    When I turn it on / off I cannot see a significant difference in the
    visable shake.
    , Aug 13, 2005

  2. Ed Ruf Guest

    On 12 Aug 2005 18:27:00 -0700, in rec.photo.digital wrote:

    >It's hard for me to tell it's on. Does anyone out there with this
    >camera notice a big difference when on 12X and looking at a subject? I
    >have the IS in Mode 2, so it should be working all the time.
    >
    >When I turn it on / off I cannot see a significant difference in the
    >visable shake.

    What shutter speeds are you talking about. The rule of thumb for handheld
    shots is 1/f, so at 12x what's your 35mm equiv focal length? You should be
    able to handhold that or better.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, Aug 13, 2005

  3. On 12 Aug 2005 18:27:00 -0700, <> wrote:
    > It's hard for me to tell it's on. Does anyone out there with this
    > camera notice a big difference when on 12X and looking at a subject? I
    > have the IS in Mode 2, so it should be working all the time.
    >
    > When I turn it on / off I cannot see a significant difference in the
    > visable shake.

    http://home.uchicago.edu/~dmsilev/dart_normal.jpg
    http://home.uchicago.edu/~dmsilev/dart_stab.jpg

    These are cropped images from an FZ5, which has essentially the same
    lens and the same stabilizer as the FZ20. Both images were taken
    (hand-held) at full zoom and 1/15 s shutter. No stabilization for the
    first, mode 2 for the second.

    I would argue that the difference is significant.

    (Oh, and Mode 1 is the always-on mode. Mode 2 only activates when the
    shutter is activated. Mode 2 seems to work better, for me anyway.)

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Aug 13, 2005
  4. wavelength Guest

    You might check if there is a selection for "exposure only" or
    "full-time". This if you're on exposure only IS priority, then the
    camera would not show you and IS image during framing and focus.

    Change it to Full time if you want, but you'll drain the battery, and
    you'll get lazy holding your camera steady. It's not for large amounts
    of hand shake, it's for those uncontrollable hand holding issues,
    breathing, slight movement and jitters, pressing of the sutter release
    and such.
    wavelength, Aug 13, 2005
  5. SleeperMan Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On 12 Aug 2005 18:27:00 -0700, <> wrote:
    >> It's hard for me to tell it's on. Does anyone out there with this
    >> camera notice a big difference when on 12X and looking at a subject?
    >> I have the IS in Mode 2, so it should be working all the time.
    >>
    >> When I turn it on / off I cannot see a significant difference in the
    >> visable shake.

    > http://home.uchicago.edu/~dmsilev/dart_normal.jpg
    > http://home.uchicago.edu/~dmsilev/dart_stab.jpg
    >
    > These are cropped images from an FZ5, which has essentially the same
    > lens and the same stabilizer as the FZ20. Both images were taken
    > (hand-held) at full zoom and 1/15 s shutter. No stabilization for the
    > first, mode 2 for the second.
    >
    > I would argue that the difference is significant.
    >
    > (Oh, and Mode 1 is the always-on mode. Mode 2 only activates when the
    > shutter is activated. Mode 2 seems to work better, for me anyway.)
    >
    > -dms

    isn't interesting - most of these IS systems seems to work better if
    activated only when pressing a shutter...although it's nice to see more
    smooth picture when aiming, final shot is what it really matters... (in my
    S2 is same, i mean).
    I wonder why is that...
    SleeperMan, Aug 13, 2005
  6. wrote:
    > It's hard for me to tell it's on. Does anyone out there with this
    > camera notice a big difference when on 12X and looking at a subject? I
    > have the IS in Mode 2, so it should be working all the time.
    >
    > When I turn it on / off I cannot see a significant difference in the
    > visable shake.

    No, in mode 2 the IS is only activated just before exposure. This is
    supposed to be better - I suspect this is because the stabilising elements
    may be nearer the optical axis but I don't know this for a fact.

    If you try mode 1 IS instead you should see a very significant difference
    with the IS on or off. IS works very well on the Panasonic cameras,
    giving a possible exposure time about ten times longer with IS than
    hand-held.

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 13, 2005