Paparazzi

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by turtill@hotmail.com, May 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , May 9, 2006

  2. rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I have been watching a program about these chaps taking pics and down
    > their laptops for the photographs?
    > pete
    > --
    > http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich/

    Could be any one of a few hundred.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary

    The Old Sourdough, May 9, 2006

  3. Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I have been watching a program about these chaps taking pics and down
    > their laptops for the photographs?
    > pete
    > --
    > http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich/

    Pete

    Most photographers using digital will shoot their pictures using the RAW
    format as the jpeg converter in most cameras isn't exactly brilliant. So
    I'd think Adobe Photoshop would be the software most likely to be used
    by professional photographers.

    RAW is exactly what it sounds like; a more raw, uncompressed format.
    Unfortunately it's also huge when it comes to file size. A 256MB XD card
    in my Fuji 4 megapixel camera can generally only hold about 30 RAW
    format pictures.

    FR

    Flying Rat, May 9, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 14:30:11 -0500, The Old Sourdough
    <> wrote:

    > rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> I have been watching a program about these chaps taking pics and down
    >> their laptops for the photographs?

    >Could be any one of a few hundred.

    Well yes, most of us can do the same with our boxes. I was just
    wondering if paparazzi use a particular program because it is standard
    throughout the various agencies who buy pics?
    pete

    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich/

    , May 9, 2006
  5. Guest

    On Tue, 9 May 2006 20:46:11 +0100, Flying Rat <> wrote:

    >In article <>, says...
    >> I have been watching a program about these chaps taking pics and down
    >> their laptops for the photographs?

    >Pete
    >
    >Most photographers using digital will shoot their pictures using the RAW
    >format as the jpeg converter in most cameras isn't exactly brilliant. So
    >I'd think Adobe Photoshop would be the software most likely to be used
    >by professional photographers.

    This is what I do not understand. The RAW bit. My mickey mouse camera
    will download to my computer and I can use PaintShop Pro to improve
    the pics and then mail them as links or as files.

    >RAW is exactly what it sounds like; a more raw, uncompressed format.
    >Unfortunately it's also huge when it comes to file size. A 256MB XD card
    >in my Fuji 4 megapixel camera can generally only hold about 30 RAW
    >format pictures.

    I have a 128MB memory card in my Canon Digital IXUS 40 and I can get
    quite a few snaps on it, many more than 30 but that must be because I
    do not shoot RAW format. Indeed I do not even know what RAW format is?
    pete

  6. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > I have been watching a program about these chaps taking pics and down
    > their laptops for the photographs?
    > pete
    > --
    > http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich/

    I don't see what that has to do with paparazzi.
    Could you explain why you think those pages have something to do with
    paparazzi, or why you care what software they use?

    (The quick answer to learn what software they use is to ask the
    paparazii or ask where they submit the images.)

    Mitch, May 9, 2006
  7. Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 20:06:22 +0100, wrote:

    >I have been watching a program about these chaps taking pics and down
    >their laptops for the photographs?

    Umm... probably the software that came with their camera.

    Evan Platt, May 9, 2006
  8. Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 21:43:37 +0100, wrote:

    >This is what I do not understand. The RAW bit. My mickey mouse camera
    >will download to my computer and I can use PaintShop Pro to improve
    >the pics and then mail them as links or as files.

    They won't come out to the quality of a picture news media uses.
    Color bleed, saturation, tones, etc.

    >I have a 128MB memory card in my Canon Digital IXUS 40 and I can get
    >quite a few snaps on it, many more than 30 but that must be because I
    >do not shoot RAW format. Indeed I do not even know what RAW format is?

    Flying Rat just explained to you what RAW is.

    Evan Platt, May 9, 2006
  9. Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 14:02:50 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 May 2006 20:06:22 +0100, wrote:
    >
    >>I have been watching a program about these chaps taking pics and down
    >>their laptops for the photographs?

    >Umm... probably the software that came with their camera.

    Really! As straight forward as that. But I suppose their cameras being
    multi thousand pound pieces of kit have different software than I
    would get with my cheapo Canon IXUS 40. I am just trying to find my
    way around here before I spend money on something that does very
    little more than what I already have.
    pete
    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich/

    , May 10, 2006
  10. Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 14:30:32 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 May 2006 21:43:37 +0100, wrote:
    >
    >>This is what I do not understand. The RAW bit. My mickey mouse camera
    >>will download to my computer and I can use PaintShop Pro to improve
    >>the pics and then mail them as links or as files.

    >They won't come out to the quality of a picture news media uses.
    >Color bleed, saturation, tones, etc.

    I see. I wondered how they managed to blow pics up to full page
    without blemishes being blown up too.

    >>I have a 128MB memory card in my Canon Digital IXUS 40 and I can get
    >>quite a few snaps on it, many more than 30 but that must be because I
    >>do not shoot RAW format. Indeed I do not even know what RAW format is?

    >Flying Rat just explained to you what RAW is.

    Yes indeed. I will have to see if my camera will work in RAW format.
    pete

  11. Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 01:24:56 +0100, wrote:

    >I see. I wondered how they managed to blow pics up to full page
    >without blemishes being blown up too.

    Among other things, they don't use 4 megapixel cameras. Likely they're
    10 or more.

    >Yes indeed. I will have to see if my camera will work in RAW format.

    http://digitalcameras.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_12034313/124901.html

    Nope, it won't.

