Panasonic Lumix FZ18

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by aniramca@gmail.com, Sep 13, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I was about to grab a new FZ18 today. Unfortunately, they run out a
    new one in the box and have to wait for a few days (they do not want
    to sell the display one for a discount :( ) So, I still have some time
    to "chicken out", if I want to. I like the 18x zoom feature, and
    previously thinking about getting the Olympus SP-550, which is now on
    sale because the new model will come out soon (SP560). I think FZ18 is
    good for me, as I do not want to have the hassle to get
    interchangeable lenses (although eventually, I will perhaps be moving
    to a DSLR --- seriously thinking about the new LC10 or D80). But it
    will not happen for another year!.
    I am not extremely happy with the G7, and wonder if this camera has a
    better fit for me (colour richness and clarity/sharpness of photo).
    Mind you, that had been handling an RB67 and M645, I still miss those
    sharp pictures. Unfortunately, can't afford for a new digital medium
    camera now.
    Going back to FZ18, does anyone tried and how did they find about this
    new camera? Any problems with the camera, as it is a relatively new
    one (came out in about a month ago?) It is smaller than the FZ 50,
    but bigger than FZ8. Unfortunately, they still using the small P&S
    size sensor.
    I have only one question for those who owns one already. The Lumix
    website in Australia indicates that it has the Automatic Exposure
    Bracket (AEB) feature. However, as I was trying and testing the
    camera, I don't seem to be able to find out about this feature. Could
    anyone confirm whether such a feature is available in FZ18. Another
    website which discusses about HDR and AEB shows a list of cameras with
    AEB features, and FZ18 is one of them (as well as FZ50).
    Last question is about a comparison with its larger sibling FZ50. FZ50
    has larger MP, swivel screen and has a hotshoe. It has an awesome lens
    too. However, is quality much better than the FZ18?
    Thanks for info.
    , Sep 13, 2007

  2. ray Guest

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:29:12 -0700, aniramca wrote:

    > I was about to grab a new FZ18 today. Unfortunately, they run out a
    > new one in the box and have to wait for a few days (they do not want
    > to sell the display one for a discount :( ) So, I still have some time
    > to "chicken out", if I want to. I like the 18x zoom feature, and
    > previously thinking about getting the Olympus SP-550, which is now on
    > sale because the new model will come out soon (SP560). I think FZ18 is
    > good for me, as I do not want to have the hassle to get
    > interchangeable lenses (although eventually, I will perhaps be moving
    > to a DSLR --- seriously thinking about the new LC10 or D80). But it
    > will not happen for another year!.
    > I am not extremely happy with the G7, and wonder if this camera has a
    > better fit for me (colour richness and clarity/sharpness of photo).
    > Mind you, that had been handling an RB67 and M645, I still miss those
    > sharp pictures. Unfortunately, can't afford for a new digital medium
    > camera now.
    > Going back to FZ18, does anyone tried and how did they find about this
    > new camera? Any problems with the camera, as it is a relatively new
    > one (came out in about a month ago?) It is smaller than the FZ 50,
    > but bigger than FZ8. Unfortunately, they still using the small P&S
    > size sensor.
    > I have only one question for those who owns one already. The Lumix
    > website in Australia indicates that it has the Automatic Exposure
    > Bracket (AEB) feature. However, as I was trying and testing the
    > camera, I don't seem to be able to find out about this feature. Could
    > anyone confirm whether such a feature is available in FZ18. Another
    > website which discusses about HDR and AEB shows a list of cameras with
    > AEB features, and FZ18 is one of them (as well as FZ50).
    > Last question is about a comparison with its larger sibling FZ50. FZ50
    > has larger MP, swivel screen and has a hotshoe. It has an awesome lens
    > too. However, is quality much better than the FZ18?
    > Thanks for info.

    Have you tried the corporate web site for a manual? FWIW - a prime
    consideration for me on an EVF camera is the resolution of the EVF - I
    can't stand the 110k pixel versions. What's the resolution here, or does
    it matter to you. I chose a Kodak P850 on the strength of the 220k pixel
    EVF and the feature set.
    ray, Sep 13, 2007

  3. Fco Guest

    Finally I´ve decided for the FZ18.

    I hope I will receive it in a couple of days and let you know about its
    performance.

