    what I have seen so far in terms of pic samples looks good, but would like
    to hear more from "real" users...

    Thanks much,
    errepi, Apr 14, 2004

  2. errepi

    vishi anand Guest

    I don't have fz-10 but I am very happy with older fz-1 model which is
    only 2mp. Lens is really good. Using a tcon-17 teleconverter, I am bale
    to get good bird shots. Check out

    vishi

    vishi anand, Apr 14, 2004

  3. errepi

    Harlen Ng Guest

    Ritz/Wolf Camera let me try the demo unit overnight before I bought one.

    It's my 2nd dcamera and I like it very much. Zoom + OIS is great.

    -Harlen

    Harlen Ng, Apr 15, 2004
  4. errepi

    Mike Tuthill Guest

    In article <IThfc.8408$>,
    says...
    > Hi, any feedback on this camera?
    >
    > I'm going to purchase one.. it's my first digital camera... I need a good
    > optical zoom and image quality...
    > what I have seen so far in terms of pic samples looks good, but would like
    > to hear more from "real" users...
    >
    > Thanks much,

    I have one and I'd buy it again.

    Check the user reviews on www.dpreview.com for lots of thoughts on this
    camera.
    Mike Tuthill, Apr 15, 2004
  5. "errepi" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, any feedback on this camera?

    Good choice. Minor negative is that is uses SD rather than compact flash.
    Slightly more annoying is the lack of an AF assist beam. It doesn't look
    like the optional external flash, the DMW-FL28, provides this either (no
    real spec is available on Panasonic's web site).

    Still, for $550, nothing else comes close in terms of the zoom range and the
    image stabilization. Closest competitor looks to be the Canon S1 IS, which
    does have the AF assist beam, but lacks a hot shoe. Both are recommended on
    the Digital Camera Short List at http://nordicgroup.us/digicam/.

    It's a real gap in Canon's line, that they have nothing between the S1 IS
    and the Pro 1.

    Steve
    Digital Camera Academician, Digital Camera Short List
    http://nordicgroup.us/digicam/
    Steven M. Scharf, Apr 15, 2004
  6. errepi

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <N%wfc.11545$>,
    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote:

    > "errepi" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, any feedback on this camera?

    > Good choice. Minor negative is that is uses SD rather than compact flash.
    > Slightly more annoying is the lack of an AF assist beam. It doesn't look
    > like the optional external flash, the DMW-FL28, provides this either (no
    > real spec is available on Panasonic's web site).
    >
    > Still, for $550, nothing else comes close in terms of the zoom range and the
    > image stabilization. Closest competitor looks to be the Canon S1 IS, which
    > does have the AF assist beam, but lacks a hot shoe. Both are recommended on
    > the Digital Camera Short List at http://nordicgroup.us/digicam/.
    >
    > It's a real gap in Canon's line, that they have nothing between the S1 IS
    > and the Pro 1.
    >
    > Steve
    > Digital Camera Academician, Digital Camera Short List
    > http://nordicgroup.us/digicam/

    BTW, if this camera has the same 69mm filter thread as the Leica version
    Heliopan is now supplying 69mm UV, ND and slim circular polarizers in
    standard and SH-PMC versions.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Apr 15, 2004
  7. errepi

    Basiltoo Guest

    "errepi" <> wrote in news:IThfc.8408$eR5.390
    @tornado.fastwebnet.it:

    > Hi, any feedback on this camera?
    > I'm going to purchase one.. it's my first digital camera... I need
    >a good optical zoom and image quality...

    Suggest you go over to DPReview and read the Panasonic forum. There seems
    to be a quality control problem and there have been a lot of returns.

    Purple fringing is a bit more obvious than one would like at the higher
    zoom settings.

    --
    Regards,
    Baz

    http://www.trevellan.co.uk
    Basiltoo, Apr 15, 2004
  8. "Basiltoo" <> wrote in message

    > Suggest you go over to DPReview and read the Panasonic forum. There seems
    > to be a quality control problem and there have been a lot of returns.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
    >
    > Purple fringing is a bit more obvious than one would like at the higher
    > zoom settings.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Baz
    >
    > http://www.trevellan.co.uk

    Checked out the forum (thanks for the link). From just reading some of the
    posts it does not seem like there is a huge quality control issue. As for
    me, I've had my FZ-10 for about a month and am very impressed. I have taken
    pictures at 12x zoom without a tripod and with the image stabilization, they
    are very sharp. I personally prefer the proprietary battery as it lasts a
    long time. This is my first digital camera so I can't compare it to other
    similar cameras.

    I'd go out right now and take some shots but it has been snowing here for
    the last 2 days.

    Steven
    Steven Tomsic, Apr 15, 2004
  9. errepi

    Vic Dura Guest

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:51:28 GMT, RE: Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10
    "Steven Tomsic" <> wrote:

    > I personally prefer the proprietary battery as it lasts a
    >long time.

    About 4 years from now when that battery dies, if you can't get a
    replacement you will probably find it *very* annoying.

    --
    To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.
    Vic Dura, Apr 16, 2004
  10. Hi Vic,

    I am not sure about there being battery problems for the future as
    Panasonic/Sony/Canon all use the same types in quite a few of there
    camcorders as well, (ie. Canon use the BP-511/512 with the G1/2/3/5;
    D30/60/10D; and MV-300-650) and if its a succesful model, independents make
    suitable ones as well for lower costs (apart from Sony who allow no one to
    do so).

    If you look at old VHSC/8mm/Hi-8mm camcorders, you can still get Ni-Cad
    batttery's for these models.

    Cheers,
    Stephen

    Stephen Leslie, Apr 16, 2004
  11. "Vic Dura" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:51:28 GMT, RE: Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10
    > "Steven Tomsic" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I personally prefer the proprietary battery as it lasts a
    > >long time.

    > About 4 years from now when that battery dies, if you can't get a
    > replacement you will probably find it *very* annoying.

    I find it more annoying to be constantly recharging my Nimh batteries and
    misplacing them. I'll take the chance that in four years I can still find a
    replacement battery.
    Steven Tomsic, Apr 16, 2004
  12. "Vic Dura" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:51:28 GMT, RE: Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10
    > "Steven Tomsic" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I personally prefer the proprietary battery as it lasts a
    > >long time.

    > About 4 years from now when that battery dies, if you can't get a
    > replacement you will probably find it *very* annoying.

    Not sure about Panasonic, but with Canon, they only have a few different
    batteries for all their cameras and camcorders. These will be available for
    years, if not decades. There are film cameras that had so-called
    non-proprietary batteries that are no longer available, but after 25 years
    or so.

    The tremendous advantages of Li-Ion are worth the possibility that in 2025 I
    may not be able to buy a replacement battery.
    Steven M. Scharf, Apr 17, 2004
  13. errepi

    Vic Dura Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:50:34 +0100, RE: Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10
    "Stephen Leslie" <> wrote:

    >I am not sure about there being battery problems for the future as
    >Panasonic/Sony/Canon all use the same types in quite a few of there
    >camcorders as well, (ie. Canon use the BP-511/512 with the G1/2/3/5;
    >D30/60/10D; and MV-300-650) and if its a succesful model, independents make
    >suitable ones as well for lower costs (apart from Sony who allow no one to
    >do so).

    Well, that's encouraging. The more devices that use the battery, the
    less like it is to become extinct.

    --
    To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.
    Vic Dura, Apr 17, 2004