    life and battery charge, does it make a difference whether you charge
    the battery before it completely runs down?

    Any info about this would be appreciated.
    BRH, Aug 4, 2006

  2. BRH

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    BRH <BRH> wrote:

    > I looked all thru the manual, but can't find a definitive answer to this
    > question.....
    >
    > For the proprietary battery for the Panasonci FZ7: In terms of battery
    > life and battery charge, does it make a difference whether you charge
    > the battery before it completely runs down?
    >
    > Any info about this would be appreciated.

    I have one of these. It uses a Li-Ion battery, which does not have any
    problems with 'memory effect', it won't make any difference if you run
    it flat or top up charge it. If you do top up charge it *might* be
    beneficial to let it run flat every few months or so.

    As far as life goes, I've taken a few hundred pictures on mine, and only
    had to recharge a couple of times. The manual says you should get about
    300 shots per charge, but in reality it will be less if you use zoom or
    flash a lot. I tend to use zoom quite a bit, and I get just over 200
    shots per charge.

    --
    Andy Hewitt
    <http://www.thehewitts.eclipse.co.uk/>
    Andy Hewitt, Aug 4, 2006

  3. BRH

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:36:59 -0400, BRH wrote:

    > For the proprietary battery for the Panasonci FZ7: In terms of battery
    > life and battery charge, does it make a difference whether you charge
    > the battery before it completely runs down?

    No, it shouldn't make any difference. There may be good reasons
    for putting the battery back in the charger before it runs down, but
    that's for an entirely different reason, and depends in part on how
    many batteries you have at any one time, whether you prefer being
    able to get a greater number of shots per battery (over its
    lifetime) instead of convenience, or whether you have a real need
    for multiple batteries.
    ASAAR, Aug 4, 2006
  4. On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:36:59 -0400, BRH wrote:

    >For the proprietary battery for the Panasonci FZ7: In terms of battery
    >life and battery charge, does it make a difference whether you charge
    >the battery before it completely runs down?

    Shouldn't make much of a difference, but generally these
    batteries like to be charged, rather than discharged. Best
    treatment is probably to charge them after each use.

    A sure way to kill the battery is to run it down as far as
    possible, until the camera switches off, then let it sit for
    many days without charging it. These batteries don't like deep
    discharges at all. Normally their own electronics prevent that,
    but without a charger their self-discharge will slowly produce a
    deep discharge, destroying the battery.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.