    Has anyone used this camera and can offer comments, either good or bad?

    TIA
    Andy

    Andy K, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Andy K

    Paul Bech Guest

    If only it was at least 3 meg! Try the Olympus C740 or better yet the C750

    Andy K <> wrote in message
    > I have read about the Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ1camera and have been
    > impressed by its features.
    > I particularly like the 12x zoom.
    > Has anyone used this camera and can offer comments, either good or bad?
    >
    > TIA
    > Andy

    ---

    Paul Bech, Aug 20, 2003

  3. "Andy K" <> wrote:

    >I have read about the Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ1camera and have been
    >impressed by its features.
    >I particularly like the 12x zoom.
    >Has anyone used this camera and can offer comments, either good or bad?

    Andy,

    very good for me, please have a look at
    http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/ for sample photos.

    Main shortcomings are only 2 Megapixels and poor or no
    performance (no autofocus - no pictures) in low light. But the
    performance/price ratio is still unbeatable if you need the long
    zoom and the image stabilizer.

    I still like this camera a lot and have not seen anything better
    for my purposes, particularly not at the price.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 20, 2003
  4. "Paul Bech" <> wrote:

    >If only it was at least 3 meg! Try the Olympus C740 or better yet the C750

    Paul,

    no image stabilizer. Without that thing, you won't even be able
    to shoot a sharp 2 Megapixel photo in many circumstances, let
    alone 3 MP.

    But if you want to walk around carrying a tripod ...

    By the way, does the Olympus C750 have a filter screw thread?
    The FZ1 does (55 mm).

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 20, 2003
  5. "Andy K" <> wrote in message
    > I have read about the Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ1camera and have been
    > impressed by its features.
    > I particularly like the 12x zoom.
    > Has anyone used this camera and can offer comments, either good or bad?

    You're behind the times: there's already an FZ2 out<g>. (It only differs in
    that it has shutter and aperture priority modes, and fine adjustment of the
    white balance. Dunno if it's been announced outside Japan.)

    I didn't like the mechanical feel of the FZ1; it's very light and feels
    rather plasticy. The tele end of the zoom is _really_ long, and the image
    jumps all over the place as you try to frame a shot. I don't think image
    stabilization is enough to make that long a lens hand holdable. My opinion.
    YMMV. And (assuming the IS works) a lightweight tripod would be all you'd
    need, I think.

    But it's definitely an interesting camera.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 20, 2003
  6. "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:

    >And (assuming the IS works) a lightweight tripod would be all you'd
    >need, I think.

    David,

    I can assure you that it works. However, it is not enough to
    take photos at max zoom from the free hand. You have to lean the
    camera against something or at least yourself.

    I always carry a small bean bag with the camera for this
    purpose.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 20, 2003
  7. In rec.photo.digital Andy K <> wrote:
    > I have read about the Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ1camera and have been
    > impressed by its features.
    > I particularly like the 12x zoom.
    > Has anyone used this camera and can offer comments, either good or bad?

    I am very happy with my FZ1 but I have only had it for a couple of weeks.
    The image stabilizer helps me a lot and the IS feature is the main reason
    that I got the FZ1. Yes, I wish it was more than 2mp but that is good
    emough to get 1600x1200 background pics since I use that resolution as my
    windows desktop.

    I also have a Casio EX-Z3 as my carry anywhere camera. Since it is 3mp,
    the Z3 will be my main wide shot camera. I have also bought a monopod for
    those times that I'll need a more steady shot.

    Later,
    Steven

    Steven Whatley, Aug 21, 2003
  8. Amazing camera for the price.

    It takes practice to get consistently sharp shots at the long end of the
    zoom range, the shots almost always need colour balancing later and the
    flash is awful but...... it will take hand held shots that no other camera
    in the same price range can take.

    2 Mpixels is enough to print to A4 size, which is ample for most people.

    These 4 were all taken hand held, 3 at the long zoom position, the one in
    the
    pub at the wide angle end, 1/8 sec exposure.

