    and wondering if he/she should have opt for the Fz50 instead.
    Thanks for info
    , May 20, 2007

  2. On May 21, 12:21 am, wrote:
    > I am curious to know if any of the readers here bought the Fz8
    > and wondering if he/she should have opt for the Fz50 instead.
    > Thanks for info

    I brushed both FZ30 and FZ7 aside, and got LX1. I was concerned with
    the pocketability of the camera in the first intance.
    carrera d'olbani, May 20, 2007

  3. Stan Beck Guest

    If the sensors are the same size (I'm certain that they are) the 7 megapixel
    will give overall better results than the 10 megapixel, which will have
    considerably more noise in the image, and will produce generally poorer
    results hat higher ISO settings. Since a 4" x 6" print only requires 2
    megapixels for a good print, the 7 megapixel is more than enough.

    --
    I really hate to eat on an empty stomach.

    Stan Beck > From New Orleans to Brandon MS
    To reply, remove 101 from address.
    ***

    Stan Beck, May 20, 2007
  4. Guest

    On May 20, 12:22 pm, "Stan Beck" <>
    wrote:
    > If the sensors are the same size (I'm certain that they are) the 7 megapixel
    > will give overall better results than the 10 megapixel, which will have
    > considerably more noise in the image, and will produce generally poorer
    > results hat higher ISO settings. Since a 4" x 6" print only requires 2
    > megapixels for a good print, the 7 megapixel is more than enough.
    >
    > --
    > I really hate to eat on an empty stomach.
    >
    > Stan Beck > From New Orleans to Brandon MS
    > To reply, remove 101 from address.
    > ***

    I forgot to mention another difference between the Fz8 and Fz50 -
    Fz50's sensor is larger than the Fz8's ( 1/1.8" vs 1/2.5")
    , May 21, 2007
  5. Jeff R. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I went to a photo shop and take a look at both cameras. I checked the
    > Lumix brochure, in which the two camera's features are compared side
    > by side. I seem to notice that there are generally very small
    > differences between the two cameras. FZ50 is approx. 50% more
    > expensive, larger size or bulkier,10 MP instead of 7 MP, almost double
    > in its weight, and has a hotshoe flash.
    > My question is whether it is worth to go to spend 50% more, if you
    > only want to need to take just regular good quality still photos.
    > Sample pictures comparing the two cameras seem to show just a tiny bit
    > better quality on the photos for Fz50. But it is so much bulkier and
    > heavier than the Fz8. However, I do like the feel on the Fz50 than the
    > Fz8. I am curious to know if any of the readers here bought the Fz8
    > and wondering if he/she should have opt for the Fz50 instead.
    > Thanks for info

    FWIW, I have an FZ30, and it is an unmitigated complete POS. I get much
    better results from my teeny little Nikon L3. I would pass (by a few miles)
    any large Panasonic.

    --
    Jeff R.
    (no kidding - its *horrible*)
    Jeff R., May 21, 2007
  6. Jeff R. wrote:
    []
    > FWIW, I have an FZ30, and it is an unmitigated complete POS. I get
    > much better results from my teeny little Nikon L3. I would pass (by
    > a few miles) any large Panasonic.

    The Leica optics used on Panasonic cameras should allow them to produce
    excellent results, bearing in mind the small sensor and therefore using
    ISO 100 or lower for best quality. Perhaps the automatic higher-ISO-boost
    is better turned off.

    David
    David J Taylor, May 21, 2007
  7. On Mon, 21 May 2007 18:05:10 +1000, "Jeff R." <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I went to a photo shop and take a look at both cameras. I checked the
    >> Lumix brochure, in which the two camera's features are compared side
    >> by side. I seem to notice that there are generally very small
    >> differences between the two cameras. FZ50 is approx. 50% more
    >> expensive, larger size or bulkier,10 MP instead of 7 MP, almost double
    >> in its weight, and has a hotshoe flash.
    >> My question is whether it is worth to go to spend 50% more, if you
    >> only want to need to take just regular good quality still photos.
    >> Sample pictures comparing the two cameras seem to show just a tiny bit
    >> better quality on the photos for Fz50. But it is so much bulkier and
    >> heavier than the Fz8. However, I do like the feel on the Fz50 than the
    >> Fz8. I am curious to know if any of the readers here bought the Fz8
    >> and wondering if he/she should have opt for the Fz50 instead.
    >> Thanks for info

    >FWIW, I have an FZ30, and it is an unmitigated complete POS. I get much
    >better results from my teeny little Nikon L3. I would pass (by a few miles)
    >any large Panasonic.

