Panasonic DVD-RV31 problem

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Peter, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hello
    I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me with a problem with my
    Panasonic DVD player.
    It's a DVD-R31 model.

    Today I was watching Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. Right near the
    end of the movie, about 5 minutes left of it. My DVD skipped for a second,
    then froze. The image was stuck on the screen. Cursing, I figured it was a
    fingerprint, or a minor scratch or something.

    So I go to eject the disk. but alas, eject doesn't work. I hit play, pause,
    stop, none of them work. WTF ? I try just about every button my remote and
    on the player itself. The only thing I can do is get it to turn off or turn
    on.

    I unscrewed the cover of the dvd player and took a look inside, nothing
    seems out of the ordinary, no dust in side. I plugged it back in, and the
    DVD doesn't even spin. I'm wondering if it's a burnt motor, or something
    else.

    Has anyone else had a similar problem ? This is the first problem I've ever
    had with the player. It's approximately 3 years old.
    Peter, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Peter <> wrote:

    > Hello
    > I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me with a problem with my
    > Panasonic DVD player.
    > It's a DVD-R31 model.
    >
    > Today I was watching Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. Right near the
    > end of the movie, about 5 minutes left of it. My DVD skipped for a second,
    > then froze. The image was stuck on the screen. Cursing, I figured it was a
    > fingerprint, or a minor scratch or something.
    >
    > So I go to eject the disk. but alas, eject doesn't work. I hit play, pause,
    > stop, none of them work. WTF ? I try just about every button my remote and
    > on the player itself. The only thing I can do is get it to turn off or turn
    > on.
    >
    > I unscrewed the cover of the dvd player and took a look inside, nothing
    > seems out of the ordinary, no dust in side. I plugged it back in, and the
    > DVD doesn't even spin. I'm wondering if it's a burnt motor, or something
    > else.
    >
    > Has anyone else had a similar problem ? This is the first problem I've ever
    > had with the player. It's approximately 3 years old.

    Try unplugging it for a little bit, then plugging it in again.
    Frank Malczewski, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Peter

    harrison Guest

    > Has anyone else had a similar problem ? This is the first problem I've

    ever
    > had with the player. It's approximately 3 years old.

    Yes, I have the same problem with some disks burned in an Panasonic DVR.
    The only way I could get the disk out was to unplug the unit, not just power
    off, but physically unplugged and hit Eject during the powe up sequence.

    Dave
    harrison, Jun 28, 2004
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    THanks. I will give that a try...

    Peter, Jun 28, 2004
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Ok.. I tried what you said.. No go.. It just doesn't do a thing. Strange.
    I e-mailed an authorized Panasonic repair place nearby.
    They told me it could be a couple of things, and that it coul dcost $120-150
    cdn + $20 estimate fee.
    WTF!
    I can go buy a new DVD player for that much..

    Peter, Jun 28, 2004