    onto dvd ram do i have to do anything to the footage before burning onto dvd
    blanks, is the format ok to play on any stand alone dvd player or do i have
    to do anything to it ?...cheers in advance

    howie feltersnatch, Dec 1, 2004

  2. howie feltersnatch

    P Pron Guest

    howie feltersnatch wrote:
    > QUICK QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS OUT THERE...
    >
    > I have the Panasonic DVD Ram recorder and plan to trawl through
    > umpteen vhs of my daughter growing up and home footage (non smutty i
    > might add !) when i hook up the vhs to the dvd recorder and once i
    > have transfered the footage onto dvd ram do i have to do anything to
    > the footage before burning onto dvd blanks, is the format ok to play
    > on any stand alone dvd player or do i have to do anything to it
    > ?...cheers in advance

    DVD-RAM recorders don't record RAM discs in standard DVD format, and if you
    simply burned the contents of a RAM disc onto a -R or +R disc, it's doubtful
    that any DVD player would know what on earth it is...

    You need to author the recording as a regular DVD, using something like
    "TMPGenc DVD Author" (which can recognise the file structure of DVD-RAM
    discs) before burning it DVD-/+R.

    TMPGenc DVD Author is very intuitive to use, and has a basic editing
    facility, to cut out the clunky bits, but Womble MPEG-VCR can do
    frame-accurate edits, and is also quick and easy. You'd use MPEG-VCR first,
    then author the resulting file (insterting chapters, etc) with TMPGenc DVD
    Author.

    hth

    paul

    P Pron, Dec 1, 2004

  3. howie feltersnatch

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:21:55 -0000, "howie feltersnatch"
    <neil@&&&pha-q.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >QUICK QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS OUT THERE...
    >
    >I have the Panasonic DVD Ram recorder and plan to trawl through umpteen vhs
    >of my daughter growing up and home footage (non smutty i might add !) when i
    >hook up the vhs to the dvd recorder and once i have transfered the footage
    >onto dvd ram do i have to do anything to the footage before burning onto dvd
    >blanks, is the format ok to play on any stand alone dvd player or do i have
    >to do anything to it ?...cheers in advance

    DVD-RAM discs are not likely to play on other players. You'll need to
    use DVD-R discs for better compatibility. Once finalized DVD-R discs
    should play or most players.

    However, before you start, you may want to make some test recordings
    to a DVD-RAM disc to see what recording speed gives the best results
    and to find the right balance of quality vs. disc usage.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Dec 1, 2004
  4. many thanks