    when filming in a quiet environment.
    Could other TZ3 owners take a motion picture and see if they notice
    any background noise, and let me know the results. Thanks.

    runrunbill, Dec 6, 2007

  2. runrunbill

    Guest

    On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:14:34 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital runrunbill
    <> wrote:

    >I have just bought a Panasonic TZ3 and while trying out the motion
    >picture function, I noticed a background noise on the audio playback
    >both on the camera and through the PC speakers. It is not just a
    >steady background hiss but a fluctuating noise. It is more noticeable
    >when filming in a quiet environment.
    >Could other TZ3 owners take a motion picture and see if they notice
    >any background noise, and let me know the results. Thanks.

    Does it have a continuous autofocus selection? If so, turn it off.

    , Dec 6, 2007

  3. runrunbill

    runrunbill Guest

    On 6 Dec, 21:20, wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:14:34 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital runrunbill
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have just bought a Panasonic TZ3 and while trying out the motion
    > >picture function, I noticed a background noise on the audio playback
    > >both on the camera and through the PC speakers. It is not just a
    > >steady background hiss but a fluctuating noise. It is more noticeable
    > >when filming in a quiet environment.
    > >Could other TZ3 owners take a motion picture and see if they notice
    > >any background noise, and let me know the results. Thanks.

    > Does it have a continuous autofocus selection? If so, turn it off.

    The continuous autofocus selection is turned off.
    After more investigation I noticed that if I press the camera to my
    ear the noise can be heard all the time in all "Dial Modes" except the
    "playback" mode. So now I need to know is this just a "fault" on my
    camera or is it a quirk of this model.

    runrunbill, Dec 7, 2007
  4. runrunbill

    Marty Fremen Guest

    runrunbill <> wrote:
    > On 6 Dec, 21:20, wrote:
    >> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:14:34 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital runrunbill
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >I have just bought a Panasonic TZ3 and while trying out the motion
    >> >picture function, I noticed a background noise on the audio playback
    >> >both on the camera and through the PC speakers. It is not just a
    >> >steady background hiss but a fluctuating noise. It is more noticeable
    >> >when filming in a quiet environment.
    >> >Could other TZ3 owners take a motion picture and see if they notice any
    >> >background noise, and let me know the results. Thanks.

    >> Does it have a continuous autofocus selection? If so, turn it off.

    > The continuous autofocus selection is turned off.
    > After more investigation I noticed that if I press the camera to my
    > ear the noise can be heard all the time in all "Dial Modes" except the
    > "playback" mode. So now I need to know is this just a "fault" on my
    > camera or is it a quirk of this model.

    My Nikon S10's optical assembly actually produces a faint ticking noise
    about once per second which can be heard clearly on the soundtrack of
    videos; disabling image stabilisation has no effect. Listening closely to
    the camera, I found the sound only disappears when the optical part of the
    camera is turned off, i.e. in playback mode or sound recorder mode (which
    also has much better quality sound (22KHz) than the video recording mode).

    IME, all cameras using built-in microphones suffer audio noise. Merely
    moving a finger slightly whilst holding the camera will result in an
    audible rasping sound, and it's hard to avoid this during filming. Add in
    the fact that most cameras only use 8KHz 8 bit mono and you end up with a
    soundtrack that makes it impossible to take the movie mode of cameras
    seriously despite the fact that many of them can produce a pretty decent
    video image. Even the Canon TX1 which was vaunted as a serious hybrid
    camera suffers from having built-in mics and no mic socket, which rather
    negates its (probably unique) 44KHz stereo soundtrack capability.

    Marty Fremen, Dec 7, 2007