Panasonic Lumix vs. SD cards...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Markus Grein, Nov 11, 2007.

  1. Markus Grein

    Markus Grein Guest

    Hi!

    I'm stuck with a weird problem

    Until recently we've used a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1-EG - nice camera, does
    nice pictures, but one problem became obvious right from the beginning: For
    whatever reason I could not download pictures from the card (Sandisk Ultra
    II 512MB) with my card reader (Belkin). I kept getting the very same
    winXPSP2 error message: "card not formatted". Different trials formatting
    the SD card in the camera / under windoze / using FAT / using FAT32 did not
    help.

    Other cards, however (e.g. an identical Sandisk Ultra with picturs of my
    small Casio RV52, 1-4GB Sandisk Extreme CF's from my Olympus EVOLT-500
    etc.pp.) are processed by the same card reader without any problem!

    For different reasons, we got a new camera now - a Panasonic Lumix
    DMC-FZ8-EG. And to (probably) avoid the a.m. problems, I ordered an original
    Panasonic SD card along with the camera (2GB, RP-SDV02GE1A, no HD/HC!).
    And - what shall I say: Same §$&§$ again... "... not formatted".

    The folks at Panasonic's support hotline "cannot comprehend the problem".

    I'm just curious as to why this should happen with two different of their
    cameras, using two different types & brands of SD cards. Maybe anything
    wrong on the computer end / windows?

    Any ideas or hints or similar experiences??
    Thanks a lot in advance!! :)

    cheers,
    Markus
    Markus Grein, Nov 11, 2007

  2. Markus Grein

    Brandon J Guest

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:12:39 +0100, "Markus Grein" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >I'm stuck with a weird problem
    >
    >Until recently we've used a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1-EG - nice camera, does
    >nice pictures, but one problem became obvious right from the beginning: For
    >whatever reason I could not download pictures from the card (Sandisk Ultra
    >II 512MB) with my card reader (Belkin). I kept getting the very same
    >winXPSP2 error message: "card not formatted". Different trials formatting
    >the SD card in the camera / under windoze / using FAT / using FAT32 did not
    >help.
    >
    >Other cards, however (e.g. an identical Sandisk Ultra with picturs of my
    >small Casio RV52, 1-4GB Sandisk Extreme CF's from my Olympus EVOLT-500
    >etc.pp.) are processed by the same card reader without any problem!
    >
    >For different reasons, we got a new camera now - a Panasonic Lumix
    >DMC-FZ8-EG. And to (probably) avoid the a.m. problems, I ordered an original
    >Panasonic SD card along with the camera (2GB, RP-SDV02GE1A, no HD/HC!).
    >And - what shall I say: Same §$&§$ again... "... not formatted".
    >
    >The folks at Panasonic's support hotline "cannot comprehend the problem".
    >
    >I'm just curious as to why this should happen with two different of their
    >cameras, using two different types & brands of SD cards. Maybe anything
    >wrong on the computer end / windows?
    >
    >Any ideas or hints or similar experiences??
    >Thanks a lot in advance!! :)
    >
    >cheers,
    >Markus

    Not all card readers work with all cards. I bought a cheapie $16 no-name
    21-in-One special from Wally World last year and it works just fine on all my
    cards. Though I've not tried it on SDHC cards over 4GB yet.

    Time and time again I am proven how little that name-brand and price means that
    you that get what you pay for. In these days it mostly means that you're just
    getting taken for a fool.
    Brandon J, Nov 11, 2007

  3. In article <47364854$0$13113$-online.net>,
    "Markus Grein" <> wrote:

    > The folks at Panasonic's support hotline "cannot comprehend the problem".

    What is the hotline number?