    Regards,

    Fco, Sep 13, 2007
  4. observed
    >I was about to grab a new FZ18 today. Unfortunately, they run out a
    >new one in the box and have to wait for a few days (they do not want
    >to sell the display one for a discount :( ) So, I still have some time
    >to "chicken out", if I want to. I like the 18x zoom feature, and
    >previously thinking about getting the Olympus SP-550, which is now on
    >sale because the new model will come out soon (SP560). I think FZ18 is
    >good for me, as I do not want to have the hassle to get
    >interchangeable lenses (although eventually, I will perhaps be moving
    >to a DSLR --- seriously thinking about the new LC10 or D80). But it
    >will not happen for another year!.
    >I am not extremely happy with the G7, and wonder if this camera has a
    >better fit for me (colour richness and clarity/sharpness of photo).
    >Mind you, that had been handling an RB67 and M645, I still miss those
    >sharp pictures. Unfortunately, can't afford for a new digital medium
    >camera now.
    >Going back to FZ18, does anyone tried and how did they find about this
    >new camera? Any problems with the camera, as it is a relatively new
    >one (came out in about a month ago?) It is smaller than the FZ 50,
    >but bigger than FZ8. Unfortunately, they still using the small P&S
    >size sensor.
    >I have only one question for those who owns one already. The Lumix
    >website in Australia indicates that it has the Automatic Exposure
    >Bracket (AEB) feature. However, as I was trying and testing the
    >camera, I don't seem to be able to find out about this feature. Could
    >anyone confirm whether such a feature is available in FZ18. Another
    >website which discusses about HDR and AEB shows a list of cameras with
    >AEB features, and FZ18 is one of them (as well as FZ50).
    >Last question is about a comparison with its larger sibling FZ50. FZ50
    >has larger MP, swivel screen and has a hotshoe. It has an awesome lens
    >too. However, is quality much better than the FZ18?
    >Thanks for info.

    There's been a lot of discussion about these points in the Panasonic
    forum...

    FWIW I have both the FZ5 and the FZ50 - both have bracketing, just press
    up on the control and set it to+/- 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV. I am certain the
    FZ18 would be the same.

    And I love the FZ50 - available at only £25 more than the new FZ18. But
    the FZ18 has the advantage of the 28mm equiv. (the upper end of the zoom
    is not significant).

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    <><
    Michael J Davis, Sep 13, 2007
  5. loony Guest

    > There's been a lot of discussion about these points in the Panasonic
    > forum...
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
    >
    > FWIW I have both the FZ5 and the FZ50 - both have bracketing, just press
    > up on the control and set it to+/- 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV. I am certain the
    > FZ18 would be the same.

    > Mike
    >
    > [The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting]
    > --
    > Michael J Davis
    > <><
    > Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    > the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

    Even my Lumix TZ3 has the auto bracketing feature so it's not only on
    the more SLR-like cameras. On the TZ3 you press up arrow and you can
    select the feature from the screen there as Michael says, you can
    chose how wide you want to set the bracketing difference. A very
    useful feature if in difficult light settings.
    loony, Sep 13, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Sep 13, 6:54 am, loony <> wrote:
    > > There's been a lot of discussion about these points in the Panasonic
    > > forum...

    > >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033

    > > FWIW I have both the FZ5 and the FZ50 - both have bracketing, just press
    > > up on the control and set it to+/- 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV. I am certain the
    > > FZ18 would be the same.
    > > Mike

    > > [The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting]
    > > --
    > > Michael J Davis
    > > <><
    > > Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    > > the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

    > Even my Lumix TZ3 has the auto bracketing feature so it's not only on
    > the more SLR-like cameras. On the TZ3 you press up arrow and you can
    > select the feature from the screen there as Michael says, you can
    > chose how wide you want to set the bracketing difference. A very
    > useful feature if in difficult light settings.

    Perhaps this may be the common problem for FZ8, FZ18 and FZ50. Is
    there any concern to turn on the camera when the lens cap is on? On
    the FZ 18, there is a beep sound and a message to open the lens cap
    and press one of the button to start. However, I notice that when you
    turn the camera on, the tip of the lens should come out beyond the
    edge of the lens. Therefore, there is some kind of force that was
    stopped by the lens cap. Is this a concern or causing some stress to
    the motor of the lens? It is just a force of habit that I seem to
    keep to forget to keep the lens cover out first before turning on the
    camera.
    Is this said anywhere in the manual?
    Thanks for info.
    , Sep 16, 2007
  7. observed

    >Perhaps this may be the common problem for FZ8, FZ18 and FZ50. Is
    >there any concern to turn on the camera when the lens cap is on?

    Doesn't apply to FZ50 as the lens doesn't extend.

    >On
    >the FZ 18, there is a beep sound and a message to open the lens cap
    >and press one of the button to start. However, I notice that when you
    >turn the camera on, the tip of the lens should come out beyond the
    >edge of the lens. Therefore, there is some kind of force that was
    >stopped by the lens cap. Is this a concern or causing some stress to
    >the motor of the lens?

