    preferably in a pocket. And I realize the TZ3 is just a little big and heavy
    for that. But it sure seems to have some obvious features that override the
    complaints. Whatchathink???

    Jack Carter, Aug 17, 2007

  2. On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:26:24 -0500, Jack Carter <> wrote:
    > I'm on the verge of investing in a Panasonic TZ3 and would like to hear what
    > some of you think about it - especially if you own one. I'm well aware of
    > its reported noise reduction "problems" but I figure I'll have 14 days to
    > play with it and see if they bother me that much. I have a Rebel XT to use
    > when I get "serious". I'm looking for a P&S that I can easily carry -
    > preferably in a pocket. And I realize the TZ3 is just a little big and heavy
    > for that. But it sure seems to have some obvious features that override the
    > complaints. Whatchathink???

    I'd say that the big question you need to ask yourself is whether the
    long zoom is a must-have feature. If not, you probably would be better
    off with something a little smaller to serve as a pocket camera. If you
    want the long zoom in a compact body, the TZ series is about as compact
    as you can get.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Aug 17, 2007

  3. Jack Carter wrote:
    > I'm on the verge of investing in a Panasonic TZ3 and would like to
    > hear what some of you think about it - especially if you own one. I'm
    > well aware of its reported noise reduction "problems" but I figure
    > I'll have 14 days to play with it and see if they bother me that
    > much. I have a Rebel XT to use when I get "serious". I'm looking for
    > a P&S that I can easily carry - preferably in a pocket. And I realize
    > the TZ3 is just a little big and heavy for that. But it sure seems to
    > have some obvious features that override the complaints.
    > Whatchathink???

    I've seen many pictures taken with that camera over a few days, and I can
    heartily recommend it on the basis of the results, especially as you have
    a DSLR for when it's needed. Excellent lens. Do try it in the shop to
    see how well it fits in your hands. It would certainly fit in my coat or
    trouser pocket.

    I have one of the bigger Panasonic models (FZ5) and my wife has the FZ20,
    and we are both delighted with the results.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 17, 2007
  4. Jack Carter

    Steven Toney Guest

    I have both a TZ1 and TZ3

    Like them both and the pictures have been good in my use as my primary
    camera for travel and hiking/backpacking

    I personally like the size of the TZ1 better as it actually fits my hand
    better than the TZ3

    The TZ3 is smaller, but crowds the control buttons and grip area in a small
    area

    I like the TZ3 for not having to fiddle with a lens cap

    They took the ability to zoom in while filming in movie mode out of the
    TZ3 - this works in the TZ1

    I liked the ability to do this

    pictures to me are about the same in both camera

    I wish both had the ability to set aperture or shutter priority modes so I
    could have a little more control on ocassion, but I also have a panasonic
    FZ50 that do well in the control area.

    but in the end they have turned out to be good cameras

    Steven Toney, Aug 17, 2007
  5. Jack Carter

    Nushar Guest

    Jack Carter <> wrote:

    : I'm on the verge of investing in a Panasonic TZ3 and would like to hear what
    : some of you think about it - especially if you own one. I'm well aware of
    : its reported noise reduction "problems" but I figure I'll have 14 days to
    : play with it and see if they bother me that much. I have a Rebel XT to use
    : when I get "serious". I'm looking for a P&S that I can easily carry -
    : preferably in a pocket. And I realize the TZ3 is just a little big and heavy
    : for that. But it sure seems to have some obvious features that override the
    : complaints. Whatchathink???

    Don't own one but fiddled with it enough. If long zoom is more
    important than aperture-priority, TZ3 is an excellent choice. I ended
    up deciding that aperture-priority was more important to me than long
    zoom, so LX2 is more my type. I am waiting to see and handle FZ18 which
    seems to offer everything except small size. The noise issue ought to
    be common to all Panasonics. We are down to personal decisions here.

    --
    Z (Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)

    Nushar, Aug 17, 2007
  6. Jack Carter

    Jack Carter Guest

    I REALLY appreciate everyone's answers to my post. You have all pretty much
    confirmed my thinking about the TZ3. The long zoom and the image
    stabilization are very important to me. From the samples I've seen, the
    noise issue just doesn't look like that much of a problem. THANX AGAIN.

    Jack Carter, Aug 17, 2007
  7. Jack Carter

    loony Guest

    Re: Panasonic TZ3 or ???

    On 17 Aug, 19:33, "Jack Carter" <>
    wrote:
    > I REALLY appreciate everyone's answers to my post. You have all pretty much
    > confirmed my thinking about the TZ3. The long zoom and the image
    > stabilization are very important to me. From the samples I've seen, the
    > noise issue just doesn't look like that much of a problem. THANX AGAIN.

    Probably too late now but I've had my TZ3 for around month and have
    been trying it out with test shots. I hasten to add I'm not a
    photographer but the shots I have got, especially those using the zoom
    capability have been impressive. Overall I'm very pleased with my
    purchase.

    loony, Aug 20, 2007