    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, May 22, 2006

  2. Dave Saville

    Tim Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > Apart from the two PSTN ports on the PAP2 is there any real difference inside?
    > 'cos the PAP2 seems to be available *much* cheaper.

    They are almost the same.

    Beware of devices locked to a service provider.

    Tim
    Tim, May 22, 2006

  3. Dave Saville

    Graham Guest

    > Beware of devices locked to a service provider.
    >
    > Tim

    I was going to *commend* the Vonage locked PAP2 from Comet or PC world.
    I had no problem unlocking it and its the best 20 quid I've spent this
    year!

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, May 22, 2006
  4. Dave Saville

    Brian A Guest

    On 22 May 2006 21:05:00 +0200, "Graham" <> wrote:

    >> Beware of devices locked to a service provider.
    >>
    >> Tim

    >I was going to *commend* the Vonage locked PAP2 from Comet or PC world.
    >I had no problem unlocking it and its the best 20 quid I've spent this
    >year!

    If I had the same confidence about unlocking I would do it. I had one
    that started to load up with the firmware..lights flashing ..all
    looking good...then there was a glitch and everything stopped.
    After that there was no web interface and it was unusable.
    Unless there is a foolproof way of doing it with a PAP2 you can buy
    today I'd be loathed to risk it. It is good that you had sucess
    though.
    For the 1001:
    I can't understand why there is such a price difference between the
    prices charged in other countries, even the EU, and especially the US,
    and here in the UK.
    Cheapest I found in the US was £31.
    Here they seem to charge between £65 and, yes, £100 on one web site.
    I am reluctant to buy when I see such disparity.
    Is there any import duty or VAT levied if bought from an EEC country
    where VAT has been charged?

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, May 22, 2006
  5. Dave Saville

    Tim Bray Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    > Is there any import duty or VAT levied if bought from an EEC country
    > where VAT has been charged?

    EEC vat law is very complicated, but in simple terms.

    Presuming you aren't VAT registered, then if you buy from an EEC country
    the seller should apply VAT at their countries rate.

    Tim
    Tim Bray, May 23, 2006
  6. Dave Saville

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Tue, 23 May 2006, Tim Bray writes

    >Presuming you aren't VAT registered, then if you buy from an EEC
    >country the seller should apply VAT at their countries rate.

    <apostrophe police>
    countries rate = country's rate
    </apostrophe police>

    ;-)
    David Floyd, May 23, 2006
  7. Dave Saville

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 12:26:03 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >In message of Tue, 23 May 2006, Tim Bray writes
    >>
    >>Presuming you aren't VAT registered, then if you buy from an EEC
    >>country the seller should apply VAT at their countries rate.
    >>

    ><apostrophe police>
    >countries rate = country's rate
    ></apostrophe police>
    >
    >;-)

    You are right David but haven't explained why.
    Lots of people don't know the difference.

    countries = more than one country.
    eg. In relation to economic size Japan and China are among the top
    countries in the world.

    country's = something belonging to that country
    The country's capital is Paris.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, May 23, 2006
  8. Dave Saville

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > You are right David but haven't explained why.
    > Lots of people don't know the difference.
    >
    > countries = more than one country.
    > eg. In relation to economic size Japan and China are
    > among the top countries in the world.
    >
    > country's = something belonging to that country
    > The country's capital is Paris.

    But if referring to more than one country as in the original post,
    shouldn't it be

    "the seller should apply VAT at their countries' rate" - ? (Note the
    trailing apostprophe).

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 23, 2006
  9. Dave Saville

    Lansbury Guest

    On 22 May 2006 21:05:00 +0200, "Graham" <> wrote:

    >I was going to *commend* the Vonage locked PAP2 from Comet or PC world.
    >I had no problem unlocking it and its the best 20 quid I've spent this
    >year!

    I was going that route until I read somewhere that later versions couldn't be
    unlocked. Is that correct and if so is there a way to tell the version before
    purchase?

    --
    Lansbury
    www.uk-air.net
    Lansbury, May 23, 2006
  10. Dave Saville

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Tue, 23 May 2006, Ivor Jones writes

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> You are right David but haven't explained why.
    >> Lots of people don't know the difference.
    >>
    >> countries = more than one country.
    >> eg. In relation to economic size Japan and China are
    >> among the top countries in the world.
    >>
    >> country's = something belonging to that country
    >> The country's capital is Paris.

