Panasonic GH2 14-140mm discontinued??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jan 12, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jan 12, 2012

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >As a kit? Or the camera itself? Or not?
    >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._DMC_GH2H_K_Lumix_DMC_GH2_Digital_Camera.html

    There seem to be 14-140mm lenses available in Europe.

    The GH2 is soon to be replaced by, presumably, a GH3. GH2 production
    has probably ended already. Kits are still available with the 14-42mm
    lens (with or without the 45-200mm lens) but there are no new kits
    with the 14-140mm lens.

    Bruce, Jan 12, 2012

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Bruce <> wrote in
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>>As a kit? Or the camera itself? Or not?
    >>>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736362-REG/Panasonic_DMC_GH2H_K_L
    >>>umix_DMC_GH2_Digital_Camera.html

    >> There seem to be 14-140mm lenses available in Europe.
    >>
    >> The GH2 is soon to be replaced by, presumably, a GH3. GH2 production
    >> has probably ended already. Kits are still available with the 14-42mm
    >> lens (with or without the 45-200mm lens) but there are no new kits
    >> with the 14-140mm lens.

    >Darn! They had them on sale in Canada (the kits)last week for $1199.00.
    >I should have got one.

    I thought you already had one.

    B&H is selling the kit with the 14-42mm lens for $895, but no body
    only deals are available. B&H also has the 14-140mm lens for $649.

    Bruce, Jan 13, 2012
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Bruce <> wrote in
    >> I thought you already had one.
    >> B&H is selling the kit with the 14-42mm lens for $895, but no body
    >> only deals are available. B&H also has the 14-140mm lens for $649.
    >>

    >No, I'm still considering what to get.

    Funny, I was sure you said you had sold the D7000 and bought a GH2.

    >G3 because it's a reasonable step
    >up from the G1, the NEX-7 for its resolution and EVF or the GH2 because
    >I'm familiar with it and it held up well against my D7000. There are so
    >many variables for each it's a tough choice. The Samsung 20mp sensor
    >looks very good as well, but the camera it's attached to is not great.
    >They are supposed to release an G1-type body though.

    In your position, and at this time, I would probably want to wait for
    the GH3 then decide whether to buy that or the NEX-7. NEX-7 has 24 MP
    and the best EVF in the business, but a truly pathetic selection of
    lenses - what on earth are Sony thinking? GH3 will have a very good
    EVF and Panasonic has an excellent selection of lenses, with a little
    help from Olympus.

    On the other hand, the G3 is an excellent performer. Coming from the
    G1, you probably won't like the small grip, but I like it very much.
    My 'other' camera is now an M9, and that has no grip at all - unless
    you buy one as an accessory.

    Bruce, Jan 13, 2012
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 13, 4:32 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Rich <> wrote:
    > >Bruce <> wrote in
    > >> I thought you already had one.
    > >> B&H is selling the kit with the 14-42mm lens for $895, but no body
    > >> only deals are available.  B&H also has the 14-140mm lens for $649.

    > >No, I'm still considering what to get.

    > Funny, I was sure you said you had sold the D7000 and bought a GH2.

    I kind of had the GH2 "on spec" for a week. I was set to buy it but
    the sensitivity thing intruded and I wanted to do more testing.

    > >G3 because it's a reasonable step
    > >up from the G1, the NEX-7 for its resolution and EVF or the GH2 because
    > >I'm familiar with it and it held up well against my D7000.  There are so
    > >many variables for each it's a tough choice.  The Samsung 20mp sensor
    > >looks very good as well, but the camera it's attached to is not great.
    > >They are supposed to release an G1-type body though.

    > In your position, and at this time, I would probably want to wait for
    > the GH3 then decide whether to buy that or the NEX-7.  NEX-7 has 24 MP
    > and the best EVF in the business, but a truly pathetic selection of
    > lenses - what on earth are Sony thinking?  GH3 will have a very good
    > EVF and Panasonic has an excellent selection of lenses, with a little
    > help from Olympus.

    Yes, they keep bashing Sony for their rather weak lens selection.
    Minolta had some interesting lenses, I wonder if Sony considered (or
    did?) adapting any of them, or modernizing them?

    > On the other hand, the G3 is an excellent performer.  Coming from the
    > G1, you probably won't like the small grip, but I like it very much.
    > My 'other' camera is now an M9, and that has no grip at all - unless
    > you buy one as an accessory.

    Or the aftermarket thumb rest.

    RichA, Jan 13, 2012
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Jan 13, 4:32 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> Rich <> wrote:
    >> >Bruce <> wrote in

    >> >No, I'm still considering what to get.

    >> Funny, I was sure you said you had sold the D7000 and bought a GH2.

    >I kind of had the GH2 "on spec" for a week. I was set to buy it but
    >the sensitivity thing intruded and I wanted to do more testing.

    OK.

    >> >G3 because it's a reasonable step
    >> >up from the G1, the NEX-7 for its resolution and EVF or the GH2 because
    >> >I'm familiar with it and it held up well against my D7000.  There are so
    >> >many variables for each it's a tough choice.  The Samsung 20mp sensor
    >> >looks very good as well, but the camera it's attached to is not great.
    >> >They are supposed to release an G1-type body though.

