    sec. vs. 15 sec.).

    Anyone have experience with the S80 and either the LX1 or LX2 that can
    offer any other useful comparison info based on practical experience?
    Pete from Boston, Nov 7, 2006

  2. Pete from Boston

    minnesotti Guest

    Pete from Boston wrote:

    > Anyone have experience with the S80 and either the LX1 or LX2 that can
    > offer any other useful comparison info based on practical experience?

    There is a review which I think is the best available comparison of LX1
    vs S80. Though, it is not in English. However, if you click through the
    pages, you will see lots of comparative pictures labelled in English.
    You could laso use the Internet translator.

    http://www.videozona.ru/photo_tests/reviews/PanasonicLX1/PanasonicLX1_page00.asp
    minnesotti, Nov 8, 2006

  3. Pete from Boston

    Guest

    Pete from Boston wrote:
    > I'm looking to replace my Canon Powershot S80 after one too many E18
    > fiascoes and I'm looking at the Panasonic Lumix LX1 or LX2. Both offer
    > 28mm wide angle, which is important to me, and mst of the same features
    > as the S80, as far as I can tell. They have a larger minimum aperature
    > than the Canon, though, without the ISO 50 to compensate in extreme
    > brightness. Though they have a much longer minimum shutter speed (60
    > sec. vs. 15 sec.).
    >
    > Anyone have experience with the S80 and either the LX1 or LX2 that can
    > offer any other useful comparison info based on practical experience?

    When I was buying my last camera, I was choosing between the S80 and
    the LX1 (and ended up with the LX1). The most important differences are
    as follows:

    - LX1 has RAW format, S80 doesn't

    - S80 has an RGB histogram, LX1 only has a luminosity histogram

    - LX1 has much better controls - physical switch on the lens to switch
    between autofocus and manual focus, AF/AE lock.

    - LX1 has a true 16:9 ratio sensor (there is also a physical switch to
    switch between formats).

    - Manual focus works a little better on the S80.

    - S80 has an optical viewfinder, LX1 doesn't.

    - The LCD screen on the LX1 is waaaay better than the one on the S80,
    which makes it much easier to compose and review pictures.

    - The LX1 has a better lens.

    - The S80 is less noisy than the LX1, even at low ISO.

    - The LX1 is smaller, but the protruding lens makes it awkward to put
    it in your pocket. The S80 is larger but flatter.

    Those are the major differences that jumped out at me. As I said
    earlier, I bought the LX1 and I'm very happy with it.

    -Gniewko
    , Nov 8, 2006
  4. Using 16:9 aspect ratio - was: Re: Panasonic LX1/2 vs. Canon S80

    wrote:
    []
    > - LX1 has a true 16:9 ratio sensor (there is also a physical switch to
    > switch between formats).

    []
    > Those are the major differences that jumped out at me. As I said
    > earlier, I bought the LX1 and I'm very happy with it.
    >
    > -Gniewko

    Do you have a 16:9 TV to display your pictures on? How useful do you find
    this mode? Has it influenced your picture taking?

    I recently bought a 16:9 TV and was pleasantly surprised by the aspect
    ratio.

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 8, 2006
  5. Pete from Boston

    Guest

    Re: Using 16:9 aspect ratio - was: Re: Panasonic LX1/2 vs. Canon S80

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > wrote:
    > []
    > > - LX1 has a true 16:9 ratio sensor (there is also a physical switch to
    > > switch between formats).

    > []
    > > Those are the major differences that jumped out at me. As I said
    > > earlier, I bought the LX1 and I'm very happy with it.
    > >
    > > -Gniewko

    > Do you have a 16:9 TV to display your pictures on? How useful do you find
    > this mode? Has it influenced your picture taking?
    >
    > I recently bought a 16:9 TV and was pleasantly surprised by the aspect
    > ratio.
    >
    > David

    No, I don't have a 16:9 TV, but ever since I got the LX1, 16:9 is all
    I've shot. So yes, I do find this mode useful. I'm not sure exactly why
    I like the 16:9 ratio, but I do. Photos in that format seem to have a
    more open, spacious feel, and a more movie-like quality. You can create
    interesting tension by moving the subject further away from the center
    of the photo (further than you can in 4:3). And when you put the
    subject exactly in the center, that's much more noticeable. The wide
    format simply gives you more composition options, and I really like
    that. And of course there is more geometric difference between
    horizontal and vertical pictures.

