    Check out the preview on DP Review's site; Panny's G1 is the first EVIL cam
    to be introduced, and according to the preview, it has a much better EVF
    than we've seen (until now). Looks promising.
    Böwser, Sep 12, 2008

  2. Böwser

    Guest

    On Sep 12, 9:12 am, Böwser <0m> wrote:
    > Check out the preview on DP Review's site; Panny's G1 is the first EVIL cam
    > to be introduced, and according to the preview, it has a much better EVF
    > than we've seen (until now). Looks promising.

    Well... this is an interesting news. Thanks for the info.

    I checked the size of G1 is 124mmx84mmx45mm. This is smaller than
    Nikon D40 (which is considered to be small) at 124mmx94mmx64mm.

    Perhaps when Olympus introduces their first DSLR with micro 4/3, it
    will be much smaller than the Panasonic.
    I cannot wait to feel the camera in hand. Will the price be
    competitive?

    Will image quality be better than high end P&S cameras (Canon G7,
    etc)?
    , Sep 12, 2008

  3. Böwser

    measekite Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:00:16 -0700, aniramca wrote:

    > On Sep 12, 9:12 am, Böwser <0m> wrote:
    >> Check out the preview on DP Review's site; Panny's G1 is the first EVIL cam
    >> to be introduced, and according to the preview, it has a much better EVF
    >> than we've seen (until now). Looks promising.

    > Well... this is an interesting news. Thanks for the info.
    >
    > I checked the size of G1 is 124mmx84mmx45mm. This is smaller than
    > Nikon D40 (which is considered to be small) at 124mmx94mmx64mm.
    >
    > Perhaps when Olympus introduces their first DSLR with micro 4/3, it
    > will be much smaller than the Panasonic.
    > I cannot wait to feel the camera in hand. Will the price be
    > competitive?
    >
    > Will image quality be better than high end P&S cameras (Canon G7,
    > etc)?

    I think that will depend on the sensor size which transcends to pixel size
    when comparing same mp cameras.
    measekite, Sep 12, 2008
  4. Böwser

    Guest

    On Sep 12, 5:18 pm, measekite <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:00:16 -0700, aniramca wrote:
    > > On Sep 12, 9:12 am, Böwser <0m> wrote:
    > >> Check out the preview on DP Review's site; Panny's G1 is the first EVIL cam
    > >> to be introduced, and according to the preview, it has a much better EVF
    > >> than we've seen (until now). Looks promising.

    > > Well... this is an interesting news. Thanks for the info.

    > > I checked the size of G1 is 124mmx84mmx45mm. This is smaller than
    > > Nikon D40 (which is considered to be small) at 124mmx94mmx64mm.

    > > Perhaps when Olympus introduces their first DSLR with micro 4/3, it
    > > will be much smaller than the Panasonic.
    > > I cannot wait to feel the camera in hand. Will the price be
    > > competitive?

    > > Will image quality be better than high end P&S cameras (Canon G7,
    > > etc)?

    > I think that will depend on the sensor size which transcends to pixel size
    > when comparing same mp cameras.

    It will be 13MP camera.
    With 4/3 system sensor- 18x13.5mm or 2.43 cm2 sensor, equivalent to
    4MP/cm2 - almost 6x larger sensor than Canon G9, and approx. 3/4
    smaller than regular APS-C sensor

    As comparison,
    New Canon 50D - APS-C sensor 22.3x14.9mm or 3.32 cm2, equivalent to
    4.5 MP/cm2
    New Nikon D700 - Full size 36x24mm or 8.64 cm2, equivalent to 1.4 MP/
    cm2
    Canon G9 - 7.6x5.7mm or 0.43 cm2, equivalent to 28 MP/cm2

    I wonder whether Panasonic will carry both lines (old L lines for 4/3
    and new G line for the micro 4/3), or whether they will abandon the
    4/3 system right away.
    I would love to see the images created by this camera. With the
    Olympus single focal length pancake lens, it will be nice and handy
    for my pocket.
    Will the price be over $1000? Perhaps I have to wait for the Olympus
    version, which will be cheaper.
    , Sep 13, 2008
  5. Böwser

    Guest

    On Sep 12, 6:18 pm, wrote:
    > On Sep 12, 5:18 pm, measekite <> wrote:

    > > > Well... this is an interesting news. Thanks for the info.

    > > > I checked the size of G1 is 124mmx84mmx45mm. This is smaller than
    > > > Nikon D40 (which is considered to be small) at 124mmx94mmx64mm.

    > > > Perhaps when Olympus introduces their first DSLR with micro 4/3, it
    > > > will be much smaller than the Panasonic.
    > > > I cannot wait to feel the camera in hand. Will the price be
    > > > competitive?