    >But if referring to more than one country as in the original post,
    >shouldn't it be
    >
    >"the seller should apply VAT at their countries' rate" - ? (Note the
    >trailing apostprophe).

    You do like to get involved in things don't you Ivor. And keep things
    off topic in the newsgroup you created too.

    Off topic - the seller cannot be in more than one country at the same
    time. Just read it again and think about it, or maybe your problem is
    that you read too much of Dexter's unreadable English (if you can call
    it that)
    David Floyd, May 23, 2006
  11. Dave Saville

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "David Floyd" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > You do like to get involved in things don't you Ivor. And
    > keep things off topic in the newsgroup you created too.

    I know, I read too much..!

    > Off topic - the seller cannot be in more than one country
    > at the same time. Just read it again and think about it,
    > or maybe your problem is that you read too much of
    > Dexter's unreadable English (if you can call it that)

    Oh don't bring him into it, *please*..!!

    No, the seller can't be in more than one country, but we don't necessarily
    know where he is, so a generalisation would be as I said it (I think..!)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 24, 2006
  12. Graham wrote:
    > > Beware of devices locked to a service provider.
    > >
    > > Tim

    > I was going to *commend* the Vonage locked PAP2 from Comet or PC world.
    > I had no problem unlocking it and its the best 20 quid I've spent this
    > year!
    >

    > Graham.
    >

    > %Profound_observation%
    >

    > Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

    If you can find a PAP2 in Comet or Pissy World , seem to all reappear
    on ebay unlocked ...

    BTW what firmware version was the one you unlocked?

    Thanks
    Adam
    Adam Aglionby, May 24, 2006
  13. Dave Saville

    Graham Guest

    > If you can find a PAP2 in Comet or Pissy World , seem to all reappear
    > on ebay unlocked ...
    >
    > BTW what firmware version was the one you unlocked?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Adam

    Rather stupidly I didn't check. All I can tell you that it now says
    Software Version: 3.1.3(LS) Hardware Version: 0.03.4

    Graham, May 26, 2006
  14. Graham wrote:

    > > If you can find a PAP2 in Comet or Pissy World , seem to all reappear
    > > on ebay unlocked ...
    > >
    > > BTW what firmware version was the one you unlocked?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Adam
    > >

    > Rather stupidly I didn't check. All I can tell you that it now says
    > Software Version: 3.1.3(LS) Hardware Version: 0.03.4
    >

    > Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

    >From reading the net, seems 3.1.9 is difficult to unlock hence asking,

    seems a bit moot now though as suspect vonage PAP2`s have been quietly
    dropped from Comet /Currys, dosent appear on either websites or in any
    of local stores.

    Staples carry the linksys locked Vonage router but not PAP2 , as an
    aside Freetalk boxes appear nowhere on the shelves either.

    Thanks
    Adam
    Adam Aglionby, May 27, 2006
  15. Dave Saville

    fred Guest

    "Adam Aglionby" <> wrote in message

    > Graham wrote:
    >> >
    >> > If you can find a PAP2 in Comet or Pissy World , seem to all reappear
    >> > on ebay unlocked ...
    >> >
    >> > BTW what firmware version was the one you unlocked?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Adam
    >> >

    >> Rather stupidly I didn't check. All I can tell you that it now says
    >> Software Version: 3.1.3(LS) Hardware Version: 0.03.4
    >>

    >> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
    >> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

    >>From reading the net, seems 3.1.9 is difficult to unlock hence asking,

    > seems a bit moot now though as suspect vonage PAP2`s have been quietly
    > dropped from Comet /Currys, dosent appear on either websites or in any
    > of local stores.
    >
    > Staples carry the linksys locked Vonage router but not PAP2 , as an
    > aside Freetalk boxes appear nowhere on the shelves either.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Adam

    How do you get to the firmware pages of the Pap2? I have tried under it's IP
    address on my local ntwork but it will not display.
    Thanks
    Fred.
    fred, May 29, 2006