    They have been resized to 800x600 but the files are still a bit big.

    http://members.optusnet.com.au/mkilpatrick/index.htm

    Michael

    Michael Kilpatrick, Aug 21, 2003
  9. Andy K

    Guest Guest

    I love this camera, it's soooo much fun! We're going to Cape Cod next month
    and I'll be trying it out on a whale watch cruise, hoping to get some really
    nice shots using burst mode.

    Here's a small album of pics I took the first few days I had the camera (all
    photos taken handheld, no tripod):
    http://www.joannesplace.com/albums/fz1/index.html

    Guest, Aug 22, 2003
  10. Andy K

    Tesselator Guest

    "Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Paul Bech" <> wrote:
    >
    > >If only it was at least 3 meg! Try the Olympus C740 or better yet the C750

    > Paul,
    >
    > no image stabilizer. Without that thing, you won't even be able
    > to shoot a sharp 2 Megapixel photo in many circumstances, let
    > alone 3 MP.
    >
    > But if you want to walk around carrying a tripod ...
    >
    > By the way, does the Olympus C750 have a filter screw thread?
    > The FZ1 does (55 mm).

    Yes the C750 can accept filters. I know of very few
    digital cameras worth having that can't take filters
    in one way or another.

    :p

    Tesselator, Aug 22, 2003
  11. Andy K

    Tesselator Guest

    "Andy K" <> wrote in message news:bhvgcj$250e$...
    > I have read about the Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ1camera and have been
    > impressed by its features.
    > I particularly like the 12x zoom.
    > Has anyone used this camera and can offer comments, either good or bad?

    Read this that I have pasted from another message for you here:

    Try to stay away from the Japanese and Korean Electronic "junk"
    manufacturers if at all possible and go with a maker that has
    produced a line of 35mm SLR cameras in the past. The reasons
    for this are GENERAL QUALITY and SUPPORT. (Notice how one begats
    the other.)

    1) Companies like Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Lecia,
    Contax, Pentax, Fuji, (Kodak?, Polaroid?) offer products
    of excellent to good quality manufactur and staff an
    excellent to good support team with customer friendly
    policies.

    2) Companies like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Casio, Toshiba,
    Fujitsu, Epson, Kyocera, Ricoh, and Sharp, usually
    offer products engineered to fail rapidly (ie. fair
    to poor quality) and thier support teams /almost/ always
    follow a policy set up under the theme: The Company
    Must Always Profit -- Customer Satisfaction comes second!

    This is not really just opinion as I got to work with alot
    companies from both groups inside various sections as an
    independant contractor not all that long ago. IMO, the only
    reason you would buy a digital (snap) camera from group 2)
    is if you were a Japanese Nationalist _and_ didn't care that
    much about quality or product life cycles. This defines
    the majority of Japanese citizens btw.

    Tesselator, Aug 22, 2003
  12. "Tesselator" <> writes:

    > Read this that I have pasted from another message for you here:

    > Try to stay away from the Japanese and Korean Electronic "junk"
    > manufacturers if at all possible and go with a maker that has
    > produced a line of 35mm SLR cameras in the past. The reasons
    > for this are GENERAL QUALITY and SUPPORT. (Notice how one begats
    > the other.)
    >
    > 1) Companies like Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Lecia,

    what is Lecia?

    > Contax, Pentax, Fuji, (Kodak?, Polaroid?) offer products
    > of excellent to good quality manufactur and staff an
    > excellent to good support team with customer friendly
    > policies.
    >

    > 2) Companies like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Casio, Toshiba,
    > Fujitsu, Epson, Kyocera, Ricoh, and Sharp, usually
    > offer products engineered to fail rapidly (ie. fair
    > to poor quality) and thier support teams /almost/ always
    > follow a policy set up under the theme: The Company

    LOL. Contax is made by Kyocera. Ricoh was making 35mm SLR cameras in the
    past. Do I need to say more?