    > > > Will image quality be better than high end P&S cameras (Canon G7,
    > > > etc)?

    > > I think that will depend on the sensor size which transcends to pixel size
    > > when comparing same mp cameras.

    > It will be 13MP camera.
    > With 4/3 system sensor- 18x13.5mm or 2.43 cm2 sensor, equivalent to
    > 4MP/cm2 - almost 6x larger sensor than Canon G9, and approx. 3/4
    > smaller than regular APS-C sensor
    >
    > As comparison,
    > New Canon 50D - APS-C sensor 22.3x14.9mm or 3.32 cm2, equivalent to
    > 4.5 MP/cm2
    > New Nikon D700 - Full size 36x24mm or 8.64 cm2, equivalent to 1.4 MP/
    > cm2
    > Canon G9 - 7.6x5.7mm or 0.43 cm2, equivalent to 28 MP/cm2
    >
    > I wonder whether Panasonic will carry both lines (old L lines for 4/3
    > and new G line for the micro 4/3), or whether they will abandon the
    > 4/3 system right away.
    > I would love to see the images created by this camera. With the
    > Olympus single focal length pancake lens, it will be nice and handy
    > for my pocket.
    > Will the price be over $1000?  Perhaps I have to wait for the Olympus
    > version, which will be cheaper.

    It is approximately $800 with 14-45mm lens
    It weighs only 385 g (no lens) Canon G9 is about 370g, and Canon 50D
    is about 800 g
    Some articles indicated as 12 MP instead of 13 MP camera.
    , Sep 13, 2008
  6. Böwser

    Guest

    On Sep 12, 6:28 pm, wrote:
    > On Sep 12, 6:18 pm, wrote:

    > > > I think that will depend on the sensor size which transcends to pixel size
    > > > when comparing same mp cameras.

    > > It will be 13MP camera.
    > > With 4/3 system sensor- 18x13.5mm or 2.43 cm2 sensor, equivalent to
    > > 4MP/cm2 - almost 6x larger sensor than Canon G9, and approx. 3/4
    > > smaller than regular APS-C sensor

    > > As comparison,
    > > New Canon 50D - APS-C sensor 22.3x14.9mm or 3.32 cm2, equivalent to
    > > 4.5 MP/cm2
    > > New Nikon D700 - Full size 36x24mm or 8.64 cm2, equivalent to 1.4 MP/
    > > cm2
    > > Canon G9 - 7.6x5.7mm or 0.43 cm2, equivalent to 28 MP/cm2

    > > I wonder whether Panasonic will carry both lines (old L lines for 4/3
    > > and new G line for the micro 4/3), or whether they will abandon the
    > > 4/3 system right away.
    > > I would love to see the images created by this camera. With the
    > > Olympus single focal length pancake lens, it will be nice and handy
    > > for my pocket.
    > > Will the price be over $1000?  Perhaps I have to wait for the Olympus
    > > version, which will be cheaper.

    > It is approximately $800 with 14-45mm lens
    > It weighs only 385 g (no lens)   Canon G9 is about 370g, and Canon 50D
    > is about 800 g
    > Some articles indicated as 12 MP instead of 13 MP camera.

    First 4 photos taken using G1 can be seen at
    http://panasonic.jp/dc/gallery/g1.html
    They were all taken at ISO100.. and they look excellent
    , Sep 13, 2008
  7. Böwser

    Böwser Guest

    "measekite" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:00:16 -0700, aniramca wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 12, 9:12 am, Böwser <0m> wrote:
    >>> Check out the preview on DP Review's site; Panny's G1 is the first EVIL
    >>> cam
    >>> to be introduced, and according to the preview, it has a much better EVF
    >>> than we've seen (until now). Looks promising.

    >> Well... this is an interesting news. Thanks for the info.
    >>
    >> I checked the size of G1 is 124mmx84mmx45mm. This is smaller than
    >> Nikon D40 (which is considered to be small) at 124mmx94mmx64mm.
    >>
    >> Perhaps when Olympus introduces their first DSLR with micro 4/3, it
    >> will be much smaller than the Panasonic.
    >> I cannot wait to feel the camera in hand. Will the price be
    >> competitive?
    >>
    >> Will image quality be better than high end P&S cameras (Canon G7,
    >> etc)?

    > I think that will depend on the sensor size which transcends to pixel size
    > when comparing same mp cameras.