    Here are a few of my shots where I think the wide aspect ratio made the
    photo more interesting:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/183900378/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/284371353/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/284095731/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/254500189/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/253807553/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/236081085/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/194501730/

    -Gniewko
    , Nov 8, 2006
  6. Re: Using 16:9 aspect ratio - was: Re: Panasonic LX1/2 vs. Canon S80

    wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> []
    >>> - LX1 has a true 16:9 ratio sensor (there is also a physical switch
    >>> to switch between formats).

    >> []
    >>> Those are the major differences that jumped out at me. As I said
    >>> earlier, I bought the LX1 and I'm very happy with it.
    >>>
    >>> -Gniewko

    >> Do you have a 16:9 TV to display your pictures on? How useful do
    >> you find this mode? Has it influenced your picture taking?
    >>
    >> I recently bought a 16:9 TV and was pleasantly surprised by the
    >> aspect ratio.
    >>
    >> David

    > No, I don't have a 16:9 TV, but ever since I got the LX1, 16:9 is all
    > I've shot. So yes, I do find this mode useful. I'm not sure exactly
    > why I like the 16:9 ratio, but I do. Photos in that format seem to
    > have a more open, spacious feel, and a more movie-like quality. You
    > can create interesting tension by moving the subject further away
    > from the center of the photo (further than you can in 4:3). And when
    > you put the subject exactly in the center, that's much more
    > noticeable. The wide format simply gives you more composition
    > options, and I really like that. And of course there is more
    > geometric difference between horizontal and vertical pictures.
    >
    > Here are a few of my shots where I think the wide aspect ratio made
    > the photo more interesting:
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/183900378/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/284371353/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/284095731/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/254500189/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/253807553/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/236081085/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/194501730/
    >
    > -Gniewko

    Simply inspiring, Gniewko, you have some great shots there!

    Thanks,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 8, 2006
  7. Pete from Boston

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > David J Taylor wrote:
    > >> wrote:
    > >> []
    > >> []

    > >> Do you have a 16:9 TV to display your pictures on? How useful do
    > >> you find this mode? Has it influenced your picture taking?
    > >>
    > >> I recently bought a 16:9 TV and was pleasantly surprised by the
    > >> aspect ratio.
    > >>
    > >> David

    > > No, I don't have a 16:9 TV, but ever since I got the LX1, 16:9 is all
    > > I've shot. So yes, I do find this mode useful. I'm not sure exactly
    > > why I like the 16:9 ratio, but I do. Photos in that format seem to
    > > have a more open, spacious feel, and a more movie-like quality. You
    > > can create interesting tension by moving the subject further away
    > > from the center of the photo (further than you can in 4:3). And when
    > > you put the subject exactly in the center, that's much more
    > > noticeable. The wide format simply gives you more composition
    > > options, and I really like that. And of course there is more
    > > geometric difference between horizontal and vertical pictures.
    > >
    > > Here are a few of my shots where I think the wide aspect ratio made
    > > the photo more interesting:
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/183900378/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/284371353/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/284095731/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/254500189/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/253807553/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/236081085/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/194501730/
    > >
    > > -Gniewko

    > Simply inspiring, Gniewko, you have some great shots there!

    Hey, thanks. Glad you like them. Most of my Flickr pictures are
    snapshots that I want to share with friends, but these are a few of the
    more artsy images.

    -Gniewko
    , Nov 8, 2006
  8. Pete from Boston

    mrsgator88 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> []
    >> > - LX1 has a true 16:9 ratio sensor (there is also a physical switch to
    >> > switch between formats).

    >> []
    >> > Those are the major differences that jumped out at me. As I said
    >> > earlier, I bought the LX1 and I'm very happy with it.
    >> >
    >> > -Gniewko

    >> Do you have a 16:9 TV to display your pictures on? How useful do you
    >> find
    >> this mode? Has it influenced your picture taking?
    >>
    >> I recently bought a 16:9 TV and was pleasantly surprised by the aspect
    >> ratio.
    >>
    >> David

    > No, I don't have a 16:9 TV, but ever since I got the LX1, 16:9 is all
    > I've shot. So yes, I do find this mode useful. I'm not sure exactly why
    > I like the 16:9 ratio, but I do. Photos in that format seem to have a
    > more open, spacious feel, and a more movie-like quality. You can create
    > interesting tension by moving the subject further away from the center
    > of the photo (further than you can in 4:3). And when you put the
    > subject exactly in the center, that's much more noticeable. The wide
    > format simply gives you more composition options, and I really like
    > that. And of course there is more geometric difference between
    > horizontal and vertical pictures.
    >
    > Here are a few of my shots where I think the wide aspect ratio made the
    > photo more interesting:
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/183900378/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/284371353/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/284095731/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/254500189/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/253807553/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/236081085/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/194501730/
    >
    > -Gniewko

