    than the whole machine is worth.

    I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging customers this way. I
    just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

    Vubast, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Vubast

    Bill Davison Guest

    Over the years, I have learned to avoid Panoonic like the plague. Got burned a
    couple of times, just as you, and that was enough. My most recent foolish purchase
    was their portable DVD player that failed after only playing less than 30 DVDs,
    unfortunatley over a longer period then Panosonic's warranty. The P in Panosonic
    stands for Poor.

    Bill Davison, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Vubast

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Vubast" <> wrote in message

    <<Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR series DVD
    recorders: After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for
    service. You are told that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive
    will be $595, which is more than the whole machine is worth. I don't
    know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging customers this way. I just
    know I'm not buying any more of their products.>>

    The warranty on all Panasonic DMR-series DVD recorders is 1-year parts
    and labor. If you had purchased this unit with an American Express card
    (or other credit card with similar protection features) you could have
    doubled the factory warranty.

    During a 2-year warranty period, a $600 player would cost you around $25
    per month to operate. This is a very good value when you compare it to
    other entertainment costs that you undoubtedly pay.

    You take a substantial risk whenever you purchase audio/video products
    without an extended warranty. From what I have seen locally, ALL of the
    major brands have closed their factory service facilities and only a few
    still have factory-authorized service centers. (Panasonic does maintain
    several factory-authorized service centers within 15 miles of my home.)
    Therefore -- whether you have a factory extended warranty or a dealer
    extended warranty -- many small home electronic items will need to be
    shipped back to the factory or a service facility during the warranty
    period for replacement or to be exchanged for a refurbished unit.
    Typically, these refurbished units tend to be in worse overall condition
    (scratches, scuffs etc.) than the unit that you are returning. Before
    you buy, find out where and how warranty repairs are done.

    I recently purchased a Panasonic DVD-S55 for $130 and it came with a
    1-year parts and 90-day labor warranty. Because I purchased this unit
    with my American Express card, I was able to double this factory
    warranty to 2-years parts and 180-days labor. American Express typically
    replaces all electronic items valued under $150 if they fail during the
    extended warranty period. Therefore, I need to analyze the risk
    involved:

    $130 + tax = $140.

    $140 divided by 6 months = $23 per month. If the player breaks down one
    day after the warranty expires, I can determine what I will have paid
    for the use of the player during the warranty period. Any use after that
    (an additional 6-months for example) will reduce the monthly cost to
    $11.50 per month. At this time, I have no extended warranty on the
    player, but I can still add a service contract during the factory
    warranty period, which expires on 2-26-04. I just called Panasonic and
    these are the prices for their in-house service contracts, which take
    effect AFTER the factory warranty expires, so 3-months must be deducted
    from each one to arrive at the actual added protection cost):

    1- year = $59.95 (9-months coverage @ $6.67)
    2-years = $109.95 (22-months coverage @ $5.00)
    3-years = $149.95 (33 months coverage @ $4.55)

    I would prefer to gamble that I will want to buy next year's DVD player
    (Panasonic or otherwise) rather than pay for an extended warranty and
    have a fixed-up player -- or even worse, a refurbished player.

    On the other hand, your $600 DVD recorder investment is nearly 5 times
    greater than the $130 that I paid for a DVD player. In addition to that,
    DVD recorders are relatively new technology and much more complex than a
    simple player. In this case, I would seriously consider getting some
    kind of extended warranty on a DVD recorder. Here are the quotes that I
    got from Panasonic for their DMR series DVD recorders:

    Even though the cost of your $600 DVD recorder is nearly 5 times greater
    than my DVD player, the cost of insuring it is only slightly more than
    the cost of insuring a player:

    1- year = $99.95 (9-months coverage @ 11.11)
    2-years = $149.95 (22-months coverage @ $6.82) (This level of extended
    warranty can be obtained on a 1- year parts and labor machine if you
    use the right credit card.)
    3-years = $219.95 (33-months coverage @ $6.67)

    Right now, you are determined never again to purchase a Panasonic
    product. However, you would still be well advised to consider getting an
    extended warranty (either through a credit card guarantee or service
    contract) on any brand of DVD recorder that you purchase. Whatever brand
    you buy will still have a certain percentage of bad units and one of
    them could, once again, be yours.

    Scot Gardner, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Vubast

    Guest

    On 22 Jan 2004 16:10:59 GMT, (Vubast) wrote:

    >Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR series DVD recorders:
    >After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for service. You are told
    >that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive will be $595, which is more
    >than the whole machine is worth.
    >
    >I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging customers this way. I
    >just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

    I have recorded over 1700 dvd-r's with my Panasonic dmr.
    Still works fine. Maybe your cat pissed on the machine.

