need to tweak it a

    bit....)

    > I use the cable modem via usb. I was told when I got it that I'd be better
    > to use a network card, but haven't had any probs so I haven't felt the
    > need to shell out for one (even though they're pretty cheap these days)
    >
    > - Scott

    Thanks Scott

    What sort of D/load speeds do you get?

    I'll probably get an ethernet card as all my USB ports are full, webcam,
    scanner, palm, printer, camera etc

    Cheers

    JB

    JB, Jan 15, 2004
  5. JB

    JB Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message

    > I'm a Wellington cable user.
    > Its a much better option than ADSL
    > I recommend connecting to your cable modem with a network card.
    > They cost $16 at dick smiths.
    > Its a lot easier to get a long network cable or install wiring to other
    > parts of the house with CAT 5 ethernet cable, than use USB. Ethernet kit

    is
    > cheap and fast.
    > If you want to share the connection to other PCs you can add a router.

    Dick
    > Smiths have a suitable one for $99 which has an ethernet input.
    > Our house often has about 6 PCs connected

    Cheers Harry

    Cool, All I'll need then is some cable, a router and another 5 PC's hehe!!!

    JB

    JB, Jan 15, 2004
  6. JB

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:34:46 +1300, JB wrote:

    > I'll probably get an ethernet card as all my USB ports are full, webcam,
    > scanner, palm, printer, camera etc

    The whole 127 of them? ;-)

    Gordon, Jan 16, 2004
  7. > Hi

    /
    > Paradise Cable package, 10Gb etc. Has anyone been using this and is it any
    > good?
    >
    > Is it better to use a USB or install a 10/100 Ethernet card to connect the
    > Cable Modem?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > JB

    It's great, i had that a few years ago when it first came through New
    Brighton, but had to give it up when i moved. Now i'm back in an area with
    cable. TelstraClear will be getting a phone call from me very soon :)

    Use the network option if you can, also a router is very convienent. Not
    only for sharing the connection, but also serves to protect your computer.
    Cable can just leave it wide open on the internet if your computer isn't
    configured well (it's not by any means a fault of the cable modem or
    service).

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Gordon wrote:
    >>I'll probably get an ethernet card as all my USB ports are full, webcam,
    >>scanner, palm, printer, camera etc

    > The whole 127 of them? ;-)

    ever tried using more than three piggy backed devices without hitting
    either the bandwidth or power cap?

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 16, 2004
  9. JB

    JB Guest

    Hi

    Thanks everyone for the advice - went to DSE and bought a 10/100 ethernet
    card, Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - $16.00 installed,
    booted up and away we go - all set to go when the Telstra man arrives.
    WhooHoo!!!

    Cheers

    JB

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in