    measekite Guest

    How much better and where is the Canon XSi over the Panasonic G1 micro 4/3
    system?
    measekite, Dec 23, 2008

  2. measekite wrote:
    > How much better and where is the Canon XSi over the Panasonic G1
    > micro 4/3 system?

    They are simply "different". For example, what lenses are you proposing
    to use with the G1? The XSi is a single fixed package. The G1 you can
    expand with different lenses both now and perhaps even more lens choice in
    the future. Is high ISO ( and therefore sensor size) important to you?

    I would expect that if you were to define a particular photogrpahic
    situation, you could produce a list of pros and cons for each camera type.
    /You/ would then need to weigh the total balance - no-one else can do that
    for you.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 23, 2008

  3. measekite

    dj_nme Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > measekite wrote:
    >> How much better and where is the Canon XSi over the Panasonic G1
    >> micro 4/3 system?

    > They are simply "different". For example, what lenses are you proposing
    > to use with the G1? The XSi is a single fixed package.

    What do you mean by "single fixed package"?
    The Canon XSi (AKA: Canon EOS 450D) is a DSLR camera with
    interchangeable lenses.
    How is that a "fixed package"?

    > The G1 you can
    > expand with different lenses both now and perhaps even more lens choice
    > in the future. Is high ISO ( and therefore sensor size) important to you?

    As can be done with the Canon XSi, in fact their are far more EOS lenses
    that will fit the EOS 450D than are currently available for Micro
    FourThirds.

    > I would expect that if you were to define a particular photographic
    > situation, you could produce a list of pros and cons for each camera
    > type. /You/ would then need to weigh the total balance - no-one else can
    > do that for you.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Or, if you have EOS lenses already then there is little reason to even
    consider the Panasonic DMC-G1.
    If starting from a "clean slate", then either camera seems like it would
    be fine for most situations and then _you_ will have to make a decision
    for yourself.
    dj_nme, Dec 23, 2008
  4. dj_nme wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> measekite wrote:
    >>> How much better and where is the Canon XSi over the Panasonic G1
    >>> micro 4/3 system?

    >> They are simply "different". For example, what lenses are you
    >> proposing to use with the G1? The XSi is a single fixed package.

    > What do you mean by "single fixed package"?
    > The Canon XSi (AKA: Canon EOS 450D) is a DSLR camera with
    > interchangeable lenses.
    > How is that a "fixed package"?
    >
    >> The G1 you can
    >> expand with different lenses both now and perhaps even more lens
    >> choice in the future. Is high ISO ( and therefore sensor size)
    >> important to you?

    > As can be done with the Canon XSi, in fact their are far more EOS
    > lenses that will fit the EOS 450D than are currently available for
    > Micro FourThirds.
    >
    >> I would expect that if you were to define a particular photographic
    >> situation, you could produce a list of pros and cons for each camera
    >> type. /You/ would then need to weigh the total balance - no-one else
    >> can do that for you.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    > Or, if you have EOS lenses already then there is little reason to even
    > consider the Panasonic DMC-G1.
    > If starting from a "clean slate", then either camera seems like it
    > would be fine for most situations and then _you_ will have to make a
    > decision for yourself.

    I confused the poster as having mentioned a Canon SX10 - a fixed lens.
    Please ignore my comments. Apologies.

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 23, 2008
  5. dj_nme wrote:
    []
    > Or, if you have EOS lenses already then there is little reason to even
    > consider the Panasonic DMC-G1.

    Indeed, yes.

    > If starting from a "clean slate", then either camera seems like it
    > would be fine for most situations and then _you_ will have to make a
    > decision for yourself.

    Agreed. Today, I would tend towards the system with the greatest number
    of lenses which met my own needs. This would mean having in-lens IS.
    After that, I would tend towards the larger sensor camera, if it did not
    compromise size and weight too much.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 23, 2008
  6. measekite

    TheRealSteve Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:46:32 -0600, Trey Kanter
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:51:27 +1100, dj_nme <> wrote:
    >
    >>David J Taylor wrote:
    >>>
    >>> They are simply "different". For example, what lenses are you proposing
    >>> to use with the G1? The XSi is a single fixed package.

