PAR2 Files and Corrupted Files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by english patient, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. I am very much a newbie with PAR2 files, I have got QuickPar and have read

    http://www.quickpar.org.uk/CreatingPAR2Files.htm

    What I need is some clarification with a few minor(?) details.

    ----

    Posting 20 files (FILE01 ->FILE20) in four batches over the next 4 days

    DAY-1 FILE01->FILE05
    DAY-2 FILE06->FILE10
    DAY-3 FILE11->FILE15
    DAY-4 FILE16->FILE20

    Each day I also post a QuickSFV file created to verify files posted that
    day.

    DAY-1.SFV, DAY-2.SFV, DAY-3.SFV, DAY-4.SFV

    A downloader finds they have a corrupted FILE07.

    If I create PAR2 files (having as my source files FILE01->FILE20)

    then for this downloader to fix his FILE07 he would need to wait until DAY-4
    when he has downloaded all 20 files for the PAR2 files to work -> RIGHT (?)

    If I wanted to give downloaders a DAYs worth of uncorrupted files each day
    I'd need to create PAR2 files having as my source files those I post for
    each given day -> RIGHT (?)

    --

    Corrupted files
    ---------------

    What exactly is a corrupted file ?

    I'm a frequent mp3 uploader to various newsgroups. PowerPost2000 splits each
    file into a number of segments which are then posted.

    When I use my newsgroup reader program to list the message headers of the
    particular newsgroup I see something like:

    ........... FILE07.mp3 (01/05)
    ........... FILE07.mp3 (02/05)
    ........... FILE07.mp3 (03/05)
    ........... FILE07.mp3 (04/05)
    ........... FILE07.mp3 (05/05)

    To get at the file, I highlight all 5 parts/segments and combine/decode
    or in my other newsgroup reader, I mark to download any one of the segments,
    the reader then marks the rest of the segments of the file, and I can then
    download and combine them to give the FILE07.mp3

    I can understand the case where all segments arrive, but one happens to get
    fkt/corrupted in transit, so after combined/decoded we get a corrupted file.

    But, sometimes (very rarely) one of the segments gets lost, goes missing

    ........... FILE07.mp3 (01/05)
    ........... FILE07.mp3 (02/05)
    ........... FILE07.mp3 (04/05)
    ........... FILE07.mp3 (05/05)

    If someone was to combine and decode the available segments, would this be a
    corrupt file?
    And could this be fixed using appropriate PAR2 files?

    If someone posts me to say FILE07 is corrupted and asks for PAR2 files what
    would the difference be between:

    (1) creating PAR2 files (having as my source files just FILE01)
    and
    (2) creating PAR2 files (having as my source files FILE01->FILE05)

    They'd both do the job, right (?)

    ---------

    Being a dial-up person I want to limit the posting the unnecessary.

    Would the clever/shortest/least wastefull thing be, each day, (using DAY-2
    as example)

    as well as the 5 mp3 (FILE06->FILE10), the DAY-2.SFV

    to also post a DAY-2.PAR2 and DAY-2.vol000+01.PAR2 file

    which if I read the help-page correctly, could be used to check for any
    corruptness that day and if so would tell them how many blocks they'd could
    request from me to fix the fkt files?

    P.
    english patient, Jun 10, 2004

  2. english patient wrote:

    > I am very much a newbie with PAR2 files, I have got QuickPar and have read
    >
    > http://www.quickpar.org.uk/CreatingPAR2Files.htm
    >
    > What I need is some clarification with a few minor(?) details.
    >
    > ----
    >
    > Posting 20 files (FILE01 ->FILE20) in four batches over the next 4 days
    >
    > DAY-1 FILE01->FILE05
    > DAY-2 FILE06->FILE10
    > DAY-3 FILE11->FILE15
    > DAY-4 FILE16->FILE20
    >
    > Each day I also post a QuickSFV file created to verify files posted that
    > day.
    >
    > DAY-1.SFV, DAY-2.SFV, DAY-3.SFV, DAY-4.SFV
    >
    > A downloader finds they have a corrupted FILE07.
    >
    > If I create PAR2 files (having as my source files FILE01->FILE20)
    >
    > then for this downloader to fix his FILE07 he would need to wait until DAY-4
    > when he has downloaded all 20 files for the PAR2 files to work -> RIGHT (?)

    Right.

    > If I wanted to give downloaders a DAYs worth of uncorrupted files each day
    > I'd need to create PAR2 files having as my source files those I post for
    > each given day -> RIGHT (?)

    Right. But this will give you a bunch of leechers complaining that your
    par sets don't work with the whole download.
    > --
    >
    > Corrupted files
    > ---------------
    >
    > What exactly is a corrupted file ?

    A file that no longer is identical to the one you posted.
    <snip>
    > But, sometimes (very rarely) one of the segments gets lost, goes missing
    >
    > ........... FILE07.mp3 (01/05)
    > ........... FILE07.mp3 (02/05)
    > ........... FILE07.mp3 (04/05)
    > ........... FILE07.mp3 (05/05)
    >
    > If someone was to combine and decode the available segments, would this be a
    > corrupt file?

    yes it would.
    > And could this be fixed using appropriate PAR2 files?

