    would like to hear them.

    Thanks,

    Norman

    Norman, Sep 28, 2003

  2. "Norman" <> wrote:

    >I am looking at buying a PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FZ1 digital camera.
    >
    >Anyone had anything to do with this camera or have any good/bad comments,
    >would like to hear them.

    Norman,

    I have one, have used it in Africa with good success (see
    examples on http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/) and am still
    enthusiastic about this camera.

    It does have a few shortcomings. The most obvious is that it has
    only 2 Megapixels. I can live with that. I don't go for large
    prints.

    Another is that it can hardly be used in low light conditions
    like at night or in a dark, unlit room, because the autofocus
    then doesn't work and the camera doesn't have any autofocus
    assist light. The built-in flash is therefore not of much use.
    Its range is very limited, and when it's really dark and you
    really need it, the autofocus doesn't work and you don't see
    anything on the electronic viewfinder either.

    But if these limitations don't repel you, go for it. It's a
    wonderful camera, particularly at its incredibly low price.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Norman

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    > "Norman" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I am looking at buying a PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FZ1 digital camera.
    > >
    > >Anyone had anything to do with this camera or have any good/bad comments,
    > >would like to hear them.

    > Norman,
    >
    > I have one, have used it in Africa with good success (see
    > examples on http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/) and am still
    > enthusiastic about this camera.
    >
    > It does have a few shortcomings. The most obvious is that it has
    > only 2 Megapixels. I can live with that. I don't go for large
    > prints.
    >
    > Another is that it can hardly be used in low light conditions
    > like at night or in a dark, unlit room, because the autofocus
    > then doesn't work and the camera doesn't have any autofocus
    > assist light. The built-in flash is therefore not of much use.
    > Its range is very limited, and when it's really dark and you
    > really need it, the autofocus doesn't work and you don't see
    > anything on the electronic viewfinder either.
    >
    > But if these limitations don't repel you, go for it. It's a
    > wonderful camera, particularly at its incredibly low price.

    After quite a lot of research I've decided that there's no *ideal*
    camera for me, so I'm going to do what was suggested in another
    thread where the FZ1 was mentioned - buy two cameras.

    I'm planning on waiting until the FZ2 is available (in the UK).
    Slightly better facilities than the FZ1 at a similar price.
    IIRC - Aperture and shutter priority modes now included. If you
    don't need these you may be able to do a good deal on the FZ1 as
    I presume it will be discontinued now the FZ2 is out.

    Norman - have a read at the owners comments on
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=panasonic_dmcfz1

    My other camera will be... well I'm not sure yet but the Canon 10D
    is at the top of the list at the moment.

    Barry

    --
    Women like silent men, they think they're listening.

    Barry Smith, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Barry Smith <> wrote:

    >I'm planning on waiting until the FZ2 is available (in the UK).
    >Slightly better facilities than the FZ1 at a similar price.
    >IIRC - Aperture and shutter priority modes now included. If you
    >don't need these you may be able to do a good deal on the FZ1 as
    >I presume it will be discontinued now the FZ2 is out.

    Barry,

    good idea. I don't think I need shutter or aperture priority, so
    I might as well keep my FZ1. But let's see what else the new
    version brings.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Sep 30, 2003
  5. Norman

    John Bean Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:54:21 +0100, Barry Smith
    <> wrote:
    >I'm planning on waiting until the FZ2 is available (in the UK).

    It's available now.

    >Slightly better facilities than the FZ1 at a similar price.
    >IIRC - Aperture and shutter priority modes now included. If you
    >don't need these you may be able to do a good deal on the FZ1 as
    >I presume it will be discontinued now the FZ2 is out.