    It's a 4/3 sensor, which is significantly larger than any P&S camera, save
    for the Sigma DP1. I expect image quality should at least equal, or exceed
    other 4/3 cameras, like the Oly 520 or Panasonic L10. Compared to the small
    sensor cameras, like the G9, it should offer quite the improvement. If this
    camera is as good as it looks, the G9 will find it's way to ebay.
    Böwser, Sep 13, 2008
  8. Böwser

    dj_nme Guest

    Böwser wrote:

    > "measekite" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well... this is an interesting news. Thanks for the info.
    >>>
    >>> I checked the size of G1 is 124mmx84mmx45mm. This is smaller than
    >>> Nikon D40 (which is considered to be small) at 124mmx94mmx64mm.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps when Olympus introduces their first DSLR with micro 4/3, it
    >>> will be much smaller than the Panasonic.
    >>> I cannot wait to feel the camera in hand. Will the price be
    >>> competitive?
    >>>
    >>> Will image quality be better than high end P&S cameras (Canon G7,
    >>> etc)?

    >> I think that will depend on the sensor size which transcends to pixel
    >> size
    >> when comparing same mp cameras.

    > It's a 4/3 sensor, which is significantly larger than any P&S camera,
    > save for the Sigma DP1. I expect image quality should at least equal, or
    > exceed other 4/3 cameras, like the Oly 520 or Panasonic L10. Compared to
    > the small sensor cameras, like the G9, it should offer quite the
    > improvement. If this camera is as good as it looks, the G9 will find
    > it's way to ebay.

    The Panasonic G1 does have a FourThirds (18mm x 13.5mm) sized sensor, so
    the image quality should be on par with other FourThirds cameras.
    I hope that it's contrast detection AF system is fast and accurate with
    a variety of lenses and that the shot-to-shot time is quick.
    But, until a full review has been carried out by the dpreview.com team,
    most of what we're discussing is pure speculation.
    Not that it isn't fun to speculate. :)
    dj_nme, Sep 13, 2008
  9. Böwser

    measekite Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 01:58:44 +1000, dj_nme wrote:

    > Böwser wrote:
    >>
    >> "measekite" <> wrote in message

    >>> I think that will depend on the sensor size which transcends to pixel
    >>> size
    >>> when comparing same mp cameras.

    >> It's a 4/3 sensor, which is significantly larger than any P&S camera,
    >> save for the Sigma DP1. I expect image quality should at least equal, or
    >> exceed other 4/3 cameras, like the Oly 520 or Panasonic L10. Compared to
    >> the small sensor cameras, like the G9, it should offer quite the
    >> improvement. If this camera is as good as it looks, the G9 will find
    >> it's way to ebay.

    > The Panasonic G1 does have a FourThirds (18mm x 13.5mm) sized sensor, so
    > the image quality should be on par with other FourThirds cameras.
    > I hope that it's contrast detection AF system is fast and accurate with
    > a variety of lenses and that the shot-to-shot time is quick.
    > But, until a full review has been carried out by the dpreview.com team,
    > most of what we're discussing is pure speculation.
    > Not that it isn't fun to speculate. :)

    So how does that compare to image results from cameras With an APC sensor
    like the Canon 450D?
    measekite, Sep 13, 2008
  10. Böwser

    Guest

    On Sep 13, 12:22 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <48cbe339$0$31977$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    > 01.iinet.net.au>, dj_nme says...
    >
    > > But, until a full review has been carried out by the dpreview.com team,

    > or by some other reviewer.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    I am taking photos for fun, i.e not professional. From my perspective,
    I think that this micro 4/3 may be my next and first digital SLR. I
    tried other brand name digital cameras (Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Samsung,
    Sony), but somehow I always ended up liking the rich colour and
    sharpness of Lumix cameras. I never own a DSLR though. Small cameras
    fit better in my hand, and it is much lighter. It is also unlikely
    that I ever exchange the lens. So, my criteria for selecting the
    camera is for the sensor size, image quality, size and weight. I have
    been waiting for the technology to squeeze in an APS sensor or even a
    full size sensor in a Canon G7/G9 size digital camera, before this
    micro 4/3 system come out.
    After vieweing of the photo samples from the Panasonic's Japanese
    website (link shown in my previous discussion), I think I am sold! I
    have not seen any other websites or camera reviews with photo samples
    as yet. However, I will likely wait for longer period and see how this
    system is developed. Olympus will no doubt introduce the micro 4/3
    camera soon, and perhaps it will even be smaller?
    I read that the two lenses that were introduced with the camera were
    made by Panasonic (Vario brand), so this is not the Leica (Elmarit or
    Vario-Elamarit) brand. I assume Leica will produce the lenses in the
    near future, but it will likely be more expensive. Alternatively,
    Olympus' Zuiko lenses should also be available soon, when their Micro
    4/3 camera comes out. Perhaps someone can provide more info about the
    Vario and the Elmarit. Are the Lumix's Vario lenses a joint
    development between Panasonic/Matsushita and Leica?
    , Sep 13, 2008
  11. Böwser

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <48cbe339$0$31977$>, dj_nme
    <> wrote:

    > The Panasonic G1 does have a FourThirds (18mm x 13.5mm) sized sensor, so
    > the image quality should be on par with other FourThirds cameras.
    > I hope that it's contrast detection AF system is fast and accurate with
    > a variety of lenses and that the shot-to-shot time is quick.

    based on the sample video at dpreview, its contrast focus is rather
    fast.
    nospam, Sep 13, 2008
  12. Böwser

    Guest

    On Sep 13, 3:15 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <48cbe339$0$31977$>, dj_nme
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > The Panasonic G1 does have a FourThirds (18mm x 13.5mm) sized sensor, so
    > > the image quality should be on par with other FourThirds cameras.
    > > I hope that it's contrast detection AF system is fast and accurate with
    > > a variety of lenses and that the shot-to-shot time is quick.

    > based on the sample video at dpreview, its contrast focus is rather
    > fast.

    The first photo samples from Panasonic's Japanese website (in
    Japanese)
    http://panasonic.jp/dc/gallery/g1.html

    More photo samples from Panasonic website (2 portraiture photos)
    http://panasonic.net/pavc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gallery/g1.html
    , Sep 14, 2008
  13. Böwser

    dj_nme Guest

    measekite wrote:
    <snip>
    >> The Panasonic G1 does have a FourThirds (18mm x 13.5mm) sized sensor, so
    >> the image quality should be on par with other FourThirds cameras.
    >> I hope that it's contrast detection AF system is fast and accurate with
    >> a variety of lenses and that the shot-to-shot time is quick.
    >> But, until a full review has been carried out by the dpreview.com team,
    >> most of what we're discussing is pure speculation.
    >> Not that it isn't fun to speculate. :)

    > So how does that compare to image results from cameras With an APC sensor
    > like the Canon 450D?

    How should I know?
    There hasn't been an in-depth review done yet, which should have a
    comparison of output pictures and noise profiles.
    Nor any sample pictures available from the DMC G1 which could then be
    compared with pictures from the EOS 450D, yet.
    We will all just have to wait and see.
    dj_nme, Sep 14, 2008
  14. Böwser

    dj_nme Guest

    nospam wrote:
    > In article
    > <48cbe339$0$31977$>, dj_nme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> The Panasonic G1 does have a FourThirds (18mm x 13.5mm) sized sensor, so
    >> the image quality should be on par with other FourThirds cameras.
    >> I hope that it's contrast detection AF system is fast and accurate with
    >> a variety of lenses and that the shot-to-shot time is quick.

    > based on the sample video at dpreview, its contrast focus is rather
    > fast.

    That does look very promising, although it did seem to be done under
    relatively ideal conditions.
    I'm guessing that this would also be as fast with a similar f-stop and
    focus-motor design in the lens, other lenses in the FourThirds line-up
    may cause it to hunt under the same conditions.
    The split between the Olympus sensor shift versus OIS from Panasonic for
    for cancelling out camera-shake hopefully doesn't indicate further
    incompatibilities.
    Only time will tell.
    dj_nme, Sep 14, 2008
  15. Böwser

    james Guest

    "Böwser" <0m> wrote in message news:8Nuyk.3$pp3.0@trnddc06...
    > Check out the preview on DP Review's site; Panny's G1 is the first EVIL
    > cam to be introduced, and according to the preview, it has a much better
    > EVF than we've seen (until now). Looks promising.

    Would this type of camera (interchangeable lense, large sensor, no mirror)
    replace DSLR, or does DSLR still have some advantages?
    james, Sep 14, 2008
  16. Böwser

    Böwser Guest

    "measekite" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 01:58:44 +1000, dj_nme wrote:
    >
    >> Böwser wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "measekite" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's a 4/3 sensor, which is significantly larger than any P&S camera,
    >>> save for the Sigma DP1. I expect image quality should at least equal, or
    >>> exceed other 4/3 cameras, like the Oly 520 or Panasonic L10. Compared to
    >>> the small sensor cameras, like the G9, it should offer quite the
    >>> improvement. If this camera is as good as it looks, the G9 will find
    >>> it's way to ebay.

    >> The Panasonic G1 does have a FourThirds (18mm x 13.5mm) sized sensor, so
    >> the image quality should be on par with other FourThirds cameras.
    >> I hope that it's contrast detection AF system is fast and accurate with
    >> a variety of lenses and that the shot-to-shot time is quick.
    >> But, until a full review has been carried out by the dpreview.com team,
    >> most of what we're discussing is pure speculation.
    >> Not that it isn't fun to speculate. :)

    > So how does that compare to image results from cameras With an APC sensor
    > like the Canon 450D?

    Check DP Review for comparisons between any of the 4/3 SLRs and the Rebels,
    and you'll get an idea, but not a final answer since this is a new sensor.
    Böwser, Sep 14, 2008