    Yes it could. But in powerpost you could also post just the missing
    part. This is known as a segment fill.

    > If someone posts me to say FILE07 is corrupted and asks for PAR2 files what
    > would the difference be between:
    >
    > (1) creating PAR2 files (having as my source files just FILE01)
    > and
    > (2) creating PAR2 files (having as my source files FILE01->FILE05)
    >
    > They'd both do the job, right (?)

    yes they would. However, when using option 1, for the sake of the other
    leechers I'd reccomend clearly indicating that this is an extra par file
    just for that file.

    > ---------
    >
    > Being a dial-up person I want to limit the posting the unnecessary.
    >
    > Would the clever/shortest/least wastefull thing be, each day, (using DAY-2
    > as example)
    >
    > as well as the 5 mp3 (FILE06->FILE10), the DAY-2.SFV
    >
    > to also post a DAY-2.PAR2 and DAY-2.vol000+01.PAR2 file
    >
    > which if I read the help-page correctly, could be used to check for any
    > corruptness that day and if so would tell them how many blocks they'd could
    > request from me to fix the fkt files?

    I'd post that sfv file each day and post about 5% of par2 blocks after
    the whole post. If there's enough complaints you can post an additional
    5 or even 10%.
    Remember that it's impossible to please everyone. There will allways be
    some whining leechers on crappy servers who'd rather complain than fork
    out the few dollars for an account with one of the big news providers.

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    Jeroen Wijnands, Jun 11, 2004

  3. "Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    message news:40c95afd$0$48933$4all.nl...
    > english patient wrote:
    >
    > > I am very much a newbie with PAR2 files, I have got QuickPar and have

    read

    > > http://www.quickpar.org.uk/CreatingPAR2Files.htm
    > >
    > > What I need is some clarification with a few minor(?) details.

    BIG-SNIP

    > I'd post that sfv file each day and post about 5% of par2 blocks after
    > the whole post. If there's enough complaints you can post an additional
    > 5 or even 10%.
    > Remember that it's impossible to please everyone. There will allways be
    > some whining leechers on crappy servers who'd rather complain than fork
    > out the few dollars for an account with one of the big news providers.
    >

    > --
    > Groeten/Regards
    > Jeroen Wijnands
    > jeroen at wijnands punt xs4all punt nl

    Thanx for this, kinda confirmed a few things for me.

    I consider myself a master of the segment fill, and it gets so frustrating
    to receive requests for whole file reposts, when all they're missing is a
    single bit.

    I've stayed away from posting PAR2s for as longer as possible, their
    workings being too confusing for me. But after being constantly pestered for
    the damn things, even when I make it plain how dead against them I am, it is
    probably simpler to buckle down and learn about them. Much easier than
    sending the boys round to bitch-slap all the "whining leechers on crappy
    servers" who can't be a$$ed to read the info-file.

    Just completed a 6 day 300+MB dial-up upload to one of the audiobook
    newsgroups.
    If I undertake anything like that again it'd probably be a good idea to join
    the Par2-posting club.

    EP.
    english patient, Jun 11, 2004
  4. english patient wrote:

    > "Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    > message news:40c95afd$0$48933$4all.nl...
    >> english patient wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am very much a newbie with PAR2 files, I have got QuickPar and have

    > read
    >> >
    >> > http://www.quickpar.org.uk/CreatingPAR2Files.htm
    >> >
    >> > What I need is some clarification with a few minor(?) details.
    >> >

    > BIG-SNIP
    >> >

    >> I'd post that sfv file each day and post about 5% of par2 blocks after
    >> the whole post. If there's enough complaints you can post an additional
    >> 5 or even 10%.
    >> Remember that it's impossible to please everyone. There will allways be
    >> some whining leechers on crappy servers who'd rather complain than fork
    >> out the few dollars for an account with one of the big news providers.
    >>

    > Thanx for this, kinda confirmed a few things for me.
    >
    > I consider myself a master of the segment fill, and it gets so frustrating
    > to receive requests for whole file reposts, when all they're missing is a
    > single bit.

    Nice to see another practicioner of this dying art.

    > I've stayed away from posting PAR2s for as longer as possible, their
    > workings being too confusing for me. But after being constantly pestered for
    > the damn things, even when I make it plain how dead against them I am, it is
    > probably simpler to buckle down and learn about them. Much easier than
    > sending the boys round to bitch-slap all the "whining leechers on crappy
    > servers" who can't be a$$ed to read the info-file.

    Hey, I want royalties for that quote! ;-)

    > Just completed a 6 day 300+MB dial-up upload to one of the audiobook
    > newsgroups.
    > If I undertake anything like that again it'd probably be a good idea to join
    > the Par2-posting club.

    :cool: you must live in the land of the flat-fee local call.

    My posting policy has been for quite a while
    - if I had cover's I'd have posted them, dumbass!
    - 10% extra pars after 18 hours and only if you ask nicely
    - I'm not reposting for people who can't be bother to fork out the $10
    for a 25gb from astraweb.
    - idiots who repost my posting within 7 days of the original post get
    ploinked.

    Have a nice weekend!

    Jeroen Wijnands, Jun 11, 2004