    Is this (keeping settings between two shots) possible with the FZ5?

    --
    Felix E. Klee
    Felix E. Klee, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Felix E. Klee

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:20:01 +0100, Felix E. Klee wrote:

    > Yesterday, I got a new FZ5. :) Actually, not much is holding me back
    > from opening the package and putting it to use - returning it is not an
    > option since it was a gift. Nevertheless, I'd like to know in advance:
    >
    > I'd occasionally like to do stereo shots with the camera, as follows.
    >
    > 1. An image is shot.
    >
    > 2. The camera is moved to the left (or to the right), usually by a
    > couple of cm, and another image is shot, with the *same* settings
    > (focus, aperture, etc.) as for the first shot.
    >
    > Is this (keeping settings between two shots) possible with the FZ5?

    Have a look in your manual.

    That is the sort of info that should be in there.
    --
    Neil
    Delete 'l' to reply by email
    Neil Ellwood, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Felix E. Klee wrote:
    > Yesterday, I got a new FZ5. :) Actually, not much is holding me back
    > from opening the package and putting it to use - returning it is not
    > an option since it was a gift. Nevertheless, I'd like to know in
    > advance:
    >
    > I'd occasionally like to do stereo shots with the camera, as follows.
    >
    > 1. An image is shot.
    >
    > 2. The camera is moved to the left (or to the right), usually by a
    > couple of cm, and another image is shot, with the *same* settings
    > (focus, aperture, etc.) as for the first shot.
    >
    > Is this (keeping settings between two shots) possible with the FZ5?

    Nice camera - you'll enjoy it!

    You could certainly use manual settings as one way of doing this -
    although the focus will have to be auto.

    By the way, there is a newsgroup devoted to ZLR-class cameras. You can
    find it at rec.photo.digital.zlr.

    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 16, 2006
  4. On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:20:01 +0100, Felix E. Klee <> wrote:
    > Yesterday, I got a new FZ5. :) Actually, not much is holding me back
    > from opening the package and putting it to use - returning it is not an
    > option since it was a gift. Nevertheless, I'd like to know in advance:
    >
    > I'd occasionally like to do stereo shots with the camera, as follows.
    >
    > 1. An image is shot.
    >
    > 2. The camera is moved to the left (or to the right), usually by a
    > couple of cm, and another image is shot, with the *same* settings
    > (focus, aperture, etc.) as for the first shot.
    >
    > Is this (keeping settings between two shots) possible with the FZ5?

    Yes, sort of.

    The FZ5 doesn't have an exposure lock function, so if you want to be
    sure that the settings don't change between shots, the only way to do it
    is to put the camera into M (full Manual) mode and specify the aperture
    and shutter speed.

    What I tend to do in such situations is put the camera into P mode (full
    Auto), half-press the shutter to let the light meter determine the
    exposure, and then go into M mode and manually set that aperture/shutter
    (or a somewhat different one, if I think the meter's made a mistake. But
    I usually at least start with the auto values).

    I do this for wide-angle stitching, but it should work just as well for
    stereo shots.

    Enjoy your camera! I've had my FZ5 for the better part of a year now,
    and I've been very happy with it.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Mar 16, 2006
  5. Thanks for the replies. Yesterday, I've been able to make a stereo shot
    with focus locked (explanation is on page 76 of the English manual,
    IIRC), and I'm very happy with the result. :)

    Thanks, for all the helpful replies!

    --
    Felix E. Klee
    Felix E. Klee, Mar 17, 2006