    needed.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks, John

    JohnR, Nov 28, 2004

  2. I have yet to do something like this...but I know what might work. Make a
    stand....a box made of metal or plastic. On the north upright side arrange a
    way to hang artwork flat to the plane. East and west are open for
    lights...you might want to look into polarizing these. On the south wall
    make a pipe that goes horizontally with clamps on the end and a clamp in the
    middle for a tripod mount. By moving the clamps around you can put the
    camera anywhere you want on that plane.

    Or...make a wooden grid...put a tripod clamp in each one...move camera from
    clamp to clamp. Be sure your photos overlap by quite a bit...25% on each
    side is not too much.

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 28, 2004

  3. JohnR

    Ryadia Guest

    Movie makers use rails and just roll on down to the next point!
    Why not use wheels on your tripod and a board or plank to guide the travel?

    Ryadia, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Might need to put some markers around the outside to help align the images.
    But with care...should work fine. I have only done one pano using PS-CS but
    it did fine. It really should be easier than the OP expects.

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 28, 2004
  5. JohnR

    Hunt Guest

    In article <GHbqd.50857$>, ryadia@hotmail.
    com says...

    >Movie makers use rails and just roll on down to the next point!
    >Why not use wheels on your tripod and a board or plank to guide the travel?
    >

    >"JohnR" <> wrote in message
    >> After seeing the incredible panoramas people have stitched together, I was
    >> thinking of doing this the make high resolution copies of my artwork. The
    >> problem is keeping the camera at the same distance and the sensor plane
    >> parallel to the painting/drawing surface itself. Obviously, swiveling the
    >> tripod head won't work. Some type of linear adjustment mechanism would be
    >> needed.
    >> Any thoughts?
    >> Thanks, John

    Ryadia's method will work fine - I do large building panos this way all the
    time. If you don't have wheels handy, draw a line that is parallel with the
    artwork and hang a plumb-bob from the tripod. Match it to your line, when you
    move the tripod. You might also find it easy to mount the artwork in wooden
    rails on the wall, and move it, in front of a static camera.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Nov 28, 2004
  6. JohnR

    Savidge4 Guest

    >After seeing the incredible panoramas people have stitched together, I was
    >thinking of doing this the make high resolution copies of my artwork. The
    >problem is keeping the camera at the same distance and the sensor plane
    >parallel to the painting/drawing surface itself. Obviously, swiveling the
    >tripod head won't work. Some type of linear adjustment mechanism would be
    >needed.
    >Any thoughts?

    i do a bit of this kind of work. Doing Panos of sy a painting is different
    than doing panos of land scapes. My personal out of the box answer for you is
    a HP Scanjet 4600 ($79.00) or the HP Scanjet 4670 ($179.00). they are not your
    average flatbed scanner. you can moce the scanning surface across your image.
    I use the software that comes with the scanner to stitch them together. the
    best part is that there is no more worrying about horizontal and vertical
    planes!

    Hope that helps!

    Savidge4, Nov 28, 2004
  7. JohnR

    dylan Guest

    If it's a painting or drawing etc, why not move that instead of the camera
    ?. If it's on a flat suface ie floor them the distances etc will stay the
    same.

    dylan, Nov 28, 2004
  8. "Ryadia" <> wrote in message
    > Movie makers use rails and just roll on down to the next point!
    > Why not use wheels on your tripod and a board or plank to guide the

    travel?

    Or move the artwork in front of a camera on sturdy tripod.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Nov 28, 2004
  9. "JohnR" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Obviously, swiveling the tripod head won't work. Some type
    > of linear adjustment mechanism would be needed.

    You can take either approach. Either you rotate the camera around the
    entry pupil of the lens, or use plan-parallel shifts of the artwork or
    the camera. With the latter (shifts) approach the postprocessing is
    much simplified (assuming a distortion free lens), but even rotating
    can be compensated for with software (at potentially a slight loss of
    resolution).

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Nov 28, 2004