    in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
    out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
    anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

    Phisherman, Jun 7, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    Phisherman <> wrote:

    > The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
    > with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
    > in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
    > out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
    > anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

    There isn't one.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jun 7, 2007

  3. Phisherman

    JackShephard Guest

    That's because you are a stupid ****.

    JackShephard, Jun 7, 2007
  4. Phisherman

    JackShephard Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 02:01:59 GMT, Phisherman <> wrote:

    > Has
    >anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

    It doesn't exist, idiot. Maybe that's where you "high demand"
    statistic is being generated. D'OH!

    JackShephard, Jun 7, 2007
  5. Phisherman wrote:

    > The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
    > with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
    > in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
    > out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions?

    ....Gasp, maybe they don't. :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 7, 2007
  6. Phisherman

    skip Guest

    Phisherman <> wrote in

    > The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
    > with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
    > in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
    > out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
    > anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

    All part of the trojan horse invasion. We are poor and need work. then when
    there are enough of them REVOLT wham no more USA

    skip, Jun 7, 2007
  7. Phisherman

    Richard C. Guest

    "Phisherman" <> wrote in message
    > The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
    > with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
    > in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
    > out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
    > anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

    =========================
    You haven't seen many good foreign films, have you?

    Richard C., Jun 7, 2007
  8. Phisherman

    Allen Guest

    Richard C. wrote:
    > "Phisherman" <> wrote in message
    >> The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
    >> with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
    >> in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
    >> out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
    >> anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

    > =========================
    > You haven't seen many good foreign films, have you?

    Nor does he live in my city. Univision (Spanish-language network) has
    just moved into second place for viewers of local news broadcasts.

    Also, a chance for a rant: I hate dubbed movies. Although I am
    monolingual, I would much rather see a subtitled one than a dubbed one.
    I still remember some Italian movie (perhaps Bitter Rice) in which the
    speaker talks for several seconds waving her arms; the dubber replaced
    the voice with "no". Even if the dubbing is more authentic, it still
    can't match the speech patterns of the original IMNSHO. One of my
    favorites in Almodovar's "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown"; he
    eliminated the chance of its being dubbed by giving some of the main
    characters jobs as movie dubbers.
    Allen

    Allen, Jun 7, 2007
  9. Phisherman

    Richard C. Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote in message
    > Richard C. wrote:
    >> "Phisherman" <> wrote in message
    >>> The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
    >>> with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
    >>> in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
    >>> out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
    >>> anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

    >> =========================
    >> You haven't seen many good foreign films, have you?

    > Nor does he live in my city. Univision (Spanish-language network) has just
    > moved into second place for viewers of local news broadcasts.
    >
    > Also, a chance for a rant: I hate dubbed movies. Although I am
    > monolingual, I would much rather see a subtitled one than a dubbed one. I
    > still remember some Italian movie (perhaps Bitter Rice) in which the
    > speaker talks for several seconds waving her arms; the dubber replaced the
    > voice with "no". Even if the dubbing is more authentic, it still can't
    > match the speech patterns of the original IMNSHO. One of my favorites in
    > Almodovar's "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown"; he eliminated the
    > chance of its being dubbed by giving some of the main characters jobs as
    > movie dubbers.
    > Allen

    =========================
    I agree.
    In a dubbed version the emotions and inflections of the voice are ALL wrong.
    Witness Crouching Tiger - LOUSY in the dubbed version.

    Richard C., Jun 7, 2007
  10. Phisherman

    dgates Guest

    Dubbed vs. Subtitled -- Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:07:14 -0500, Allen <> wrote:

    >Also, a chance for a rant: I hate dubbed movies. Although I am
    >monolingual, I would much rather see a subtitled one than a dubbed one...

    I too have had the experience where I enjoyed a subtitled movie more
    than its dubbed counterpart. John Woo's "Hard Boiled" comes to mind
    where, the method chosen by the dubbing people to differentiate the
    voices of the two main characters was to give one guy a distinct
    Australian accent! :-o

    However, and I guess I'd better be ready to take the heat on this
    one... I don't really like either option!

    We talk a lot about directors' intentions when it comes to letterboxed
    vs. pan & scan, but they certainly didn't intend for us to be spending
    the better part of the movie looking down at the bottom of the screen
    and reading, word for word, a printout of dialogue that is supposed to
    be heard (while watching the visuals).

    I rented Jacques Tati's "Playtime" from Netflix recently. The opening
    scene is clearly supposed to be one where we're studying everything
    with our eyes and not paying much attention to the details of a wife
    quietly nagging her husband about his business trip. However, once
    the subtitles were on, there was this enormous "weight" added to her
    words. I couldn't help but read every one of them, and they became my
    focus.

