Panasonic NV-VP33 and NV-VP60 DVD-players and multiple Regions, andanother matter related to playing

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ken, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Hi guys. I'm in Australia (Region 4). Next Monday I have to conduct an
    adult education class on film history and I want to play brief excerpts
    from various feature movies which I have on commercial DVDs from various
    Regions (1, 2, and 4). The technician tells me that there are two
    DVD-players available: Panasonic NV-VP33 and NV-VP60. He says that one
    of these is Region 4 and the other is 'no Region' (I'm not exactly sure
    what the latter is - it's not the same as 'multi-Region', is it?). Will
    the 'no Region' machine be able to handle all of my discs? Does someone
    have a code we could enter in the machine to make it play all of my discs?

    There's a time-consuming partial alternative. I have the software to
    copy the various discs onto Region-free discs. But I'm not sure that
    the Panasonic machine will then play such 'home-made' copies of feature
    films.

    Can anybody advise on any of these matters?

    Thanks - Ken (in Oz)

    P.S. I may cross-post this request for help on one or two other groups.
    I hope that doesn't offend anyone but I'm racing against time for
    any help I can get.
    Ken, Sep 2, 2009

  2. Ken

    TheJoker Guest

    Re: Panasonic NV-VP33 and NV-VP60 DVD-players and multiple Regions, and another matter related to playing 'home-made' discs

    On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 00:10:33 +1000, Ken <> wrote:

    >Can anybody advise on any of these matters?

    Play it on your computer with an HDCP compliant video card in it.

    Use that to pump the TV when you have 'odd' source media encodings.

    My computer, game console (PS3), DVD and BD DVD and HD DVD players and
    my home stereo, are all integrated together with my home stereo system.

    Currently 3 monitors. Two are dedicated to the PC as I rarely pump my
    full size TV from the computer, though I used to do so. I have an over
    and under setup.

    A 23" and 24" side by side, and a 46" 120Hz on top. The 23" is a high
    resolution (2048 x 1152) display. All three accept 1080p feeds.
    TheJoker, Sep 3, 2009

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Re: Panasonic NV-VP33 and NV-VP60 DVD-players and multiple Regions,and another matter related to playing 'home-made' discs

    Ken thanks The Joker for this ...
    -----

    Ken, Sep 3, 2009
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Kimba W Lion wrote:
    > Ken <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys. I'm in Australia (Region 4). Next Monday I have to conduct an
    >> adult education class on film history and I want to play brief excerpts
    >>from various feature movies which I have on commercial DVDs from various
    >> Regions (1, 2, and 4). The technician tells me that there are two
    >> DVD-players available: Panasonic NV-VP33 and NV-VP60. He says that one
    >> of these is Region 4 and the other is 'no Region' (I'm not exactly sure
    >> what the latter is - it's not the same as 'multi-Region', is it?). Will
    >> the 'no Region' machine be able to handle all of my discs? Does someone
    >> have a code we could enter in the machine to make it play all of my discs?

    > I couldn't find any codes, but on one forum they said the NV-VP33 was
    > region-free right out of the box (the Australian government supports
    > region-free players; yet another reason I should move to Australia). Anyway,
    > "no region" should be the same as "multi-region", so go with whichever one
    > that is.

    Thanks, Kimba. Actually the technician thinks that both the Panasonic
    machines are just Region 4 + no Region. So a friend is bringing her own
    cheap DVD-player (ironically, it was a gift from me) which might be more
    amenable to my needs. We certainly know that it plays 'home-made' discs
    that I have made here on my computer.

    - Ken (in Oz)
    Ken, Sep 3, 2009