    When you were in Chicago, did you take any pictures of the Kidney Bean?

    mrsgator88, Nov 9, 2006
  9. Pete from Boston

    mrsgator88 wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > David J Taylor wrote:
    > >> wrote:
    > >> []
    > >> []

    > >> Do you have a 16:9 TV to display your pictures on? How useful do you
    > >> find
    > >> this mode? Has it influenced your picture taking?
    > >>
    > >> I recently bought a 16:9 TV and was pleasantly surprised by the aspect
    > >> ratio.
    > >>
    > >> David

    > > No, I don't have a 16:9 TV, but ever since I got the LX1, 16:9 is all
    > > I've shot. So yes, I do find this mode useful. I'm not sure exactly why
    > > I like the 16:9 ratio, but I do. Photos in that format seem to have a
    > > more open, spacious feel, and a more movie-like quality. You can create
    > > interesting tension by moving the subject further away from the center
    > > of the photo (further than you can in 4:3). And when you put the
    > > subject exactly in the center, that's much more noticeable. The wide
    > > format simply gives you more composition options, and I really like
    > > that. And of course there is more geometric difference between
    > > horizontal and vertical pictures.
    > >
    > > Here are a few of my shots where I think the wide aspect ratio made the
    > > photo more interesting:
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/183900378/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/284371353/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/284095731/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/254500189/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/253807553/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/236081085/
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/194501730/
    > >
    > > -Gniewko
    > >

    > When you were in Chicago, did you take any pictures of the Kidney Bean?

    I think I know what you're talking about - a chrome bean-shaped thing,
    right? I think I saw it in passing when I was there in the spring of
    '05, but this time I didn't go there. I was in Chicago just for the
    weekend and went out pretty late both nights, so I didn't do much
    sight-seeing beyond just going to the lakefront for a bit.

    -Gniewko
    , Nov 9, 2006
  10. Re: Using 16:9 aspect ratio - was: Re: Panasonic LX1/2 vs. Canon S80

    On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 04:53:15 GMT, mrsgator88 <> wrote:

    > When you were in Chicago, did you take any pictures of the Kidney Bean?

    Like these? http://ri22.uchicago.edu/~dmsilev/cloud_gate/

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 9, 2006
  11. wrote:
    > Pete from Boston wrote:
    > > I'm looking to replace my Canon Powershot S80 after one too many E18
    > > fiascoes and I'm looking at the Panasonic Lumix LX1 or LX2. Both offer
    > > 28mm wide angle, which is important to me, and mst of the same features
    > > as the S80, as far as I can tell. They have a larger minimum aperature
    > > than the Canon, though, without the ISO 50 to compensate in extreme
    > > brightness. Though they have a much longer minimum shutter speed (60
    > > sec. vs. 15 sec.).
    > >
    > > Anyone have experience with the S80 and either the LX1 or LX2 that can
    > > offer any other useful comparison info based on practical experience?

    > When I was buying my last camera, I was choosing between the S80 and
    > the LX1 (and ended up with the LX1). The most important differences are
    > as follows:
    >
    > - LX1 has RAW format, S80 doesn't
    >
    > - S80 has an RGB histogram, LX1 only has a luminosity histogram
    >
    > - LX1 has much better controls - physical switch on the lens to switch
    > between autofocus and manual focus, AF/AE lock.
    >
    > - LX1 has a true 16:9 ratio sensor (there is also a physical switch to
    > switch between formats).
    >
    > - Manual focus works a little better on the S80.
    >
    > - S80 has an optical viewfinder, LX1 doesn't.
    >
    > - The LCD screen on the LX1 is waaaay better than the one on the S80,
    > which makes it much easier to compose and review pictures.
    >
    > - The LX1 has a better lens.
    >
    > - The S80 is less noisy than the LX1, even at low ISO.
    >
    > - The LX1 is smaller, but the protruding lens makes it awkward to put
    > it in your pocket. The S80 is larger but flatter.
    >
    > Those are the major differences that jumped out at me. As I said
    > earlier, I bought the LX1 and I'm very happy with it.

    Thanks, this is a great rundown. I got my hands on an LX1 in a store
    briefly and it's bigger than I thought, demonstrating your point about
    the pocket. Unfortunately, the S80 is notorious for having its door
    (and consequently lens) open in the pocket, however well it may fit.
    This left me with a lens jammed beyond repair.

    I liked the controls better on the S80, though I am used to them, and
    didn't really have a good opportunity to test out the LX1 thoroughly.

    I need to get back into a better store iwth a little more time, but
    this info is great as I said.
    Pete from Boston, Nov 9, 2006