    It is already discontinued.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean

    John Bean, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Norman

    Ben T. Cohen Guest

    "Norman" <> wrote in message news:<bl66oa$12q3$>...
    > I am looking at buying a PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FZ1 digital camera.
    >
    > Anyone had anything to do with this camera or have any good/bad comments,
    > would like to hear them.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Norman

    Lots of bad to say! First of all, your are talking about a 2 megapixel
    camera. That will not even get you 300 PPI for 4X6 prints. Second, the
    sensor is too small. Third, all of the reviews say it is a fun camera
    but consider it a toy. I hate trendy assholes like you who are only
    interested in long zooms to replace your small penis.

    Ben T. Cohen, Oct 1, 2003
  7. Norman

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    John Bean <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:54:21 +0100, Barry Smith
    > <> wrote:
    > >I'm planning on waiting until the FZ2 is available (in the UK).

    > It's available now.

    Hi John. Are you in the UK ? (Not Waterfoot near Rossendale by any chance?)

    Have you any recommendations about dealers ? bestcameras.co.uk
    are advertising the FZ2 at 299.99 ukp with case and extra 64Mb card,
    free delivery and free 2 year guaranteee. Sounds a great price.

    > >Slightly better facilities than the FZ1 at a similar price.
    > >IIRC - Aperture and shutter priority modes now included. If you
    > >don't need these you may be able to do a good deal on the FZ1 as
    > >I presume it will be discontinued now the FZ2 is out.

    > It is already discontinued.

    OK

    Barry
    --
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

    Barry Smith, Oct 1, 2003
  8. (Ben T. Cohen) wrote:

    >"Norman" <> wrote in message news:<bl66oa$12q3$>...

    >> I am looking at buying a PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FZ1 digital camera.
    >>
    >> Anyone had anything to do with this camera or have any good/bad comments,
    >> would like to hear them.

    >Lots of bad to say! First of all, your are talking about a 2 megapixel
    >camera. That will not even get you 300 PPI for 4X6 prints. Second, the
    >sensor is too small. Third, all of the reviews say it is a fun camera
    >but consider it a toy. I hate trendy assholes like you who are only
    >interested in long zooms to replace your small penis.

    Too nice if somebody disqualifies himself so obviously. Makes it
    easy to judge the content of the message. :)

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 1, 2003
  9. Norman

    John Bean Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 04:31:37 +0100, Barry Smith
    <> wrote:

    >In message <>
    > John Bean <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:54:21 +0100, Barry Smith
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >I'm planning on waiting until the FZ2 is available (in the UK).

    >> It's available now.

    >Hi John. Are you in the UK ? (Not Waterfoot near Rossendale by any chance?)

    Indeed.

    >Have you any recommendations about dealers ? bestcameras.co.uk
    >are advertising the FZ2 at 299.99 ukp with case and extra 64Mb card,
    >free delivery and free 2 year guaranteee. Sounds a great price.

    The very same. They had them in stock at the beginning of last week,
    and they even have a real shop in St Helens that you can visit if you
    want.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean

    John Bean, Oct 1, 2003
  10. Norman

    KIPAX Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:45:10 +0100, John Bean <>
    wrote:

    >>Hi John. Are you in the UK ? (Not Waterfoot near Rossendale by any chance?)

    >Indeed.

    Hmmm Accrington here :)

    >>Have you any recommendations about dealers ? bestcameras.co.uk
    >>are advertising the FZ2 at 299.99 ukp with case and extra 64Mb card,
    >>free delivery and free 2 year guaranteee. Sounds a great price.

    It is. I went to St Helens last week to there shop as soon as there
    website showed stock arrived. I got there and they had just sold the
    last one. They took my phone number and rang me when new stock
    arrived. that was yesterday (Tuesday 30th Sep) between times I had
    already decided to go for a dimage 7hi as jessops sell them used (1 yr
    guarantee) for 599 quid

    The fz2 is only available in silver. according to panasonic no UK
    company should be selling black. the st helens shop said thats correct
    silver only.. So i pointed out there website was missleading as there
    advertising fz2b instead of fz2s

    --
    KIPAX (www.kipax.com)

    KIPAX, Oct 1, 2003
  11. Norman

    John Bean Guest

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 19:07:13 +0000 (UTC), KIPAX <> wrote:
    >Hmmm Accrington here :)

    Never mind ;-)

    >>>Have you any recommendations about dealers ? bestcameras.co.uk
    >>>are advertising the FZ2 at 299.99 ukp with case and extra 64Mb card,
    >>>free delivery and free 2 year guaranteee. Sounds a great price.