    Evan Platt, May 10, 2006
  12. Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 01:21:24 +0100, wrote:

    >Really! As straight forward as that. But I suppose their cameras being
    >multi thousand pound pieces of kit have different software than I
    >would get with my cheapo Canon IXUS 40. I am just trying to find my
    >way around here before I spend money on something that does very
    >little more than what I already have.

    Yes, and likely their software won't work with your camera. Keep in
    mind most software is simply to transfer images from the camera to the
    computer.

    High end pro cameras likely don't come with fancy photo editing
    software. Of course, you can buy most any photo editing software in
    the stores.

    But don't expect to be able to blow up your photos to 8.5x11.

    Evan Platt, May 10, 2006
  13. Trax Guest

    Good photo links here http://astalavista.box.sk/

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    Trax, May 10, 2006
  14. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Evan Platt spewed forth:
    > On Wed, 10 May 2006 01:24:56 +0100, wrote:
    >
    >> I see. I wondered how they managed to blow pics up to full page
    >> without blemishes being blown up too.

    > Among other things, they don't use 4 megapixel cameras. Likely they're
    > 10 or more.
    >
    >> Yes indeed. I will have to see if my camera will work in RAW format.

    > http://digitalcameras.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_12034313/124901.html
    >
    > Nope, it won't.

    There's quite a difference between digital "snapshot" cameras and a high-end
    professional mode. I'd /love/ to upgrade <g>

    Toolman Tim, May 10, 2006
  15. Mark S. Guest

    <> wrote

    >>> I have been watching a program about these chaps taking pics and down
    >>> their laptops for the photographs?

    >>Could be any one of a few hundred.

    > Well yes, most of us can do the same with our boxes. I was just
    > wondering if paparazzi use a particular program because it is standard
    > throughout the various agencies who buy pics?

    Are you talking about the program called "Paparazzi" showing in the uk at
    the moment?

    What makes you think it is standard?

    Now I think you're talking about different types of software.
    1. Software to download the photos from the camera to the PC. This is
    typically vendor specific, but some camera models can act as a Removable
    Disk, and you can just use Windows Explorer (or Mac equivalent) to copy to
    the PC.
    2. Software to upload the photos to the Central HQ. I dont know of any such
    software. Emailing the photos is a pretty simple thing to do.
    3. Software to edit and enhace the photos. While there are decent image
    editors such as Nikon Capture that can work with Jpeg and the Raw Nikon
    image format, the standard is Adobe Photoshop (which does have support for
    many raw image formats).

    Mark S., May 10, 2006
  16. Mark S. Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > There's quite a difference between digital "snapshot" cameras and a
    > high-end professional mode. I'd /love/ to upgrade <g>

    Its cheaper than you might think. Check out the Nikon D50 or the Canon 350D.
    Not that much more expensive than a top of the range digital compact.

    Mark S., May 10, 2006
  17. Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:50:08 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 May 2006 01:24:56 +0100, wrote:
    >
    >>I see. I wondered how they managed to blow pics up to full page
    >>without blemishes being blown up too.

    >Among other things, they don't use 4 megapixel cameras. Likely they're
    >10 or more.
    >
    >>Yes indeed. I will have to see if my camera will work in RAW format.

    >http://digitalcameras.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_12034313/124901.html
    >
    >Nope, it won't.

    So I see thanks. I was thinking about taking better pics but it is
    obviously more complicated than I realised. My camera is ideal for my
    needs as it just slips into my pocket whereas a decent SLR would not
    do that. Thanks to you and Flying Rat for the info. I think I will
    just stick to taking snaps.
    pete

  18. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:e3s4s6$l7i$,
    Mark S. spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> There's quite a difference between digital "snapshot" cameras and a
    >> high-end professional mode. I'd /love/ to upgrade <g>

    > Its cheaper than you might think. Check out the Nikon D50 or the
    > Canon 350D. Not that much more expensive than a top of the range
    > digital compact.

    I may be doing that next year - this year money is a little tight. Bad thing
    for me, all my nice Canon lenses are FD, not AF, so I'll be starting over
    from scratch.

    Toolman Tim, May 10, 2006
  19. Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:57:02 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 May 2006 01:21:24 +0100, wrote:
    >
    >>Really! As straight forward as that. But I suppose their cameras being
    >>multi thousand pound pieces of kit have different software than I
    >>would get with my cheapo Canon IXUS 40. I am just trying to find my
    >>way around here before I spend money on something that does very
    >>little more than what I already have.

    >Yes, and likely their software won't work with your camera. Keep in
    >mind most software is simply to transfer images from the camera to the
    >computer.
    >
    >High end pro cameras likely don't come with fancy photo editing
    >software. Of course, you can buy most any photo editing software in
    >the stores.
    >
    >But don't expect to be able to blow up your photos to 8.5x11.

    I have seen the crazy price of Adobe Photo Shop. I think I will stick
    to just snapping.
    pete

    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich/

    , May 10, 2006
  20. Guest

    On Tue, 9 May 2006 20:38:43 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Evan Platt spewed forth:
    >> On Wed, 10 May 2006 01:24:56 +0100, wrote:
    >>
    >>> I see. I wondered how they managed to blow pics up to full page
    >>> without blemishes being blown up too.

    >> Among other things, they don't use 4 megapixel cameras. Likely they're
    >> 10 or more.
    >>
    >>> Yes indeed. I will have to see if my camera will work in RAW format.

    >> http://digitalcameras.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_12034313/124901.html
    >>
    >> Nope, it won't.

    >There's quite a difference between digital "snapshot" cameras and a high-end
    >professional mode. I'd /love/ to upgrade <g>

    Yes I think I will stick to snapshot:)
    pete