    PC and somehow transfer or format the drive? I no longer have a warranty for
    this unit and would really like to avoid taking it to a service place.

    Thank you very much for any help
    eroy, Oct 26, 2005

  2. eroy

    maiet Guest

    "eroy" <> wrote in message
    news:GBS7f.18956$...
    > My Panasonic DMR-E100H set-top recorder is going through the endless error
    > loop whenever I power on [SELF-CHECK > Error has occured > press enter >
    > change the disc > ejects > BYE...]. Doing a google search i found this was

    > common problem with some of these Panasonic units, and is likely caused by
    > excessive editing and maxing out the space. I'm wondering if there's any

    way
    > to retrieve/salvage what's on the 180 maxtor HD, is there a way to boot

    into
    > a service mode where i can reset or maybe format?
    >
    > As a last resort, would it be possible to take out the HD and slave it on

    my
    > PC and somehow transfer or format the drive? I no longer have a warranty

    for
    > this unit and would really like to avoid taking it to a service place.
    >
    > Thank you very much for any help

    this always happens to me as a result of using a crap dvd-r. always turns
    off and stuffs around for a few minutes. tdk, princo, laser all have done
    this to me. nothing to do with the drive, you can format it on the recorder
    too.
    maiet, Oct 26, 2005

  3. eroy

    Brian K Guest

    > As a last resort, would it be possible to take out the HD and slave it on
    > my PC and somehow transfer or format the drive? I no longer have a
    > warranty for this unit and would really like to avoid taking it to a
    > service place.

    I'd be interested in an answer too. Can you replace the HD with a larger
    one?
    Brian K, Oct 27, 2005
  4. eroy

    eroy Guest

    "maiet" <> wrote in message

    > "eroy" <> wrote in message
    >> My Panasonic DMR-E100H set-top recorder is going through the endless
    >> error
    >> loop whenever I power on [SELF-CHECK > Error has occured > press enter >
    >> change the disc > ejects > BYE...]. Doing a google search i found this
    >> was

    >> common problem with some of these Panasonic units, and is likely caused
    >> by
    >> excessive editing and maxing out the space. I'm wondering if there's any

    > way
    >> to retrieve/salvage what's on the 180 maxtor HD, is there a way to boot

    > into
    >> a service mode where i can reset or maybe format?
    >>
    >> As a last resort, would it be possible to take out the HD and slave it on

    > my
    >> PC and somehow transfer or format the drive? I no longer have a warranty

    > for
    >> this unit and would really like to avoid taking it to a service place.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much for any help

    > this always happens to me as a result of using a crap dvd-r. always turns
    > off and stuffs around for a few minutes. tdk, princo, laser all have done
    > this to me. nothing to do with the drive, you can format it on the
    > recorder
    > too.

    The problem is i don't have access to the menu that would allow me to
    reformat, it's stuck on the error cycle.
    eroy, Oct 27, 2005

  5. > The problem is i don't have access to the menu that would allow me to
    > reformat, it's stuck on the error cycle.

    When my Panny really misbehaves and refuses to be
    nice I just unplug it and let it sit for a few
    hours and it seems much happier after that.

    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, Oct 27, 2005
  6. eroy

    eroy Guest

    "Darrel Christenson" <> wrote in message

    >> The problem is i don't have access to the menu that would allow me to
    >> reformat, it's stuck on the error cycle.

    > When my Panny really misbehaves and refuses to be
    > nice I just unplug it and let it sit for a few
    > hours and it seems much happier after that.
    >

    > drc :)

    I've tried that, didn't work :( all night even. What model do you have?
    eroy, Oct 27, 2005
  7. eroy

    root Guest

    eroy <> wrote:
    > My Panasonic DMR-E100H set-top recorder is going through the endless error
    > loop whenever I power on [SELF-CHECK > Error has occured > press enter >
    > change the disc > ejects > BYE...]. Doing a google search i found this was a
    > common problem with some of these Panasonic units, and is likely caused by
    > excessive editing and maxing out the space. I'm wondering if there's any way
    > to retrieve/salvage what's on the 180 maxtor HD, is there a way to boot into
    > a service mode where i can reset or maybe format?
    >
    > As a last resort, would it be possible to take out the HD and slave it on my
    > PC and somehow transfer or format the drive? I no longer have a warranty for
    > this unit and would really like to avoid taking it to a service place.
    >
    > Thank you very much for any help

    If there is a DVD in the drive you will have to get it out before
    addressing the hard drive question. Try all the tricks you can find after
    a google search. It has happened to me on an E85 and, after a while,
    the machine will disgorge the disk.