    , Jan 22, 2004
  5. Vubast

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Vubast" <> wrote in message
    > Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR series DVD

    recorders:
    > After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for service. You are

    told
    > that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive will be $595, which is

    more
    > than the whole machine is worth.
    >
    > I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging customers this way.

    > just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

    I have one Panasonic machine that has worked flawlessly since I bought it.
    Unfortunately, it is a microwave oven.

    --
    Jay

    "Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."

    Jay Stewart, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Vubast

    Vubast Guest

    >>I have recorded over 1700 dvd-r's with my Panasonic dmr.

    Still works fine. Maybe your cat pissed on the machine.

    Cat didn't piss, and the dog didn't chew. The point, which a few people seem to
    have missed, is the outrageous repair cost. $475 of the $595 cost quoted by the
    authorized repair company was parts. There's no way a disc drive costs that
    much, and gouging on repairs serves no good purpose I can see. I refuse to pay
    it, and I refuse to buy any more Panasonic products.

    Vubast, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Vubast

    tom Guest

    You're an idiot.

    tom, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Vubast

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Vubast" <> wrote in message
    > Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR

    series DVD recorders:
    > After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for

    service. You are told
    > that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive will be

    $595, which is more
    > than the whole machine is worth.
    >
    > I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging

    customers this way. I
    > just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

    Then, I guess my DMR-E30s has been living on borrowed time
    for the last two weeks.

    Anyway, Sony and Mitsubishi both do similar stuff. Last
    time I took a Sony VCR in, the cost to look at it
    (regardless of whether or not they could fix it) was $120,
    IIRC. Having the heads replaced on two Super-Beta units
    back around late 1996~1997, was over $550 per deck. Sony
    even wanted ~$120 to replace a broken remote. I've had two
    Mitsubishi SVHS VCRs fail and be "not worth repairing" at 18
    and 13 months respectively.

    Guess I should avoid Panasonic, Sony, Mitsubishi and JVC
    (had problems with them too). Who's left? No, it's just
    that because of dropping prices, all this stuff is
    disposable today.

    OTOH, I had a Sony DVD player (DVP-S500) that I didn't even
    bother taking back to Sony for repair (because of the
    minimum charge of $120). I gave it to my cousin, who took
    it to a guy he knows who repairs A/V equipment for a local
    school. It was repaired for $30 and is still working today,
    2 years later. Try an independent. You might get lucky.

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
    -------------------------------

    Mac Breck, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Vubast

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "tom" <> wrote in message
    <<Snipped: Idiot's long and informative sermon about the value of
    extended warranties and how to obtain them at no additional cost through
    the use of certain credit cards.>>

    > You're an idiot.

    And what do you call a person who top-posts over a verbatim quote of the
    entire 680-word post of an idiot?

    An imbecile.

    Scot Gardner, Jan 23, 2004
  10. On 22 Jan 2004 16:10:59 GMT, (Vubast) wrote:

    >Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR series DVD recorders:
    >After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for service. You are told
    >that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive will be $595, which is more
    >than the whole machine is worth.
    >
    >I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging customers this way. I
    >just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

    I know it might not help you much, but I have seen some posts of
    people claiming it is possible to replace the hard drive yourself.
    Won't get you a bigger drive, but will get you a working one!

    Mark K

    John Bigbooty, Jan 23, 2004
  11. Vubast

    Jim Ford Guest

    Since this is a Panasonic discussion, anybody got any experiences to
    share concerning the Panasonic DMR-E100HGK player/recorder? Since I happen
    to commute between Europe and the US a few times a year, this gadget seems
    to be what I am looking for.

    Jim Ford, Jan 23, 2004
  12. Vubast

    Mac Breck Guest

    wrote:

    > >Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR

    series DVD recorders:
    > >After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for

    service. You are told
    > >that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive will be

    $595, which is more
    > >than the whole machine is worth.
    > >
    > >I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging

    customers this way. I
    > >just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

    > I know it might not help you much, but I have seen some

    posts of
    > people claiming it is possible to replace the hard drive

    yourself.
    > Won't get you a bigger drive, but will get you a working

    one!

    Wait a minute. What exactly has failed, the DVD drive or
    the hard drive? From the Vubast's posts, it isn't clear
    that his unit even had a hard drive.

    Mac Breck, Jan 23, 2004