    >> In your position, and at this time, I would probably want to wait for
    >> the GH3 then decide whether to buy that or the NEX-7.  NEX-7 has 24 MP
    >> and the best EVF in the business, but a truly pathetic selection of
    >> lenses - what on earth are Sony thinking?  GH3 will have a very good
    >> EVF and Panasonic has an excellent selection of lenses, with a little
    >> help from Olympus.

    >Yes, they keep bashing Sony for their rather weak lens selection.
    >Minolta had some interesting lenses, I wonder if Sony considered (or
    >did?) adapting any of them, or modernizing them?

    They probably aren't telecentric enough. Modernising might involve a
    complete redesign, and Sony seems not to want to invest in lenses.
    Rarely have there been serious lines of cameras with a poor selection
    of lenses. Sony has TWO - Alpha and NEX!

    >> On the other hand, the G3 is an excellent performer.  Coming from the
    >> G1, you probably won't like the small grip, but I like it very much.
    >> My 'other' camera is now an M9, and that has no grip at all - unless
    >> you buy one as an accessory.

    >Or the aftermarket thumb rest.

    Yes, but. Yes, there is an aftermarket thumb rest but when fitted it
    uses the hot shoe. I need the hot shoe for viewfinders, my spirit
    level, occasional use of flash ... so the thumb rest is not much use.
    I believe there is now one that sticks on with adhesive. I might try
    that but I would need to be assured that it won't come off, sending a
    very expensive piece of kit plunging on to the concrete.

    So faced with the choice of a Leica brand grip that uses the tripod
    bush, or an off-brand thumb rest that uses the hot shoe, I chose
    neither. Instead, I use a leather half case that has a built-in grip.

    It is similar to several brands on the market but was specially made
    for me by a saddler. It is so good that I would like to market it. I
    am waiting for a price for an initial run of 20, 50 or 100 to see if
    it would be worth me selling it.

    Bruce, Jan 13, 2012
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 13, 12:12 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:

    > >> Funny, I was sure you said you had sold the D7000 and bought a GH2.

    > >I kind of had the GH2 "on spec" for a week.  I was set to buy it but
    > >the sensitivity thing intruded and I wanted to do more testing.

    > OK.

    > >> In your position, and at this time, I would probably want to wait for
    > >> the GH3 then decide whether to buy that or the NEX-7.  NEX-7 has 24 MP
    > >> and the best EVF in the business, but a truly pathetic selection of
    > >> lenses - what on earth are Sony thinking?  GH3 will have a very good
    > >> EVF and Panasonic has an excellent selection of lenses, with a little
    > >> help from Olympus.

    > >Yes, they keep bashing Sony for their rather weak lens selection.
    > >Minolta had some interesting lenses, I wonder if Sony considered (or
    > >did?) adapting any of them, or modernizing them?

    > They probably aren't telecentric enough.  Modernising might involve a
    > complete redesign, and Sony seems not to want to invest in lenses.
    > Rarely have there been serious lines of cameras with a poor selection
    > of lenses.  Sony has TWO - Alpha and NEX!

    I remember Sony saying about a year ago they were going to add even
    cheaper lenses to the line!

    > >> On the other hand, the G3 is an excellent performer.  Coming from the
    > >> G1, you probably won't like the small grip, but I like it very much.
    > >> My 'other' camera is now an M9, and that has no grip at all - unless
    > >> you buy one as an accessory.

    > >Or the aftermarket thumb rest.

    > Yes, but.  Yes, there is an aftermarket thumb rest but when fitted it
    > uses the hot shoe.  I need the hot shoe for viewfinders, my spirit
    > level, occasional use of flash ... so the thumb rest is not much use.
    > I believe there is now one that sticks on with adhesive.

    The unit is well-built. How hard would it be to cut holes in the part
    that goes into the hot shoe and add some insulated contacts?

    RichA, Jan 13, 2012
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Jan 13, 12:12 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >> >Yes, they keep bashing Sony for their rather weak lens selection.
    >> >Minolta had some interesting lenses, I wonder if Sony considered (or
    >> >did?) adapting any of them, or modernizing them?

    >> They probably aren't telecentric enough.  Modernising might involve a
    >> complete redesign, and Sony seems not to want to invest in lenses.
    >> Rarely have there been serious lines of cameras with a poor selection
    >> of lenses.  Sony has TWO - Alpha and NEX!
    >>

    >I remember Sony saying about a year ago they were going to add even
    >cheaper lenses to the line!

    Sony seems to have an unerring habit of making failure out of success.

    >> >Or the aftermarket thumb rest.

    >> Yes, but.  Yes, there is an aftermarket thumb rest but when fitted it
    >> uses the hot shoe.  I need the hot shoe for viewfinders, my spirit
    >> level, occasional use of flash ... so the thumb rest is not much use.
    >> I believe there is now one that sticks on with adhesive.

    >The unit is well-built. How hard would it be to cut holes in the part
    >that goes into the hot shoe and add some insulated contacts?

    That's an interesting idea. I know someone who makes things like
    that. His stuff isn't cheap, but it works. I suppose it is worth a
    try, and it might sell. In the meantime, the half case with grip
    works well.

    Bruce, Jan 13, 2012