    If you don't have a disk in the machine, or if you still have problems
    after getting a disk out, then you may have trouble with the hard
    drive. It is very easy to replace the drive. Remove the cover of the
    machine. The hard drive is held in place by a bracket which is held down
    by two screws. Rubber cushions surround the drive. With power cable
    removed from the unit: pull the signal cable and power cable off the
    drive. Set the new drive to cable select and put it back just as you
    took the old drive out. You can then format the new drive.

    BTW, Best Buy has a 120Gb Seagate drive for $30 after rebate right now.
    root, Oct 27, 2005
  8. eroy

    Java Jive Guest

    "eroy" <> wrote in message
    > My Panasonic DMR-E100H set-top recorder is going through the endless error
    > loop whenever I power on [SELF-CHECK > Error has occured > press enter >
    > change the disc > ejects > BYE...].

    If this is caused by a faulty DVD, then rtfm p70, "Cannot eject a disc"

    > Doing a google search i found this was a
    > common problem with some of these Panasonic units, and is likely caused by
    > excessive editing and maxing out the space.

    Never encountered it myself.

    > I'm wondering if there's any way
    > to retrieve/salvage what's on the 180 maxtor HD

    No, it uses a HD version of the same UDF-based format used for DVD-RAM, a
    non-PC format, and, unfortunately, unless things have changed with more
    recent models, the HD size is hard-encoded into the machine, so any
    replacement HD will be formatted to exactly the same capacity as the
    original.

    >, is there a way to boot into
    > a service mode

    Search here ...
    .... for previous posts by myself on this model's service menu.
    eg: With all of the words: panasonic hd format
    With the exact phrase: service menu
    ... from the group ...: *dvd*

    > where i can reset or maybe format?
    >
    > As a last resort, would it be possible to take out the HD and slave it on

    my
    > PC and somehow transfer or format the drive? I no longer have a warranty

    for
    > this unit and would really like to avoid taking it to a service place.

    No, see above.
    Java Jive, Oct 27, 2005
  9. In article <GBS7f.18956$>,
    eroy <> wrote:
    :My Panasonic DMR-E100H set-top recorder is going through the endless error
    :loop whenever I power on [SELF-CHECK > Error has occured > press enter >
    :change the disc > ejects > BYE...]. Doing a google search i found this was a
    :common problem with some of these Panasonic units, and is likely caused by
    :excessive editing and maxing out the space. I'm wondering if there's any way
    :to retrieve/salvage what's on the 180 maxtor HD, is there a way to boot into
    :a service mode where i can reset or maybe format?

    There's no way that I know of to recover what's currently on the drive,
    but there is a way to coax the E100 into reformatting the drive. You'll
    need another disk drive, but only temporarily. Install the replacement
    drive and power up the E100. It will tell you that the drive needs to
    be formatted. DON'T DO IT. Just turn the unit off and re-install the
    original drive. When you power up the E100 again it will see that the
    drive has been changed and tell you it needs to be formatted.

    Robert Nichols, Oct 27, 2005

  10. > I've tried that, didn't work :( all night even. What model do you have?

    It's an E50. There's a hardware reset too, first
    you unplug for a few minutes and then you have to
    be holding in a couple of the front panel buttons
    when you plug it back in. Let's see now, hmmm...
    I'll have to try and track that down.

    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, Oct 27, 2005
  11. eroy

    >> I've tried that, didn't work :( all night even. What model do you
    >> have?

    > It's an E50. There's a hardware reset too, first
    > you unplug for a few minutes and then you have to
    > be holding in a couple of the front panel buttons
    > when you plug it back in. Let's see now, hmmm...
    > I'll have to try and track that down.
    >

    > drc :)

    I really appreciate it... I need to try everything possible before giving up
    and just reformatting.
    eroy, Oct 27, 2005
  12. eroy

    eroy Guest

    "Robert Nichols" <> wrote in
    message news:djqosq$nsf$...
    > In article <GBS7f.18956$>,
    > eroy <> wrote:
    > :My Panasonic DMR-E100H set-top recorder is going through the endless
    > error
    > :loop whenever I power on [SELF-CHECK > Error has occured > press enter >
    > :change the disc > ejects > BYE...]. Doing a google search i found this
    > was a
    > :common problem with some of these Panasonic units, and is likely caused
    > by
    > :excessive editing and maxing out the space. I'm wondering if there's any
    > way
    > :to retrieve/salvage what's on the 180 maxtor HD, is there a way to boot
    > into
    > :a service mode where i can reset or maybe format?
    >
    > There's no way that I know of to recover what's currently on the drive,
    > but there is a way to coax the E100 into reformatting the drive. You'll
    > need another disk drive, but only temporarily. Install the replacement
    > drive and power up the E100. It will tell you that the drive needs to
    > be formatted. DON'T DO IT. Just turn the unit off and re-install the
    > original drive. When you power up the E100 again it will see that the
    > drive has been changed and tell you it needs to be formatted.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "RNichols42"