    >It is. I went to St Helens last week to there shop as soon as there
    >website showed stock arrived. I got there and they had just sold the
    >last one. They took my phone number and rang me when new stock
    >arrived. that was yesterday (Tuesday 30th Sep) between times I had
    >already decided to go for a dimage 7hi as jessops sell them used (1 yr
    >guarantee) for 599 quid

    Yes, I had a similar experience. By the time they phoned me I had
    already bought a Sony V1. The lens on the FZ1/2 is *very* tempting,
    but 2.1M pixels takes the edge off it. The V1 is a pretty impressive
    little camera, easy to carry in a jacket pocket when I don't want to
    carry an SLR.

    >The fz2 is only available in silver. according to panasonic no UK
    >company should be selling black. the st helens shop said thats correct
    >silver only.. So i pointed out there website was missleading as there
    >advertising fz2b instead of fz2s

    They seemed to think that black was an option when I asked, but silver
    is the only colour on offer it seems.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean

    John Bean, Oct 1, 2003
  12. Norman

    NJ Guest

    Norman wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    > I am looking at buying a PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FZ1 digital camera.
    >
    > Anyone had anything to do with this camera or have any good/bad comments,
    > would like to hear them.

    Read the following article from The Washington Post:

    http://tinyurl.com/pcbh

    NJ, Oct 1, 2003
  13. Norman

    KIPAX Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 20:48:21 +0100, John Bean <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 19:07:13 +0000 (UTC), KIPAX <> wrote:
    >>Hmmm Accrington here :)

    >Never mind ;-)

    ooer :)

    >Yes, I had a similar experience. By the time they phoned me I had
    >already bought a Sony V1. The lens on the FZ1/2 is *very* tempting,
    >but 2.1M pixels takes the edge off it. The V1 is a pretty impressive

    yeagh my existing camera is 2.1 M ..its an Oly c2100 uz and the fz2 is
    simmilar.. My camera has had nigly problms of late and I want to get
    it refurbished or summat. I thought maybe a second camera while this
    goes away for 6 weeks.

    since decided I may as well pay the extra and get more pixels. I need
    a reasonable zoom and other options for what i do.. you can see from
    my wqebsite its just about all sport. so a 7hi was chosen :)

    do you know of anywhere that do camera repairs in house, i think just
    a tidy up and a good internal cleaning wil do the trick but cant find
    anyone anywhere in the country let alone lans.

    >They seemed to think that black was an option when I asked, but silver
    >is the only colour on offer it seems.

    for a camera shop they wernt very up on whats what.

    --
    KIPAX (www.kipax.com)

    KIPAX, Oct 1, 2003
  14. Norman

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    KIPAX <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:45:10 +0100, John Bean <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >>Hi John. Are you in the UK ? (Not Waterfoot near Rossendale by any chance?)

    > >Indeed.

    > Hmmm Accrington here :)

    Darwen here. What a small world when you're on the internet !

    > >>Have you any recommendations about dealers ? bestcameras.co.uk
    > >>are advertising the FZ2 at 299.99 ukp with case and extra 64Mb card,
    > >>free delivery and free 2 year guaranteee. Sounds a great price.

    > It is. I went to St Helens last week to there shop as soon as there
    > website showed stock arrived. I got there and they had just sold the
    > last one. They took my phone number and rang me when new stock
    > arrived. that was yesterday (Tuesday 30th Sep) between times I had
    > already decided to go for a dimage 7hi as jessops sell them used (1 yr
    > guarantee) for 599 quid
    >
    > The fz2 is only available in silver. according to panasonic no UK
    > company should be selling black. the st helens shop said thats correct
    > silver only.. So i pointed out there website was missleading as there
    > advertising fz2b instead of fz2s

    Very useful info. Thanks. I think the black looks smarter but I wonder
    how long it would be before it started to look faded/scratched.

