Panotools problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    I'm trying out PTGUI and there are a couple of problems:

    1. PTGUI won't save as TIFF (only JPEG).
    2. Frequently after the stitching process is finished the software fails
    to write the image to the disk, generating a "TIFFopen error" and
    aborting.
    3. PTGUI routinely generates stitches in which lines which should be
    straight end up being curved, as if the image had been taken with a
    fish-eye lens. In theory you should be able to straighten the lines by
    adding control points (horizontal line, vertical line, line), but in
    practice this had no effect in the images I tested.

    Anybody can help ?

    --
    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <vryRa.33851$>,
    says...
    > > 1. PTGUI won't save as TIFF (only JPEG).

    > Are you now using Pano Tools V2.6b1?

    Yes and PTGUI 2.8. But perhaps I found the problem. It's the stupid
    project wizard which prevents you from saving as TIFF - you have to
    avoid using it.

    > > 2. Frequently after the stitching process is finished the software fails
    > > to write the image to the disk, generating a "TIFFopen error" and
    > > aborting.

    Only happens with the project wizard.

    > > 3. PTGUI routinely generates stitches in which lines which should be
    > > straight end up being curved, as if the image had been taken with a
    > > fish-eye lens. In theory you should be able to straighten the lines by
    > > adding control points (horizontal line, vertical line, line), but in
    > > practice this had no effect in the images I tested.
    > >

    > Whether lines come out straight or curved will depend on the output
    > projection selected.

    So basically, if you want to get straight lines you have to use the
    rectilinear projection ? But on your (excellent BTW) page at
    http://homepage.dtn.ntl.com/j.houghton/horizons.htm
    you started from a horizontal projection.

    Which projection should one use (rectlinear, cylindrical, spherical) ?

    By the way, when you have some time, you might update your tutorial. The
    user interface of PTGUI has changed
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jul 17, 2003

  3. "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Which projection should one use (rectlinear, cylindrical, spherical) ?

    For straight horizontal lines, rectilinear. Vertical lines are straight in
    both, barring perspective and lens distortion that is...

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jul 18, 2003