    Yes, I should imagine that long term damage could result if it is done
    *every* time. It would be better to avoid it if possible.

    But clearly the mere fact there is a message indicates that the camera
    designers were aware of the 'danger' and have prepared for it.

    >It is just a force of habit that I seem to
    >keep to forget to keep the lens cover out first before turning on the
    >camera.
    >Is this said anywhere in the manual?

    Not in my FZ5, but neither does it tell me in the manual that there is a
    message saying that the dial is in the wrong position, but it still
    tells me!

    >Thanks for info.

    You are welcome!

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Michael J Davis, Sep 16, 2007
  8. Fco Guest

    I have the same concern.

    I will recomend to avod switching off befor removing the cap.

    Fco, Sep 18, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Sep 18, 1:55 am, "Fco" <> wrote:
    > I have the same concern.
    >
    > I will recomend to avod switching off befor removing the cap.
    >
    > "Michael J Davis" <?> escribió en el mensajenews:...
    >
    > > observed

    > >>Perhaps this may be the common problem for FZ8, FZ18 and FZ50. Is
    > >>there any concern to turn on the camera when the lens cap is on?

    > > Doesn't apply to FZ50 as the lens doesn't extend.

    > >>On
    > >>the FZ 18, there is a beep sound and a message to open the lens cap
    > >>and press one of the button to start. However, I notice that when you
    > >>turn the camera on, the tip of the lens should come out beyond the
    > >>edge of the lens. Therefore, there is some kind of force that was
    > >>stopped by the lens cap. Is this a concern or causing some stress to
    > >>the motor of the lens?

    > > Yes, I should imagine that long term damage could result if it is done
    > > *every* time. It would be better to avoid it if possible.

    > > But clearly the mere fact there is a message indicates that the camera
    > > designers were aware of the 'danger' and have prepared for it.

    > >>It is just a force of habit that I seem to
    > >>keep to forget to keep the lens cover out first before turning on the
    > >>camera.
    > >>Is this said anywhere in the manual?

    > > Not in my FZ5, but neither does it tell me in the manual that there is a
    > > message saying that the dial is in the wrong position, but it still tells
    > > me!

    > >>Thanks for info.

    > > You are welcome!

    > > Mike

    > > [The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting]
    > > --
    > > Michael J Davis
    > > <><
    > > Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    > > the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    > > <><

    Went to the bush and took over 1000 shots. It performed well. I still
    need to get used to take off the lens cover before turning on the
    camera. The camera is light, and it does look rather "cheap" in
    comparison to a steel body (like the G7). I wonder whether its bigger
    "sibling" - the FZ50, has the stronger built body. However, it is just
    the look and perhaps I am so used to heavier and steel feels to
    appreciate the ruggedness of a camera. The bottom line, it worked well
    despite of the rain, fog mist, and lots of shaking. Here's are some of
    the photos
    http://picasaweb.google.com/aniramca/Northern_Manitoba_CA
    Regards
    , Sep 23, 2007
  10. observed

    >Went to the bush and took over 1000 shots. It performed well. I still
    >need to get used to take off the lens cover before turning on the
    >camera. The camera is light, and it does look rather "cheap" in
    >comparison to a steel body (like the G7). I wonder whether its bigger
    >"sibling" - the FZ50, has the stronger built body. However, it is just
    >the look and perhaps I am so used to heavier and steel feels to
    >appreciate the ruggedness of a camera. The bottom line, it worked well
    >despite of the rain, fog mist, and lots of shaking. Here's are some of
    >the photos
    >http://picasaweb.google.com/aniramca/Northern_Manitoba_CA

    They look pretty good to me. Congratulations!

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Michael J Davis, Sep 23, 2007
  11. bitwisebob Guest

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 06:04:43 -0700, wrote:

    >The camera is light, and it does look rather "cheap" in
    >comparison to a steel body (like the G7)

    your photos aren't light weight, nice work
    good to see we don't need a huge dslr to take good shots

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon
    bitwisebob, Sep 23, 2007
  12. Paco Guest

    I´ve been trying Photomatix but I cannot get good results. Always obtain
    somthing like looks overexposed. However the image quality get worst.

    Paco, Sep 25, 2007
  13. Guest

    (bitwisebob) wrote:

    " Your photos aren't light weight, nice work.

    Good to see we don't need a huge dslr to
    take good shots "

    Don't tell the DSLR crowd that. :-O
    , Sep 25, 2007