Paper recommendations for an Epson 3800

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Stevens, Jun 18, 2009.

  1. Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens Guest

    I've just retired my Epson 1800 printer with its Ultrachrome inks in
    exchange for an Epson 3800 with its K3 inks. I'm now trying to come to
    grips with the range of papers available to me for this printer. The
    price of paper is rather too much for me to experiment with and I am
    rather at a loss of what to try. Epson is an obvious starter but I
    also have access to Ilford and Hanemuhl.

    My printer is not the only thing which has just retired, I have too.
    My previous photography was technical (engineering) for which glossy
    paper was ideal. I am now releasing the pent-up photographer within me
    so its all an entirely new ball game. Portraits will be a minor part
    of what I do. Most of it will be general scenery and things that
    happen in the real world.

    I would be very grateful for any comments from people with relevant
    experience.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Jun 18, 2009

  2. Eric Stevens

    daveFaktor Guest

    Eric Stevens wrote:
    > I've just retired my Epson 1800 printer with its Ultrachrome inks in
    > exchange for an Epson 3800 with its K3 inks. I'm now trying to come to
    > grips with the range of papers available to me for this printer. The
    > price of paper is rather too much for me to experiment with and I am
    > rather at a loss of what to try. Epson is an obvious starter but I
    > also have access to Ilford and Hanemuhl.
    >
    > My printer is not the only thing which has just retired, I have too.
    > My previous photography was technical (engineering) for which glossy
    > paper was ideal. I am now releasing the pent-up photographer within me
    > so its all an entirely new ball game. Portraits will be a minor part
    > of what I do. Most of it will be general scenery and things that
    > happen in the real world.
    >
    > I would be very grateful for any comments from people with relevant
    > experience.
    >

    > Eric Stevens

    Ilford is excellent with a 3800. You can either get a profile from
    ilford or if you are fussy, have one made for you. Hanemuhl is made by
    HP. It works OK but I prefer Moabe for rag paper.

    You might care to check out a small manufacturer with excellent products
    called breathing color. The havea full range of highly regarded paper
    and will give you profiles free for their range. A sample pack is
    available for most stuff too. I particularly like their canvas and matt,
    fine art paper. It's all 100% compatible with Epson and Pantone inks.

    Of course if you can afford Epson papers, be my guest! Nothing at all
    wrong with them except the price.
    daveFaktor, Jun 18, 2009

  3. Eric Stevens

    John Navas Guest

    <http://www.breathingcolor.com/>

    --
    Best regards,
    John
    John Navas, Jun 18, 2009
  4. On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:34:40 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >I've just retired my Epson 1800 printer with its Ultrachrome inks in
    >exchange for an Epson 3800 with its K3 inks. I'm now trying to come to
    >grips with the range of papers available to me for this printer. The

    [snip]

    I've been using Ilford "Gold Fibre Silk" and Harman "Gloss FB AI".
    Both are baryta-based papers. Of the two, I normally go for the Gold
    Fibre Silk as it is less glossy than the Harman. The Ilford is a bit
    warmer than the Harmon. It's really down to personal preference
    between the two...oh, and you should check the prices as that may
    determine which paper to go for!
    --
    Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Website : www.metalvortex.com
    Contact : www.metalvortex.com/contact/

    Brain! Brain! What is brain?!
    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Jun 18, 2009
  5. Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:09:00 -0700, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:18:03 +1000, daveFaktor <>
    >wrote in <>:
    >
    >>Eric Stevens wrote:
    >>> I've just retired my Epson 1800 printer with its Ultrachrome inks in
    >>> exchange for an Epson 3800 with its K3 inks. I'm now trying to come to
    >>> grips with the range of papers available to me for this printer. The
    >>> price of paper is rather too much for me to experiment with and I am
    >>> rather at a loss of what to try. Epson is an obvious starter but I
    >>> also have access to Ilford and Hanemuhl.
    >>>
    >>> My printer is not the only thing which has just retired, I have too.
    >>> My previous photography was technical (engineering) for which glossy
    >>> paper was ideal. I am now releasing the pent-up photographer within me
    >>> so its all an entirely new ball game. Portraits will be a minor part
    >>> of what I do. Most of it will be general scenery and things that
    >>> happen in the real world.
    >>>
    >>> I would be very grateful for any comments from people with relevant
    >>> experience.

    >>Ilford is excellent with a 3800. You can either get a profile from
    >>ilford or if you are fussy, have one made for you. Hanemuhl is made by
    >>HP. It works OK but I prefer Moabe for rag paper.
    >>
    >>You might care to check out a small manufacturer with excellent products
    >>called breathing color. The havea full range of highly regarded paper
    >>and will give you profiles free for their range. A sample pack is
    >>available for most stuff too. I particularly like their canvas and matt,
    >>fine art paper. It's all 100% compatible with Epson and Pantone inks.

    ><http://www.breathingcolor.com/>

    They make it sound great!

    The only problem is that all their paper is in roll form and the 3800
    will not handle rolls. They say its flat after printing but I'm not
    sure how it would behave if it was cut into shorter sheet lengths
    before printing.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Jun 18, 2009
  6. Eric Stevens

    daveFaktor Guest

    Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:09:00 -0700, John Navas
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:18:03 +1000, daveFaktor <>
    >> wrote in <>:

    >>> Ilford is excellent with a 3800. You can either get a profile from
    >>> ilford or if you are fussy, have one made for you. Hanemuhl is made by
    >>> HP. It works OK but I prefer Moabe for rag paper.
    >>>
    >>> You might care to check out a small manufacturer with excellent products
    >>> called breathing color. The havea full range of highly regarded paper
    >>> and will give you profiles free for their range. A sample pack is
    >>> available for most stuff too. I particularly like their canvas and matt,
    >>> fine art paper. It's all 100% compatible with Epson and Pantone inks.

    >> <http://www.breathingcolor.com/>

    > They make it sound great!
    >
    > The only problem is that all their paper is in roll form and the 3800
    > will not handle rolls. They say its flat after printing but I'm not
    > sure how it would behave if it was cut into shorter sheet lengths
    > before printing.
    >

    > Eric Stevens

    That's not entirely correct. I use a home made roll holder for my
    printer and it works just fine. There is a rear paper feed opening. When
    you push paper into it, the machine picks it up and transports it ready
    to print. I use a piece of plastic plumbing pipe for a spindle and two v
    blocks I cut from timber.

    breathing color sell everything except canvas and vinyl in boxes up to
    13"x19". Some more expensive stuff comes in packets.

    Right now, I'm using up some 48" rolls in mine by cutting pieces 17"
    wide x 48" long from rolls where I stop using paper due to its step that
    shows up in the last two or three wraps on the cardboard tube. My wide
    printer doesn't like the lumps it causes. Nice panoramas 17 x 48! I'll
    consign to galleries.

    If you get paper with a curl in it, use a hair dryer to flatten it. Just
    don't get it hot enough to melt the coating. It will flatten just with
    the warm air alone.
    daveFaktor, Jun 19, 2009