PAP2 Tesco IPA

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by mortician, Oct 21, 2007.

  1. mortician

    mortician Guest

    Hi

    I have used a Tesco Internet Phone Adapter and a Linksys PAP2.

    Both units have stopped working and the problem is always the same:

    The adapters either stop or are blocked from getting an IP address from the
    ADSL modem..

    The modem is a Speedtouch 585. Which is supplied by the ISP, I don't live in
    the UK and the telecoms company require that you use the modem supplied by
    them unit.

    Both units were working very well but both stopped working abruptly.

    Any assistance gratefully received.

    Regards

    Geoff
    mortician, Oct 21, 2007

  2. mortician

    Graham. Guest

    "mortician" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >

    > I have used a Tesco Internet Phone Adapter and a Linksys PAP2.
    >

    > Both units have stopped working and the problem is always the same:
    >

    > The adapters either stop or are blocked from getting an IP address from
    > the ADSL modem..
    >

    > The modem is a Speedtouch 585. Which is supplied by the ISP, I don't live
    > in the UK and the telecoms company require that you use the modem supplied
    > by them unit.
    >

    > Both units were working very well but both stopped working abruptly.
    >

    > Any assistance gratefully received.
    >

    > Regards
    >

    > Geoff

    The PAP2 also has a DHCP server option, make sure this disabled.
    I know nothing about the Tesco device other than it uses IAX.
    If all else fails can you disable the DHCP server on the router
    and address everything statically?
    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Oct 21, 2007

  3. mortician

    Roger Mills Guest

    Graham. <> wrote:

    > The PAP2 also has a DHCP server option, make sure this disabled.
    > I know nothing about the Tesco device other than it uses IAX.
    > If all else fails can you disable the DHCP server on the router
    > and address everything statically?

    Using static addresses is by far the most reliable solution. A half-way
    house may be to give the PAP2 etc. static addresses which are in the same
    subnet as your other kit but outside the range dished out by the
    router/modem's DHCP server, thus avoiding any problems with duplicate
    addresses.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Oct 21, 2007
  4. mortician

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > The modem is a Speedtouch 585. Which is supplied by the ISP, I don't live in
    > the UK and the telecoms company require that you use the modem supplied by
    > them unit.

    > Both units were working very well but both stopped working abruptly.

    > Any assistance gratefully received.

    It clearly isn't working, you said so yourself! If you suspect the ADSL
    modem (which presumably is a router too?) has stopped dishing out IP
    addresses then I suggest that it is faulty, and that if the ISP has
    supplied this modem then it is they who are responsible for supporting
    it.
    --
    Regards
    Jon
    Jon, Oct 21, 2007
  5. mortician

    old man Guest

    I wonder what country you are in that requires that 'only' their usb modem
    be used?
    Or is it a case of they only supply support for their modem?

    old man, Oct 21, 2007
  6. mortician

    Graham. Guest

    >I wonder what country you are in that requires that 'only' their usb modem
    > be used?
    > Or is it a case of they only supply support for their modem?

    The Thomson Speedtouch 585 is an ADSL Modem/Router/wireless Access point/4
    port Ethernet switch. It does not have USB AFAIK.

    Please don't top-post.

    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Oct 22, 2007
  7. mortician

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Graham. wrote:

    > The PAP2 also has a DHCP server option, make sure this disabled.
    > I know nothing about the Tesco device other than it uses IAX.
    > If all else fails can you disable the DHCP server on the router
    > and address everything statically?

    A PAP2 doesn't have a DHCP server built in, only the 2100/2102 and 3102
    have that. Also the Tesco service supports SIP now as well as IAX.

    Anyway to try to help the OP, if the router is refusing to give out IP
    addresses then it sounds to me like you need to contact whoever you got
    the router from. You should be able to assign static IP addresses to
    your PAP2 in order to get it working, just make sure you give it an
    address outside the range of the DHCP server on your router!

    cheers,
    Paul.