    >>What do you mean by "single fixed package"?
    >>The Canon XSi (AKA: Canon EOS 450D) is a DSLR camera with
    >>interchangeable lenses.
    >>How is that a "fixed package"?
    >>
    >>> The G1 you can
    >>> expand with different lenses both now and perhaps even more lens choice
    >>> in the future. Is high ISO ( and therefore sensor size) important to you?

    >>As can be done with the Canon XSi, in fact their are far more EOS lenses
    >>that will fit the EOS 450D than are currently available for Micro
    >>FourThirds.
    >>
    >>> I would expect that if you were to define a particular photographic
    >>> situation, you could produce a list of pros and cons for each camera
    >>> type. /You/ would then need to weigh the total balance - no-one else can
    >>> do that for you.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> David

    >>Or, if you have EOS lenses already then there is little reason to even
    >>consider the Panasonic DMC-G1.
    >>If starting from a "clean slate", then either camera seems like it would
    >>be fine for most situations and then _you_ will have to make a decision
    >>for yourself.

    >The greatest drawback to falling into the dSLR trap. After you've started to
    >invest in glass, which can easily run into many many thou$ands, you are forever
    >limited by your initial investment and inexperienced earlier choices. Always
    >trying to justify past purchases and attempting to make them still useful,
    >instead of moving onto something newer or better.

    Complete BS. After you've invested many thou$ands in glass, you are
    not limited by your initial investment because you can sell that glass
    for many thou$sands.

    If you check out ebay, you'll see that DSLR glass loses very little of
    it's value. You can buy a new lens and when you want to upgrade it,
    sell the one you bought even years later for a very high percentage,
    maybe like 80% or even higher, of what you bought it for. And if you
    bought your lens used on ebay, you can sell it for the same or even
    more than you bought it for. That's right... buy it, use it for a
    while and if you don't like it, sell it and you had it for free. Hell,
    with the way most investments have lost value recently and with the
    fed giving out money for free, a good DSLR lens is one of the best
    investments you can make.

    Ever look at what you can sell a couple of year old P&S for?

    >I'd still be fumbling with all the huge drawbacks of 35mm film if I wanted to go
    >that route. There comes a time where you just have to let it all go, to become
    >nothing but memorabilia on a shelf.
    >
    >There's a wonderful and wise saying about "throwing good money after bad".
    >
    >When buying a P&S camera I get a state of the art camera along with state of the
    >art glass with every new purchase. Always being on the forefront. Always

    And you're complaining about the $ invested in DSLR glass? When you
    buy a new, state of the art P&S, you just wasted a ton of $. Try and
    sell it a few years later when you want to upgrade and see what you
    can get for it. The guy that bought that state of the art Nikon
    70-200 VR lens a few years ago can sell it today for almost what he
    bought it for. And he got a good few years of service out of it. You
    might as well throw away your state of the art P&S camera a few years
    later for what it's worth.

    You're barking up the wrong tree if you want to use investment value
    as a reason to choose a P&S over a DSLR.

    Steve
    TheRealSteve, Dec 23, 2008
  7. measekite

    measekite Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:22:44 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >> How much better and where is the Canon XSi over the Panasonic G1
    >> micro 4/3 system?

    > They are simply "different". For example, what lenses are you proposing
    > to use with the G1? The XSi is a single fixed package. The G1 you can
    > expand with different lenses both now and perhaps even more lens choice in
    > the future. Is high ISO ( and therefore sensor size) important to you?

    I think you are mistaken. The Canon Digital Rebel XSi (aka 450D) is a
    DSLR with an APC sized sensor.

