    Thanks
    Saqib Ali
    http://www.xml-dev.com/
    Saqib Ali, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Saqib Ali wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am looking for a good panoramic digital camera that is not SLR. Any ideas?

    I don't think there is such a creature but you can always take multiple
    pictures and stitch them together (www.panoramafactory.com) which makes
    any digital camera a panoramic camera.
    Andrew McDonald, Aug 15, 2003

  3. As another poster mentioned, there is not such a thing as a "panoramic
    digital camera". You can take a series of photos, making sure each photo
    overlaps the last one by about 30%, and then using panoramic software,
    "stitch" them together into one longer pic. The panoramafacory they
    mentioned is a very good program, and some cameras (such as many Canon and
    Olympus models) come with their own panoramic software when you purchase
    them.

    Greg
    ---------
    www.digitalcamerabasics.com

    DigitalCameraBasics, Aug 15, 2003
  4. Saqib Ali

    ARosenblat Guest

    wrote:>I am looking for a good panoramic digital camera that is not SLR. Any
    ideas?

    The Canon S50 has a panoramic function with stitching software to stitch a
    number if images together. It's a 5meg camera, but because you stitch a number
    of images I think that the he effective resolution is musch greater.
    ARosenblat, Aug 15, 2003
  5. Saqib Ali wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Thanks for the information about the panoramafactory. it looks awesome.
    >
    > Is there any reason why there are no panoramic digital cameras?

    Cost? I suppose you could make a panoramic camera which spun and took a
    rapid series of small images and then pasted them together for you.

    A real panorama camera moves the film past a slit behind the lens while
    the camera turns. I imagine these aren't cheap since there has to be a
    synchonization of the camera moving as the film moves.

    Doing the same thing with digital would be quite complicated I imagine.

    Besides, it's too easy to do this afterwards in software so why bother
    trying to do it in-camera?
    Andrew McDonald, Aug 15, 2003
  6. Saqib Ali

    Bryan Olson Guest

    Saqib Ali wrote:

    > I am looking for a good panoramic digital camera that is not SLR. Any ideas?

    Well, since you didn't specify "inexpensive" or even
    "affordable", maybe you are interested in the true panoramic
    digital camera that other posts claimed not to exist:

    http://www.panoscan.com/

    --
    --Bryan
    Bryan Olson, Aug 15, 2003
  7. Bryan Olson wrote:
    > Saqib Ali wrote:
    >

    >>I am looking for a good panoramic digital camera that is not SLR. Any ideas?

    > Well, since you didn't specify "inexpensive" or even
    > "affordable", maybe you are interested in the true panoramic
    > digital camera that other posts claimed not to exist:

    I didn't say that none existed. I said "I don't think there is such a
    creature". And at $28,900 WITHOUT LENS it's safe to say that for most
    people your example does not exist either.
    Andrew McDonald, Aug 15, 2003
  8. Saqib Ali

    Bryan Olson Guest

    Andrew McDonald wrote:

    Bryan Olson wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> maybe you are interested in the true panoramic digital camera that
    >> other posts claimed not to exist:

    > I didn't say that none existed. I said "I don't think there is such a
    > creature".

    And I didn't name you or reference your post. Someone else's
    post had, 'As another poster mentioned, there is not such a
    thing as a "panoramic digital camera".'

    > And at $28,900 WITHOUT LENS it's safe to say that for most
    > people your example does not exist either.

    By that standard, a lot of very real stuff doesn't. Personally
    I find the camera interesting even though I cannot afford one.
    Scanning backs and panoramic digital cameras work on the same
    basic principle as flat-bed scanners. Much cheaper mass-market
    versions are possible.

    --
    --Bryan
    Bryan Olson, Aug 15, 2003
  9. Saqib Ali

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/15/03 3:47 PM, in article
    yFb%a.4178$, "Andrew McDonald"
    <> wrote:

    > Bryan Olson wrote:
    >> Saqib Ali wrote:
    >>

    >>> I am looking for a good panoramic digital camera that is not SLR. Any ideas?

    >> Well, since you didn't specify "inexpensive" or even
    >> "affordable", maybe you are interested in the true panoramic
    >> digital camera that other posts claimed not to exist:

    > I didn't say that none existed. I said "I don't think there is such a
    > creature". And at $28,900 WITHOUT LENS it's safe to say that for most
    > people your example does not exist either.

    That was a very interesting site. I've seen those shots on several Real
    Estate websites. A person could make a pretty good living if they had a few
    Realtors as clients. The Photomatix software link has got my attention as
    well. Thanks for the heads-up!

    George Kerby, Aug 15, 2003
  10. Saqib Ali

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "Saqib Ali" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am looking for a good panoramic digital camera that is not SLR. Any

    ideas?

    > Thanks
    > Saqib Ali
    > http://www.xml-dev.com/

    Use any dcam with a good tripod and head that has indexing marks on it.
    Overlap by about 30% each photograph. Photoshop Elements 2.0 has an easy
    program to stitch them together. I'd suggest locking exposure on the first
    shot to keep them all relatively the same exposure wise. It is a fun project
    to do.

    Jim Waggener, Aug 15, 2003
  11. Paul Repacholi wrote:
    > A WideLux type panoramic digital would be piss easy. Good linear
    > tri-colour CCD and a panoramic scan body, plus a bit of electronics.
    > Be no trouble to do a full 360 in fact.

    Might be piss easy but someone had a link to one that was about $30K.
    Andrew McDonald, Aug 18, 2003
  12. Saqib Ali

    J.W. Guest

    Re: panoramic digital camera (Kaidan 360 mirror lens)

    I have a Kaidan 360 degree panoramic lens (parabolic mirror) that you
    might be interested in. You can check it out at:

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=zdynamics1&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

    Also, the Kaidan website is: http://www.kaidan.com

    J.W., Aug 18, 2003