    --
    John Rethorst
    jrethorst at post dot com
    John Rethorst, Nov 11, 2007
  4. Markus Grein

    Bob Williams Guest

    Markus Grein wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm stuck with a weird problem
    >
    > Until recently we've used a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1-EG - nice camera, does
    > nice pictures, but one problem became obvious right from the beginning: For
    > whatever reason I could not download pictures from the card (Sandisk Ultra
    > II 512MB) with my card reader (Belkin). I kept getting the very same
    > winXPSP2 error message: "card not formatted". Different trials formatting
    > the SD card in the camera / under windoze / using FAT / using FAT32 did not
    > help.
    >
    > Other cards, however (e.g. an identical Sandisk Ultra with picturs of my
    > small Casio RV52, 1-4GB Sandisk Extreme CF's from my Olympus EVOLT-500
    > etc.pp.) are processed by the same card reader without any problem!
    >
    > For different reasons, we got a new camera now - a Panasonic Lumix
    > DMC-FZ8-EG. And to (probably) avoid the a.m. problems, I ordered an original
    > Panasonic SD card along with the camera (2GB, RP-SDV02GE1A, no HD/HC!).
    > And - what shall I say: Same §$&§$ again... "... not formatted".
    >
    > The folks at Panasonic's support hotline "cannot comprehend the problem".
    >
    > I'm just curious as to why this should happen with two different of their
    > cameras, using two different types & brands of SD cards. Maybe anything
    > wrong on the computer end / windows?
    >
    > Any ideas or hints or similar experiences??
    > Thanks a lot in advance!! :)
    >
    > cheers,
    > Markus

    More than likely, the problem is with your card reader.
    Try your card on another computer with a modern card reader.
    If it works, you should get a new card reader. Newegg has them for a
    pittance.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Nov 11, 2007
  5. Markus Grein

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:12:39 +0100, Markus Grein wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm stuck with a weird problem
    >
    > Until recently we've used a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1-EG - nice camera, does
    > nice pictures, but one problem became obvious right from the beginning: For
    > whatever reason I could not download pictures from the card (Sandisk Ultra
    > II 512MB) with my card reader (Belkin). I kept getting the very same
    > winXPSP2 error message: "card not formatted". Different trials formatting
    > the SD card in the camera / under windoze / using FAT / using FAT32 did not
    > help.
    >
    > Other cards, however (e.g. an identical Sandisk Ultra with picturs of my
    > small Casio RV52, 1-4GB Sandisk Extreme CF's from my Olympus EVOLT-500
    > etc.pp.) are processed by the same card reader without any problem!
    >
    > For different reasons, we got a new camera now - a Panasonic Lumix
    > DMC-FZ8-EG. And to (probably) avoid the a.m. problems, I ordered an original
    > Panasonic SD card along with the camera (2GB, RP-SDV02GE1A, no HD/HC!).
    > And - what shall I say: Same §$&§$ again... "... not formatted".
    >
    > The folks at Panasonic's support hotline "cannot comprehend the problem".
    >
    > I'm just curious as to why this should happen with two different of their
    > cameras, using two different types & brands of SD cards. Maybe anything
    > wrong on the computer end / windows?
    >
    > Any ideas or hints or similar experiences??
    > Thanks a lot in advance!! :)
    >
    > cheers,
    > Markus

    Don't discount the idea of a defective reader. The only problem I've ever
    had was with a multi card reader I got from crucial.com. I had used it for
    several years with CF and then got a camera which used SD - it would not
    read them. I contacted crucial and returned it for a new one (lifetime
    replacement) and it works fine with both.
    ray, Nov 11, 2007
  6. Markus Grein

    John Bean Guest

    <> wrote:
    >Any ideas or hints or similar experiences??

    Replace the reader.

    SD isn't like CF, there have been several changes to
    specification and no all readers can read all SD types and
    sizes.

    I suggest you buy something like a Sandisk Extreme reader
    which will not only read any current SD card of any size but
    is also one of the fastest on the market. It's not a "multi"
    card device, it has two slots and accepts only SD and CF
    cards.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Nov 11, 2007