    I am not speaking about size or weight or features or the diversity of
    lenses. I wish to know mainly about image quality when cropped somewhat
    and printed at UP TO 16x20.

    measekite, Dec 23, 2008
  8. measekite

    measekite Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:16:21 -0800, John Navas wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:46:32 -0600, Trey Kanter
    > <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >>The greatest drawback to falling into the dSLR trap. After you've started to
    >>invest in glass, which can easily run into many many thou$ands, you are forever
    >>limited by your initial investment and inexperienced earlier choices. Always
    >>trying to justify past purchases and attempting to make them still useful,
    >>instead of moving onto something newer or better.

    > Very good point. I've got a big investment in superb Canon FD glass
    > that's mostly gathering dust in my closet (along with the great T-90
    > body) because Canon orphaned it after years of telling trusting
    > customers how superior it was, without so much as an apology, not even
    > one digital body was made for it, or even a trade-in program. I wish I
    > had gone Nikon back in the beginning, but you can never know the future.
    > It's a mistake I'm doing my best to avoid making again.
    >
    >>When buying a P&S camera I get a state of the art camera along with state of the
    >>art glass with every new purchase. Always being on the forefront. Always
    >>enjoying all the new features, ideas and concepts that might eventually make
    >>their way down the ladder into DSLR cameras a few years from now. Some features
    >>which never will be implemented because they can't work in any camera with a
    >>mechanical focal-plane shutter and slapping mirror.

    > Another very good point. The Leica-branded stabilized super-zoom lens
    > on my Panasonic DMC-FZ8 is awesome -- nothing in 35 mm comes close even
    > at many times the cost. I paid only about $200 for the camera and lens,
    > and the cost for my next state-of-the-art upgrade will be similarly
    > modest.
    >
    > I may still get a dSLR one of these days, probably Nikon, and probably
    > used, but will probably still take most of my pictures with the FZ8 and
    > its successors.

    I am sure you will not argue the fact that these DSLRs can produce much
    higher image quality (especially at ISO400 and above or even ISO200) when
    you crop about 30 to 40 percent and then print 12x18 or larger like 16x20.
    measekite, Dec 23, 2008
  9. measekite wrote:
    []
    > I think you are mistaken. The Canon Digital Rebel XSi (aka 450D) is a
    > DSLR with an APC sized sensor.

    Yes, I already apologised for mistaking a Canon XSi with a Canon SX10.

    At least I haven't mistaken a Canon D40 for a Nikon D40. Probably.

    Nikon and Canon DSLRs have a bigger range of lenses, and a bigger sensor,
    which may give you a stop advantage for the same aperture. Will the range
    of lenses for the G1 meet your needs? At a price you can afford? The
    review sites must have comparitive images? Will you need any of the other
    accessories you could get for a Nikon or Canon DSLR?

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 24, 2008
  10. measekite

    nospam Guest

    In article <ggm4l.10828$>, David J
    Taylor <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    wrote:

    > At least I haven't mistaken a Canon D40 for a Nikon D40. Probably.

    it's a canon 40d :)

    there is also:

    canon d30 & canon 30d
    canon d60 & nikon d60
    canon 50d & nikon d50
    canon 5d & konica-minolta 5d
    nospam, Dec 24, 2008
  11. nospam wrote:
    > In article <ggm4l.10828$>, David J
    > Taylor <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> At least I haven't mistaken a Canon D40 for a Nikon D40. Probably.

    > it's a canon 40d :)
    >
    > there is also:
    >
    > canon d30 & canon 30d
    > canon d60 & nikon d60
    > canon 50d & nikon d50
    > canon 5d & konica-minolta 5d

    Maybe we should go back to names rather than numbers? Christmas quiz:
    name your favourite cameras!

    Oh, and check out the URL and caption of this Web page:
    http://www.nextag.co.uk/canon-d40/zzukzB1z41--shop-html

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 24, 2008
  12. measekite

    TheRealSteve Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:53:00 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >nospam wrote:
    >> In article <ggm4l.10828$>, David J
    >> Taylor <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> At least I haven't mistaken a Canon D40 for a Nikon D40. Probably.

