Panasonic S25 DVD player w/o S-video output - will its replacement have S-video?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mark, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I really liked the Panasonic S35 DVD player, but its replacement - the
    S25 - is missing the S-video output which is important to me because
    composite looks worse and we don't have a component input TV.

    I saw the Panasonic S25 is going on closeout for $70, but last I
    looked at Panasonic's web site I could not find what model is going to
    replace it. Does anyone know if Panasonic is going to replace the S25
    model with a unit with S-video output (like the good old S35)... or is
    the new strategy to leave off the S-video connector except on the more
    expensive ($100+) units?

    What would be the next step up with S-video output in the Panasonic
    line? The S55? I think it's at least $100 vs. $70 for the S25. It's a
    dilemma because I like everything about the S25 except no S-video
    output, but I don't feel like paying $30+ more to get S-video output,
    especially after I got my S35 which has S-video output for $60 last
    year. I would've bought 2 S35s if I had known they'd do this.

    I'm steering away from Toshibas and Sonys because my brief testing
    showed occasional minor playback issues. In other words, they seems to
    be "picky" with some DVD-R media and speeds, but Panasonics and newer
    Pioneers have always played everything I've tried without problems.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Mark, Feb 10, 2004

  2. >
    >I really liked the Panasonic S35 DVD player, but its replacement - the
    >S25 - is missing the S-video output

    >I'm steering away from Toshibas and Sonys because my brief testing
    >showed occasional minor playback issues. In other words, they seems to
    >be "picky" with some DVD-R media and speeds, but Panasonics and newer
    >Pioneers have always played everything I've tried without problems.

    Well, if you can't find a suitable Panasonic, then go with a Pioneer. Or, try
    out JVC. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Feb 11, 2004