    Which just goes to prove: In talented hands nearly any camera can produce a fine
    work of art. A pinhole camera made from a cardboard-box, a bit of foil or tin
    snipped from a sardine-can, and some B&W sheet film can produce publishable
    works of art -- in the right hands.

    In common untalented hands even a good camera with Leica optics is a piece of
    crap.

    99.999% of the time the fault lies within, they just don't have the courage to
    find a mirror and come to that blatant conclusion.

    I think newer digital cameras should have a "Twit Detector" mode built in. Every
    time an idiot tries to use the camera it would announce: "Hey idiot! You don't
    have a clue how to take a decent photo, do you! Before you blame yet another
    decent camera for your lack of talent, be a good boy and hand me over to someone
    that knows how to do real photography. At least be smart enough to do that
    much."

    Then it would shut itself down and not be able to be turned on again until they
    gave up possession of it. If they can make autos with a breathalyzer built-in
    before you can start the engine, I think it only fair there should be something
    like that on all high-end cameras too. Think of how many people's eyesight would
    be saved from having to view their photographic eyesores at every turn. There
    should be a law against people who can't handle a camera properly. They are an
    affront to my right to find happiness. That alone is a huge crime of theirs.
    SelfImporantName, May 21, 2007
  8. Guest

    On May 21, 10:05 am, "Jeff R." <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I went to a photo shop and take a look at both cameras. I checked the
    > > Lumix brochure, in which the two camera's features are compared side
    > > by side. I seem to notice that there are generally very small
    > > differences between the two cameras.FZ50is approx. 50% more
    > > expensive, larger size or bulkier,10 MP instead of 7 MP, almost double
    > > in its weight, and has a hotshoe flash.
    > > My question is whether it is worth to go to spend 50% more, if you
    > > only want to need to take just regular good quality still photos.
    > > Sample pictures comparing the two cameras seem to show just a tiny bit
    > > better quality on the photos forFz50. But it is so much bulkier and
    > > heavier than theFz8. However, I do like the feel on theFz50than the
    > >Fz8. I am curious to know if any of the readers here bought theFz8
    > > and wondering if he/she should have opt for theFz50instead.
    > > Thanks for info

    > FWIW, I have an FZ30, and it is an unmitigated complete POS. I get much
    > better results from my teeny little Nikon L3. I would pass (by a few miles)
    > any large Panasonic.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff R.
    > (no kidding - its *horrible*)

    I strongly dissagree. I owned an FZ30 for a while before moving to a
    dSLR. I found it a great camera to use - easily the best P&S I've
    owned - and got some nice shots with it. It's got a decent lens and
    good controls that give quick access to most settings. The only major
    gripe I had with it is the high level of noise from the sensor (or
    associated major artifacts from the Noise reduction in the camera).
    However this does not normally affect standard prints really - it's of
    most concern when trying to shoot in low light (which is this camera
    is very bad at) or when printing at large sizes. This camera (and the
    FZ50) offers a lot of great features (including v good optical IS/VR),
    and a build standard higher than many entry level dSLRs - calling it a
    POS is just OTT. What were your specific problems with it? (I assume
    it was noise/noise reduction related).

    , May 21, 2007
  9. Stan Beck Guest

    I think you will find this interesting reading:

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/compactcamerahighiso/

    Stan Beck, May 21, 2007
  10. Stan Beck Guest

    I have a Panasonic FZ10, and it's a great little camera, for it's class, and
    was better than most of the comparable cameras of that time. But I can't
    really compare it to my Nikon D200. Naturally, my D200 photos are better.

    Stan Beck, May 21, 2007
  11. In message <465152b6$0$610$>, Jeff R.
    <> writes

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I went to a photo shop and take a look at both cameras. I checked the
    >> Lumix brochure, in which the two camera's features are compared side
    >> by side. I seem to notice that there are generally very small
    >> differences between the two cameras. FZ50 is approx. 50% more
    >> expensive, larger size or bulkier,10 MP instead of 7 MP, almost double
    >> in its weight, and has a hotshoe flash.
    >> My question is whether it is worth to go to spend 50% more, if you
    >> only want to need to take just regular good quality still photos.
    >> Sample pictures comparing the two cameras seem to show just a tiny bit
    >> better quality on the photos for Fz50. But it is so much bulkier and
    >> heavier than the Fz8. However, I do like the feel on the Fz50 than the
    >> Fz8. I am curious to know if any of the readers here bought the Fz8
    >> and wondering if he/she should have opt for the Fz50 instead.
    >> Thanks for info