    >> it's a canon 40d :)
    >>
    >> there is also:
    >>
    >> canon d30 & canon 30d
    >> canon d60 & nikon d60
    >> canon 50d & nikon d50
    >> canon 5d & konica-minolta 5d

    >Maybe we should go back to names rather than numbers? Christmas quiz:
    >name your favourite cameras!
    >
    >Oh, and check out the URL and caption of this Web page:
    > http://www.nextag.co.uk/canon-d40/zzukzB1z41--shop-html
    >
    >Cheers,
    >David

    Yes, they do that on purpose so when people mistakenly google "canon
    d40", their web page shows up. Just as an exercise, take your URL
    above and change the d40 to 40d and I'll bet you go to the same place.

    Steve
    TheRealSteve, Dec 24, 2008
  13. TheRealSteve wrote:
    []
    >> Oh, and check out the URL and caption of this Web page:
    >> http://www.nextag.co.uk/canon-d40/zzukzB1z41--shop-html
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    > Yes, they do that on purpose so when people mistakenly google "canon
    > d40", their web page shows up. Just as an exercise, take your URL
    > above and change the d40 to 40d and I'll bet you go to the same place.
    >
    > Steve

    No, you go to a different page....

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 24, 2008
  14. measekite

    TheRealSteve Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:28:56 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >TheRealSteve wrote:
    >[]
    >>> Oh, and check out the URL and caption of this Web page:
    >>> http://www.nextag.co.uk/canon-d40/zzukzB1z41--shop-html
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> David

    >> Yes, they do that on purpose so when people mistakenly google "canon
    >> d40", their web page shows up. Just as an exercise, take your URL
    >> above and change the d40 to 40d and I'll bet you go to the same place.
    >>
    >> Steve

    >No, you go to a different page....

    Well hell, I go to a different page now than I did yesterday with the
    link above. Yesterday, that link above took me to a page that was
    full of Canon 40D's. Today it doesn't. I guess it just depends on
    timing and when they update their pages.

    Steve
    TheRealSteve, Dec 24, 2008
  15. TheRealSteve wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:28:56 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> TheRealSteve wrote:
    >> []

    >>> Yes, they do that on purpose so when people mistakenly google "canon
    >>> d40", their web page shows up. Just as an exercise, take your URL
    >>> above and change the d40 to 40d and I'll bet you go to the same
    >>> place.
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> No, you go to a different page....

    > Well hell, I go to a different page now than I did yesterday with the
    > link above. Yesterday, that link above took me to a page that was
    > full of Canon 40D's. Today it doesn't. I guess it just depends on
    > timing and when they update their pages.
    >
    > Steve

    Yes, Steve, I though you had probably checked before making the the
    suggestion, so it's a pity I didn't put some money on it! <G>

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 24, 2008
  16. measekite

    TheRealSteve Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:00:54 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >TheRealSteve wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:28:56 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    >> <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>> TheRealSteve wrote:
    >>> []

    >>> No, you go to a different page....

    >> Well hell, I go to a different page now than I did yesterday with the
    >> link above. Yesterday, that link above took me to a page that was
    >> full of Canon 40D's. Today it doesn't. I guess it just depends on
    >> timing and when they update their pages.
    >>
    >> Steve

    >Yes, Steve, I though you had probably checked before making the the
    >suggestion, so it's a pity I didn't put some money on it! <G>

    No, I didn't check where I'd go if I changed the D40 to a 40D. But
    yesterday your link went to a page full of Canon 40D cameras. Today
    it doesn't. Today, changing it to a 40D goes to a page full of 40D
    cameras, just like the D40 link did yesterday. I'm guessing that
    yesterday, the 40D link probably also went to a page full of 40D
    cameras, since it still does.

    Steve
    TheRealSteve, Dec 24, 2008