    My Canon AE1, which I used quite a lot, and never in its case, still
    looked almost new after 20 years of (very reliable) use.

    Barry

    Barry Smith, Oct 2, 2003
  15. Norman

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    John Bean <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 04:31:37 +0100, Barry Smith
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In message <>
    > > John Bean <> wrote:

    > >> It's available now.

    > >Hi John. Are you in the UK ? (Not Waterfoot near Rossendale by any chance?)

    > Indeed.

    Ah well. I guess someone has to live there :)

    > >Have you any recommendations about dealers ? bestcameras.co.uk
    > >are advertising the FZ2 at 299.99 ukp with case and extra 64Mb card,
    > >free delivery and free 2 year guaranteee. Sounds a great price.

    > The very same. They had them in stock at the beginning of last week,
    > and they even have a real shop in St Helens that you can visit if you
    > want.

    Excellent. I much prefer a real shop but was hoping to get a good
    price at the same time. I'll be paying them a visit.

    Barry
    --
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

    Barry Smith, Oct 2, 2003
  16. Norman

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <Xns9407A1F9AD3A1ontherhodehotmailcom@199.171.54.213>
    NJ <> wrote:

    > Norman wrote in rec.photo.digital:
    >
    > > I am looking at buying a PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FZ1 digital camera.
    > >
    > > Anyone had anything to do with this camera or have any good/bad comments,
    > > would like to hear them.
    > >

    > Read the following article from The Washington Post:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/pcbh

    Thanks. That's definitely made my mind up. An FZ2 for me please :)

    Barry
    --
    It's hard to make a program foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

    Barry Smith, Oct 2, 2003
  17. Norman

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    > > (Ben T. Cohen) wrote:

    snip

    snip
    > > small penis.

    > Too nice if somebody disqualifies himself so obviously. Makes it
    > easy to judge the content of the message. :)

    He obviously has a small penis, or is one :)

    Barry
    --
    Success is a journey, not a destination.

    Barry Smith, Oct 2, 2003
  18. Norman

    KIPAX Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 02:11:02 +0100, Barry Smith
    <> wrote:

    >Very useful info. Thanks. I think the black looks smarter but I wonder
    >how long it would be before it started to look faded/scratched.

    Black looks more professional and even in a recent review of a camera
    the writer stated "Now in professional black". At a recent event I
    was given a press pass and mixed with all the so called professional
    camera men who all had black cameras.. I was the only one with a small
    silver digital (Oly c2100 uz) and not only did I feel out of place I
    got some funny looks as well.. the " what's he doing here" looks and I
    am guessing a black camera wouldn't have got me those looks.

    Its stupid isn't it. But i bet others have come across the same
    thing.. It just looks like a real camera if its black.. Stupid,
    illogical i know.. But that's how its perceived wouldn't you agree.

    Yet i read the sun newspaper report of the event n question and the
    pictures used where very poor with terrible contrast problems... while
    mine the same shots had no such problems :)

    --
    KIPAX (www.kipax.com)

    KIPAX, Oct 2, 2003
  19. Norman

    KIPAX Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 02:11:02 +0100, Barry Smith

    Well I wouldnt bother with the FZ2.

    The FZ10 has just been announced.. 4MP and x12 optical zoom blah blah

    --
    KIPAX (www.kipax.com)

    KIPAX, Oct 2, 2003
  20. KIPAX <> wrote:

    >Black looks more professional and even in a recent review of a camera
    >the writer stated "Now in professional black".

    I always prefer black for the simple reason that it is not as
    conspicuous as something glittering.

    Maybe that's the underlying reason why professional cameras are
    black.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.