    --
    Working Email:

    paul-at-polog40-dot-co-dot-uk
    Paul Hayes, Oct 22, 2007
  8. mortician

    Roger Mills Guest

    Paul Hayes <> wrote:

    > Graham. wrote:
    >>

    >> The PAP2 also has a DHCP server option, make sure this disabled.
    >> I know nothing about the Tesco device other than it uses IAX.
    >> If all else fails can you disable the DHCP server on the router
    >> and address everything statically?

    > A PAP2 doesn't have a DHCP server built in, only the 2100/2102 and
    > 3102 have that. Also the Tesco service supports SIP now as well as
    > IAX.
    > Anyway to try to help the OP, if the router is refusing to give out IP
    > addresses then it sounds to me like you need to contact whoever you
    > got the router from. You should be able to assign static IP
    > addresses to your PAP2 in order to get it working, just make sure you
    > give it an address outside the range of the DHCP server on your
    > router!

    .. . but in the same subnet as the rest of your LAN equipment.

    For example, assuming your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, the first 3 octets
    of all your IP addresses must be the same as each other, and the final one
    must be unique for each device. So if, say, your DHCP server is dishing out
    addresses of 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.30, give your PAP2 an address such as
    192.168.1.50 - which is in the same subnet, but won't conflict with anything
    dished out by the router.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Oct 22, 2007
  9. mortician

    Soruk Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:32:07 +0100, Paul Hayes <> wrote:
    >Graham. wrote:
    >>

    >> The PAP2 also has a DHCP server option, make sure this disabled.
    >> I know nothing about the Tesco device other than it uses IAX.
    >> If all else fails can you disable the DHCP server on the router
    >> and address everything statically?

    >A PAP2 doesn't have a DHCP server built in, only the 2100/2102 and 3102
    >have that. Also the Tesco service supports SIP now as well as IAX.

    It does? I can't get it to register with SIP in Ekiga - yet Kiax registers
    it fine using IAX...

    Are there any special settings I need to give it to get it to connect?

    Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email
    Soruk, Oct 22, 2007
  10. mortician

    Graham. Guest

    > A PAP2 doesn't have a DHCP server built in, only the 2100/2102 and 3102
    > have that.

    My apologies, you are right. Its just a DHCP client.
    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Oct 22, 2007
  11. mortician

    cu Guest

    "mortician" <> wrote in message
    > The adapters either stop or are blocked from getting an IP address from
    > the ADSL modem..

    Only the Speedtouch DHCP server is allowed.
    If it detects an other it stops.

    Cheers,
    Jack
    cu, Oct 24, 2007
  12. mortician

    Soruk Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:33:47 +0000 (UTC), Soruk <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:32:07 +0100, Paul Hayes <> wrote:
    >>
    >>A PAP2 doesn't have a DHCP server built in, only the 2100/2102 and 3102
    >>have that. Also the Tesco service supports SIP now as well as IAX.

    >It does? I can't get it to register with SIP in Ekiga - yet Kiax registers
    >it fine using IAX...
    >
    >Are there any special settings I need to give it to get it to connect?

    Bad form I know, to follow up on my own post. However, the solution
    turned out to be a guessed server name of "sip.tescointernetphone.com".

    Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email
    Soruk, Nov 1, 2007
  13. mortician

    ewanmcgregor Guest

    ewanmcgregor, Dec 29, 2007
  14. mortician

    Soruk Guest

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:22:14 -0500, ewanmcgregor <> wrote:

    >please help if you can what are the settings i need to use a linksys
    >voip device to connect to my tesco account any advice you can give would
    >be greatful i am using an linksys papa2

    I can't give you the specifics for the Linksys, but the general
    information you need is here:

    From my Trixbox configuration:

    host=sip.tescointernetphone.com
    username=01234567890 <--- your Tesco phone number
    secret=my_password

    Don't think there's anything else you need. If you have separate username
    and authentication name fields on your ATA, put your phone number in both.

    Soruk, Dec 30, 2007