    >FWIW, I have an FZ30, and it is an unmitigated complete POS. I get much
    >better results from my teeny little Nikon L3. I would pass (by a few miles)
    >any large Panasonic.
    >
    >--
    >Jeff R.
    >(no kidding - its *horrible*)

    I have to differ here. The only two complaints I have with my FZ30 is
    that the zoom ought to equate to a 28-300mm rather than the 35-420mm
    that it is. It would be useful to have more wide-angle capability, as
    the extreme telephoto length never gets used. The other problem is a
    tendency to purple-fringing on some high-contrast parts of a picture.
    Overall, it's still among the best prosumer wide-range zoom cameras.
    --
    Chris Morriss
    Chris Morriss, May 21, 2007
  12. Paul Allen Guest

    On 20 May 2007 08:21:56 -0700
    wrote:

    > I went to a photo shop and take a look at both cameras. I checked the
    > Lumix brochure, in which the two camera's features are compared side
    > by side. I seem to notice that there are generally very small
    > differences between the two cameras. FZ50 is approx. 50% more
    > expensive, larger size or bulkier,10 MP instead of 7 MP, almost double
    > in its weight, and has a hotshoe flash.
    > My question is whether it is worth to go to spend 50% more, if you
    > only want to need to take just regular good quality still photos.
    > Sample pictures comparing the two cameras seem to show just a tiny bit
    > better quality on the photos for Fz50. But it is so much bulkier and
    > heavier than the Fz8. However, I do like the feel on the Fz50 than the
    > Fz8. I am curious to know if any of the readers here bought the Fz8
    > and wondering if he/she should have opt for the Fz50 instead.

    You apparently missed most of the differences between the two cameras.
    The larger FZ50 has more room for external controls like a real
    mechanically-linked zoom ring and a focus-by-wire ring on the lens,
    an external switch to control the focus mode, dials for adjusting
    aperture and shutter in manual modes, and probably several more.
    The cost for the extra features is more bulk and dollars. You get
    to choose.

    Note that both of the cameras you're looking at have small sensors
    that will suffer in low light and have lots of noise at high ISO
    settings. I bought an FZ30 a year ago when the choice was against
    the FZ7 (or was it the FZ6?). Other than wishing Panasonic hadn't
    pushed it all the way to 8MP, I'm fairly happy with the camera.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, May 22, 2007
  13. observed
    >I went to a photo shop and take a look at both cameras. I checked the
    >Lumix brochure, in which the two camera's features are compared side
    >by side. I seem to notice that there are generally very small
    >differences between the two cameras. FZ50 is approx. 50% more
    >expensive, larger size or bulkier,10 MP instead of 7 MP, almost double
    >in its weight, and has a hotshoe flash.
    >My question is whether it is worth to go to spend 50% more, if you
    >only want to need to take just regular good quality still photos.
    >Sample pictures comparing the two cameras seem to show just a tiny bit
    >better quality on the photos for Fz50. But it is so much bulkier and
    >heavier than the Fz8. However, I do like the feel on the Fz50 than the
    >Fz8. I am curious to know if any of the readers here bought the Fz8
    >and wondering if he/she should have opt for the Fz50 instead.

    I've had an FZ3, an FZ5 and now an FZ50.

    The lens on each is brilliant throughout the zoom range.

    I've been happy with the FZ5, but wanted manual focus, direct zoom,
    external flash shoe. I understand the FZ8 has included two of these
    options. It is happy (with post processing) to produce A3+ photos.

    However the FZ50 is stunning (although I sent the first one back because
    it emitted a low whine when on), and I am delighted. But compared with
    the FZ5, it IS heavy. I'm keeping the FZ5 for backpacking and long
    walks.

    But in film cameras I lugged a huge number of (fixed) lenses around and
    never had the right lens on the camera or had left it behind to save
    weight. So I am not going to SLR now.

    From what you describe, I'd recommend the FZ8 - if you don't know why
    the FZ50 is better for you, buy the FZ8!

    HIH

    Mike

    --
    Michael J Davis

    Now with added pictures on http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

    <><
    Even Photographic newsgroups sometimes lose perspective.
    <><
    Michael J Davis, May 24, 2007