    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
    Scott Streeter, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Scott Streeter

    unclejr Guest

    Scott Streeter wrote:
    > So what's this trend with paper sleeves that mimics the dvd cover?
    > Increadibles has it. Spiderman2, King Authur. Really unnecessary...

    Some of us ENJOY the slip covers! If you don't want one, take it off
    and leave the slip cover on the shelf before you buy it... Now, was
    that so hard?

    -Junior
    unclejr, Mar 16, 2005

  3. "unclejr" <> writes:

    > Scott Streeter wrote:
    > > So what's this trend with paper sleeves that mimics the dvd cover?
    > > Increadibles has it. Spiderman2, King Authur. Really unnecessary...

    > Some of us ENJOY the slip covers! If you don't want one, take it off
    > and leave the slip cover on the shelf before you buy it... Now, was
    > that so hard?
    >
    > -Junior

    When you buy it mail order you don't have that opportunity. It's no
    big deal I just think it's strange.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
    Scott Streeter, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Scott Streeter

    lugnut Guest

    On 16 Mar 2005 14:58:15 -0500, Scott Streeter <> wrote:

    >"unclejr" <> writes:
    >
    >> Scott Streeter wrote:
    >> > So what's this trend with paper sleeves that mimics the dvd cover?
    >> > Increadibles has it. Spiderman2, King Authur. Really unnecessary...

    >> Some of us ENJOY the slip covers! If you don't want one, take it off
    >> and leave the slip cover on the shelf before you buy it... Now, was
    >> that so hard?
    >>
    >> -Junior

    >When you buy it mail order you don't have that opportunity. It's no
    >big deal I just think it's strange.

    And it does seem just a wee bit stupid when companies cite
    cost-cutting measures as a reason for not including a chapter
    index/insert, but they don't have a problem churning out these glossy
    slipcovers.

    -lugnut
    lugnut, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Scott Streeter

    John Eckart Guest

    "lugnut" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On 16 Mar 2005 14:58:15 -0500, Scott Streeter <> wrote:

    >>> Some of us ENJOY the slip covers! If you don't want one, take it off
    >>> and leave the slip cover on the shelf before you buy it... Now, was
    >>> that so hard?
    >>>
    >>> -Junior

    >>When you buy it mail order you don't have that opportunity. It's no
    >>big deal I just think it's strange.

    > And it does seem just a wee bit stupid when companies cite
    > cost-cutting measures as a reason for not including a chapter
    > index/insert, but they don't have a problem churning out these glossy
    > slipcovers.
    >
    > -lugnut

    lol
    John Eckart, Mar 18, 2005
  6. Scott Streeter

    Guest

    wrote:

    cover?

    unnecessary...

    > And it does seem just a wee bit stupid when companies cite
    > cost-cutting measures as a reason for not including a chapter
    > index/insert, but they don't have a problem churning out these glossy
    > slipcovers.

    It's all in the scale -- for something that's going to sell a
    bazillion copies the incremental cost of a sleeve approaches zero. For
    a small-scale release the production and printing cost for an insert
    might be a significant portion of the budget for the release.

    There are a few reasons I can think of for the slipcovers, but the
    basic one is that they know they connote "special release" to Joe
    Public and that that translates to sales. They also allow for flashier
    and more eye-catching printing techniques, make counterfeits easier to
    identify, and give you something that will actually wear out and look
    bad over time, not a bad thing from the studios' perspective.

    JGM
    , Mar 18, 2005