    So, my question is, with so many people shooting the same subject at the
    same time, do they end up with a lot of over-exposed shots where someone
    else's flash has gone off at the same time as theirs?

    Joe, Jun 21, 2006

  2. Joe wrote:
    > When you see the paps on the news shooting press conferences, etc. it's not
    > uncommon for them all to be firing away at the same time.
    >
    > So, my question is, with so many people shooting the same subject at the
    > same time, do they end up with a lot of over-exposed shots where someone
    > else's flash has gone off at the same time as theirs?

    No. Most flashes are in the 'hood of 1/10,000, or so I have read.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 21, 2006

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    OK, but a mass of photographers shooting at 8.5FPS for the 'special moment'.
    That's a lot of light.

    Joe, Jun 21, 2006
  4. Joe

    Ben Brugman Guest

    > No. Most flashes are in the 'hood of 1/10,000, or so I have read.

    But the shutterspeet is far less than that.

    So there must be quite some pictures with double flashes.
    (Which stil could be ok).
    And there must also be pictures with even more flashes.

    So they probably will take some extra pictures to get a good one,
    or a good few.

    ben

    Ben Brugman, Jun 21, 2006
  5. Joe

    Pete D Guest

    And any half decent camera will compensate if you are using it in at least a
    semi program mode like AP.

    Pete D, Jun 21, 2006
  6. "Joe" <> writes:

    > When you see the paps on the news shooting press conferences, etc. it's not
    > uncommon for them all to be firing away at the same time.
    >
    > So, my question is, with so many people shooting the same subject at the
    > same time, do they end up with a lot of over-exposed shots where someone
    > else's flash has gone off at the same time as theirs?

    I've had it happen to me at the Monterey Bay Aquarium fairly recently
    -- not a press conference, just too many people shooting flash. I
    haven't worked press conferences, I don't know how common it is
    there.
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 21, 2006
  7. "Pete D" <> writes:

    > And any half decent camera will compensate if you are using it in at least a
    > semi program mode like AP.

    Interesting. How would it do that? I don't know any modern cameras
    that do off-the-film metering for long exposures the way the Olympus
    OM-2, -3, and-4 did. What are they?
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 21, 2006
  8. John McWilliams <> writes:
    > Joe wrote:

    >> When you see the paps on the news shooting press conferences,
    >> etc. it's not uncommon for them all to be firing away at the same
    >> time.
    >> So, my question is, with so many people shooting the same subject
    >> at the same time, do they end up with a lot of over-exposed shots
    >> where someone else's flash has gone off at the same time as theirs?

    > No. Most flashes are in the 'hood of 1/10,000, or so I have read.

    The flash duration is irrelevant.

    The X-sync speed for most cameraa are in the region of 1/200th.
    If two or more flashes fire while the shutter stays open, you'll
    get their aggregate effect on exposure.

    So, the answer is yes, you run the risk of overexposure in a
    situation like that.
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jun 22, 2006
  9. On 6/22/06 3:13 AM, the clairvoyantGisle Hannemyr posted the following:
    > John McWilliams <> writes:
    >> Joe wrote:

    >>> When you see the paps on the news shooting press conferences,
    >>> etc. it's not uncommon for them all to be firing away at the same
    >>> time.
    >>> So, my question is, with so many people shooting the same subject
    >>> at the same time, do they end up with a lot of over-exposed shots
    >>> where someone else's flash has gone off at the same time as theirs?

    >> No. Most flashes are in the 'hood of 1/10,000, or so I have read.

    > The flash duration is irrelevant.
    >
    > The X-sync speed for most cameraa are in the region of 1/200th.
    > If two or more flashes fire while the shutter stays open, you'll
    > get their aggregate effect on exposure.
    >
    > So, the answer is yes, you run the risk of overexposure in a
    > situation like that.

    Well, the duration isn't wholly irrelevant, but you are right, the
    shutter speed trumps the light duration.

    Another thought: many such situations are day time, fill flash. These
    may be set to high speed synch, with very low light output and very
    quick recycle time. Can one get 5-8 fps under those circumstances with
    Canon or Nikon?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 22, 2006
  10. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Not sure on the final results, but I have seen a pro wildlife photographer
    shooting at what sounded like 8.5fps (definitely more than 5FPS), with a
    Canon 1D Mark II, 550EX and an external battery pack powering the flash. He
    was doing this is short bursts.

    Joe, Jun 23, 2006
  11. Joe

    Pete D Guest

    "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    > "Pete D" <> writes:
    >
    >> And any half decent camera will compensate if you are using it in at
    >> least a
    >> semi program mode like AP.

    > Interesting. How would it do that? I don't know any modern cameras
    > that do off-the-film metering for long exposures the way the Olympus
    > OM-2, -3, and-4 did. What are they?

    I am not talking about long exposures, try using a flash off camera in slave
    mode where the flash is set off by the flash from a flash on the camera,
    with the camera set up so that it does not know about the other flash, my
    D-SLR will compensate if it is in one of the auto modes so that it does not
    overexpose. Try it!

    Pete D, Jun 25, 2006
  12. "Pete D" <> writes:

    > "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    > > "Pete D" <> writes:
    > >
    > >> And any half decent camera will compensate if you are using it in at
    > >> least a
    > >> semi program mode like AP.

    > > Interesting. How would it do that? I don't know any modern cameras
    > > that do off-the-film metering for long exposures the way the Olympus
    > > OM-2, -3, and-4 did. What are they?

    > I am not talking about long exposures, try using a flash off camera in slave
    > mode where the flash is set off by the flash from a flash on the camera,
    > with the camera set up so that it does not know about the other flash, my
    > D-SLR will compensate if it is in one of the auto modes so that it does not
    > overexpose. Try it!

    Ah. Neither of my DSLRs do anything like that, as is easily proved
    with studio strobes.
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 25, 2006