    Thanks for the instructions. I'm trying to save some important family video
    that I transferred onto the Panasonic (about 20 minutes worth), but didn't
    immediately record on DVD, and preceeded to record more filling up the drive
    (although it did say i had about 27 minutes in SP mode left ??) That would
    be ok if I kept the tape, BUT I stupidly threw away the tape thinking all
    was fine, and that i'd get a chance in a day or two to burn it all. I
    obviously had no idea the unit had a damn 'bug' like this. I'm embarrassed
    to share this, but i'm a bit desperate now :eek:

    -Idiot

    Thanks
    eroy, Oct 27, 2005
  13. eroy

    Brian K Guest

    Robert,

    Is it that easy to change hard drives? I'd like to put a larger HD in my
    EH-50.

    Brian K, Oct 28, 2005
  14. eroy

    Java Jive Guest

    I'm baffled as to what part of this I explained so badly that people seem to
    have difficulty in understanding it ...

    No, it uses a HD version of the same UDF-based format used for DVD-RAM, a
    non-PC format, and, unfortunately, unless things have changed with more
    recent models, the HD size is hard-encoded into the machine, so any
    replacement HD will be formatted to exactly the same capacity as the
    original.
    <<<

    Java Jive, Oct 28, 2005
  15. eroy

    Brian K Guest

    Hi Java,

    It's very clear. However I posted 3 days ago. Your posts are dated 27 and 28
    Oct and even though I check this Newsgroup twice a day, both of your posts
    only appeared in the last hour. Strange.

    Brian K, Oct 31, 2005
  16. eroy

    Java Jive Guest

    Yes, strange indeed ... Apologies then ...

    Java Jive, Oct 31, 2005
  17. eroy

    Brian K Guest

    None needed.

    Brian K, Oct 31, 2005
  18. eroy

    zenia Guest

    "Java Jive" <> wrote in message
    > I'm baffled as to what part of this I explained so badly that people seem
    > have difficulty in understanding it ...
    >

    > No, it uses a HD version of the same UDF-based format used for DVD-RAM, a
    > non-PC format, and, unfortunately, unless things have changed with more
    > recent models, the HD size is hard-encoded into the machine, so any
    > replacement HD will be formatted to exactly the same capacity as the
    > original.
    > <<<

    Hi , I'm dense, so i'll go ahead and ask: this applies to smaller capacity
    drives? It HAS to be the exact same size...i wanna make sure. I have an
    extra drive i wanted to install in another set-top that has no drive--the
    old one is damaged.
    thanks
    zenia, Nov 1, 2005
  19. eroy

    Java Jive Guest

    Is it a Panasonic? If yes, I don't know of anyone trying a smaller drive in
    one, so I can't give a definitive answer, but my guess is that you're
    shafted. If it's another make, then there may be hope, depending on the
    make.

    There's a remote possibility that a Panasonic's firmware would allow for
    smaller drives from earlier models but not ones larger than the current
    maximum in use at the time of manufacture, so it *might* cope with a smaller
    drive. Do you care about the drive or its current contents? If not, you
    could try it. Of, course, there's a risk that it may actually break the
    drive, though I rather think it would be more likely to just give errors,
    which may only appear as the smaller capacity gets filled up with recordings
    and the firmware tries to write to areas of the disk beyond those which
    physically exist.

    A larger drive would be no problem in a Panasonic, but, unless things have
    changed since mine was manufactured, you would only be able to use the
    original's capacity of it, the rest would be wasted.

    Java Jive, Nov 1, 2005
  20. eroy

    Biz Guest

    "zenia" <> wrote in message

    > "Java Jive" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm baffled as to what part of this I explained so badly that people

    seem
    > > have difficulty in understanding it ...
    > >

    > > No, it uses a HD version of the same UDF-based format used for DVD-RAM,

    > > non-PC format, and, unfortunately, unless things have changed with more
    > > recent models, the HD size is hard-encoded into the machine, so any
    > > replacement HD will be formatted to exactly the same capacity as the
    > > original.
    > > <<<

    > Hi , I'm dense, so i'll go ahead and ask: this applies to smaller capacity
    > drives? It HAS to be the exact same size...i wanna make sure. I have an
    > extra drive i wanted to install in another set-top that has no drive--the
    > old one is damaged.
    > thanks

    I'm going to make an educated guess and say any replacement drive needs to
    be the same size or bigger than the original size. Although upon
    formatting, it will only end up the same size as the original drive. I will
    also make an educated guess and say you CANNOT use a drive even slightly
    smaller, as you get an error.
    Biz, Nov 1, 2005