Panasonic fz7!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by germano, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. germano

    germano Guest

    germano, Jan 23, 2006

  2. germano wrote:
    > Arrived!!manual focus,2,5"LCD,movie 640x480,zoom cropped 3mpx 600
    > mm.ecc
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/panasonicfz7/

    Thanks for posting that, germano.

    It's 6 MP for normal use. Adds manual focus, and longer maximum exposure
    times (60 seconds). Brighter viewfinders in low light. Only 20g heavier,
    so still a very compact and lightweight camera. Looks like a nice update.

    Another winner, I suspect!

    [I've copied to the ZLR group]

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 23, 2006

  3. On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:09:49 GMT, David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:
    > germano wrote:
    >> Arrived!!manual focus,2,5"LCD,movie 640x480,zoom cropped 3mpx 600
    >> mm.ecc
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/panasonicfz7/

    > Thanks for posting that, germano.
    >
    > It's 6 MP for normal use. Adds manual focus, and longer maximum exposure
    > times (60 seconds). Brighter viewfinders in low light. Only 20g heavier,
    > so still a very compact and lightweight camera. Looks like a nice update.
    >
    > Another winner, I suspect!

    Interesting. I'm mildly surprised that they didn't follow the pattern of
    the FZ4/5 and introduce the FZ6/8 with the upper end one using the
    sensor off the FZ30. I guess all the screaming about excessive noise due
    to small pixels on the 8 MP sensor had an effect...

    It's also a little odd that it didn't use the fold-out screen of the
    FZ30. Other than that, about what you'd expect as the next generation of
    the design series. I didn't see mention of list price or availability
    dates; guessing $500 and March/April.

    It's not a big enough jump to make me consider upgrading, but if I were
    purchasing new around now, I might consider holding off the couple of
    months.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    []
    > It's not a big enough jump to make me consider upgrading, but if I
    > were
    > purchasing new around now, I might consider holding off the couple of
    > months.
    >
    > -dms

    Yes, that is my view as well. What I have now - the FZ5 - works perfectly
    well. No need to upgrade.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 23, 2006
  5. germano

    measekite Guest

    I had a feeling this would happen about now. They have kept the rumors
    quiet. Now I hope it is inclusive of all of the features of the FZ5 and
    goes from there.

    Being a 6MP camera I do not understand why they did not call it an FZ6
    unless they plan on announcing a downgraded version called an FZ6 for
    less money.

    Anybody hear how much this will cost?

    measekite, Jan 23, 2006
  6. germano

    measekite Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:09:49 GMT, David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>germano wrote:
    >>

    >>>Arrived!!manual focus,2,5"LCD,movie 640x480,zoom cropped 3mpx 600
    >>>mm.ecc
    >>>
    >>>http://www.dpreview.com/articles/panasonicfz7/
    >>>

    >>Thanks for posting that, germano.
    >>
    >>It's 6 MP for normal use. Adds manual focus, and longer maximum exposure
    >>times (60 seconds). Brighter viewfinders in low light. Only 20g heavier,
    >>so still a very compact and lightweight camera. Looks like a nice update.

    That is what I am planning. Too bad about a swivel lcd. I hope the FZ7
    still supports the lines dividing the screen. To me that would be a nice
    feature for composition and to keep the horizon level.

    measekite, Jan 23, 2006
  7. On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:27:59 GMT, measekite <> wrote:

    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    >>>Thanks for posting that, germano.
    >>>
    >>>It's 6 MP for normal use. Adds manual focus, and longer maximum exposure
    >>>times (60 seconds). Brighter viewfinders in low light. Only 20g heavier,
    >>>so still a very compact and lightweight camera. Looks like a nice update.
    >>>

    > That is what I am planning. Too bad about a swivel lcd. I hope the FZ7
    > still supports the lines dividing the screen. To me that would be a nice
    > feature for composition and to keep the horizon level.

    I think I saw a mention in the preview that guidelines were still one of
    the display options.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 23, 2006
  8. germano

    measekite Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:27:59 GMT, measekite <> wrote:
    >

    >>Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    >>That is what I am planning. Too bad about a swivel lcd. I hope the FZ7
    >>still supports the lines dividing the screen. To me that would be a nice
    >>feature for composition and to keep the horizon level.
    >>

    >I think I saw a mention in the preview that guidelines were still one of
    >the display options.
    >
    >-dms

    I read the preview and the grids were mentioned as an option. I wonder
    when it will arrive. Then I plan on waiting until things settle down so
    the price will move a little.
    measekite, Jan 24, 2006
  9. On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 01:32:24 GMT, measekite <> wrote:
    > I read the preview and the grids were mentioned as an option. I wonder
    > when it will arrive. Then I plan on waiting until things settle down so
    > the price will move a little.

    Guessing (and it's just a guess, based on the FZ5) available in the
    early spring at $500 list, street price in the $400-450 range.

    I'm also curious to see what Canon, Sony, etc., will offer in response.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 24, 2006
  10. germano

    webwald Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    > Interesting. I'm mildly surprised that they didn't follow the pattern
    > of the FZ4/5 and introduce the FZ6/8 with the upper end one using the
    > sensor off the FZ30. I guess all the screaming about excessive noise
    > due to small pixels on the 8 MP sensor had an effect...

    They couldn't use the same sensor as in the FZ30 as it would have meant
    that the FZ7 would have been much the same size as the FZ30. They
    clearly wanted the FZ7 to stay as a compact version of the FZ30 for
    those who prefer a smaller and lighter camera.

    > It's also a little odd that it didn't use the fold-out screen of the
    > FZ30. Other than that, about what you'd expect as the next generation
    > of the design series.

    I would expect that the frame required for the fold-out screen would
    have added extra weight as well as bulk, running against the design
    requirements of a small and compact camera such as the FZ7 is.

    --
    Witold
    webwald, Jan 24, 2006
  11. On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:09:49 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    >Only 20g heavier,
    >so still a very compact and lightweight camera.

    But slightly bigger than its predecessors too. Too bad!

    Panasonic should now make a new 2 or 3 Megapixel camera along
    the same lines, but even smaller and lighter.

    If they already made it bigger, they should have incorporated a
    swivelling viewfinder, I think.

    Hans-Georg (never quite satisfied, it seems)

    p.s. I still own an FZ1-2 and am waiting for an upgrade that
    constitutes a big enough jump in capability to warrant swapping
    cameras. Not yet, it seems. I need that swivelling viewfinder.

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Jan 24, 2006