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Aug 22, 2003
  13. "Tesselator" <> wrote:

    > 2) Companies like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Casio, Toshiba,
    > Fujitsu, Epson, Kyocera, Ricoh, and Sharp, usually
    > offer products engineered to fail rapidly (ie. fair
    > to poor quality) and thier support teams /almost/ always
    > follow a policy set up under the theme: The Company
    > Must Always Profit -- Customer Satisfaction comes second!

    That's a general problem these days. I never thought I would buy
    a product from Panasonic, for this reason.

    But then the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 costs about a third of
    comparable cameras and is still better because of its long zoom
    and image stabilizer, so I had no choice. And so far it is
    holding out rather well, travelled with me through gruesome
    conditions in east Africa, being subjected to the shaking,
    jolting jeep, to heat, dust and my relentless use, and it's
    still working. (See http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/ for some
    photos.) If it keeps working for one or two more years it has
    already earned its living, because then I'll buy a new one
    anyway.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 23, 2003
  14. Andy K

    Tesselator Guest

    > (See http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/ for some photos.)

    Wow!!!! Awesome site content dude!

    My Mom lives in Transval (Near Sugunda) and that make me wanna
    go and visit... Killer-Diller!

    Tesselator, Aug 23, 2003
  15. "Tesselator" <> wrote:

    >> (See http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/ for some photos.)

    >Wow!!!! Awesome site content dude!
    >
    >My Mom lives in Transval (Near Sugunda) and that make me wanna
    >go and visit... Killer-Diller!

    Don't tell me you have somebody in Africa you could visit and
    haven't done it! :)

    Could be the experience of a lifetime.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 23, 2003
  16. Andy K

    Paul Guest

    On 23-Aug-2003, "Tesselator" <> wrote:

    > You're right about Ricoh but again thier SLR equipment is
    > a completely different production network than anything
    > digital bearing thier name.

    I have had a Ricoh Caplio G3 S (magnesium body) for 3 months now and it is a
    superb camera. Has worked flawlessly and faultlessly. I am more than happy
    with it.

    Regards,
    Paul P.

    Paul, Aug 25, 2003
  17. "Tesselator" <> writes:
    > "Dragan Cvetkovic" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > "Tesselator" <> writes:
    > >
    > > > 1) Companies like Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Lecia,

    > > what is Lecia?
    > >

    > You seriously want to offer an opinion on camera manufacturers
    > without even knowing who Leica is? Really.... ( :-O

    Hey, I know who Leica is. I don't know who Lecia is.

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Aug 25, 2003
  18. Andy K

    Tesselator Guest

    "Dragan Cvetkovic" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Tesselator" <> writes:

    > > > what is Lecia?
    > > >

    > > You seriously want to offer an opinion on camera manufacturers
    > > without even knowing who Leica is? Really.... ( :-O
    > >

    > Hey, I know who Leica is. I don't know who Lecia is.
    >
    > Bye, Dragan

    Oh, you're a spelling dragon... err, dragan...

    O :)

    Tesselator, Aug 25, 2003
  19. Andy K

    Tesselator Guest

    > > You're right about Ricoh but again thier SLR equipment is
    > > a completely different production network than anything
    > > digital bearing thier name.

    > I have had a Ricoh Caplio G3 S (magnesium body) for 3 months now and it is a
    > superb camera. Has worked flawlessly and faultlessly. I am more than happy
    > with it.

    Cool!

    There are exceptions to everything. Still, I could be wrong
    about Ricoh in general. If they are doing the "right thing"
    these days with thier digitals then that's good for us as
    consumers aye?!!?

    Besides, mainly I wanted to name Sony, Samsung, Panasonic,
    Casio, Toshiba, and Fujitsu in contrast with Nikon, Olympus,
    Canon, Minolta, and /now/ Kodak. As those are the companies
    I /actually/ know about. And it would seem from the feedback
    I've been getting privatly that this word has been out on the
    street for quite some time.

    Public awareness is a good thing!

    O :)

    Tesselator, Aug 25, 2003