    Perhaps I'm too left-brained in this way, but words printed at the
    bottom of the screen always seem "important" to me in a way with which
    the the visuals have a hard time competing.

    Darn, I had another, more recent example, but I can't quite remember
    what. It was a scene where you clearly were supposed to be watching
    some beautiful, possibly complex visuals while the dialogue sort of
    just washed over you. I've got the sense that it might have been some
    colorful, maybe psychedelic, purely visual kind of "trip," while maybe
    a woman's voice is adding some soothing type words. Something where
    the details of the words weren't the emphasis of the scene at all, and
    just sitting there, spending more time focusing on the text than on
    the images just felt wrong to me.

    If I'm remembering correctly, I decided that this movie would be
    better watched with the English dub track than with the subtitles.

    And I hope that, even though I can't remember the title, I've conveyed
    the idea well enough that people will be able to think of their own
    analogous examples.

    I suppose the ideal solution is to offer the viewer both choices. Or
    you could make a case that the director should have some input on what
    he thinks is the best way to convey what's important to him in the
    movie.

    dgates, Jun 8, 2007
  11. Re: Dubbed vs. Subtitled -- Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    dgates wrote:

    > Perhaps I'm too left-brained in this way, but words printed at the
    > bottom of the screen always seem "important" to me in a way with which
    > the the visuals have a hard time competing.

    Perhaps you are:
    Being an anime watcher, I've noticed that the effect of watching
    subtitles works like that darn left-vs.-right-brain computer game where
    they flash the word "Red" in blue and "Yellow" in green and ask you to
    click the right color--

    Ie., you remember the dialogue later, but thinking back, your memory
    keeps switching back and forth between the two languages, and you HEAR
    the foreign actors saying them in English with their own inflections...

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 8, 2007
  12. Phisherman

    JackShephard Guest

    Re: Dubbed vs. Subtitled -- Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:42:52 -0400, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >dgates wrote:
    >>
    >> Perhaps I'm too left-brained in this way, but words printed at the
    >> bottom of the screen always seem "important" to me in a way with which
    >> the the visuals have a hard time competing.

    >Perhaps you are:
    >Being an anime watcher, I've noticed that the effect of watching
    >subtitles works like that darn left-vs.-right-brain computer game where
    >they flash the word "Red" in blue and "Yellow" in green and ask you to
    >click the right color--
    >
    >Ie., you remember the dialogue later, but thinking back, your memory
    >keeps switching back and forth between the two languages, and you HEAR
    >the foreign actors saying them in English with their own inflections...

    Go, Speed Racer! Bwuahahahahahah! Yeah... right!

    JackShephard, Jun 8, 2007
  13. Re: Dubbed vs. Subtitled -- Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Generally I like it when both are on a DVD/LD. Although I normally
    just watch a movie in it's original language with subtitles first and
    then watch it in original language without any subs since I know
    what's going on and recall what the characters have said to a point.
    Although sometimes I'm just too tired (to remember the entire movie or
    to bother reading) so I click on the English audio track.

    Some people like it one way, other's like it another, best just to
    offer both so everyone can be happy IMO.

    Jonathan Brisby, Jun 8, 2007
  14. Phisherman

    Jordan Guest

    On Jun 6, 7:01 pm, Phisherman <> wrote:
    > The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
    > with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
    > in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
    > out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
    > anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

    I own the DVD and there is no dubbed version. My experience with dubs
    has been spotty. Some of the Miyazaki flicks are acceptably dubbed
    because Disney went out of their way to find talented actors to do the
    dub (Spirited Away comes to mind). Others (Brotherhood of the Wolf,
    District B-13), the dub is just god-awful because it was done as an
    after-thought.

    In the case of Pan's Labyrinth, it was set in Spain, and filmed in
    Spanish by a Mexican director. It doesn't surprise me that there's no
    dubbed version.

    As to the appeal, well, if you're interested in good movies it
    shouldn't matter what language they're in. None of my very favorite
    films are in English:

    Seven Samurai - Japanese
    M - German
    Wings of Desire - German

    - Jordan

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Jun 9, 2007
  15. Phisherman

    Guest

    On Jun 6, 10:01 pm, Phisherman <> wrote:
    > The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
    > with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
    > in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
    > out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
    > anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

    Just do what everyone else does. Go down to you local Home Depot some
    morning and grab a Mexican to translate for you. It will cost you $20,
    but trust me, it's worth every penny.

    , Jun 20, 2007
  16. Phisherman

    skip Guest

    wrote in news:1182350838.544714.258850
    @w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

    > On Jun 6, 10:01 pm, Phisherman <> wrote:
    >> The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
    >> with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
    >> in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
    >> out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
    >> anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

    here in los angeles there are less that 500 english speaking people

    skip, Jun 20, 2007