Panasonic DVD A120U pixelating - need service menu instructions

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by miller, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. miller

    miller Guest

    I have a Panasonic DVD A120U that used to work fine but now skips,
    freezes, and pixelates the DVD movies I play. This problem is
    happening with all my DVDs. I suspect the laser needs to be reset or
    aligned or something.

    I read a post from 1999 (copied further down) where someone had the
    same problem with pixelating. It was suggested that they go into the
    service menu and get their DVD heads to auto readjust themselves.
    "You'll have to have one of the Panasonic owners here give you the key
    combo to access the service menu."

    I did not see a response with the key combo to access the service menu,
    nor how to set the DVD player to calibrate itself. I've Googled this
    and can find no answers. I would very much appreciate someone telling
    me how to fix this problem using the service menu. Feel free to e-mail
    me or post in the newsgroup. Thanks!

    snipped and pasted from old topic:

    4. Pete Briggs
    Oct 22 1999, 1:00 am show options

    Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd
    From: (Pete Briggs) - Find messages by this
    author
    Date: 1999/10/22
    Subject: Re: Nightmare Before Christmas question??

    <> wrote:
    > I'm kinda new to the DVD thing, but I have over 50 DVD's and all
    > worked fine. I have a Panasonic A120U. (By the way, the Matrix works
    > fine...) I just got a copy of the Nightmare Before Christmas and it
    > keeps skipping at the same point. Prior to skipping, it pixilizes and
    > then pauses a bit. Anyone had any problems with this particular movie
    > before? Is it most likely the DVD or something else? I didn't expect
    > to have problems so quickly... Any advice would be appreciated.

    This sounds like a problem I had with "Tron" on my Sony 7700 a while
    back.

    I haven't experienced any problem with "Nightmare", so I imagine what
    you have to do is go into the service menu on your particular machine,
    and using "Nightmare" as the calibration disc, get your DVD heads to
    auto readjust themselves. (You'll have to have one of the Panasonic
    owners here give you the key combo to access the service menu, I'm
    afraid.)

    This worked on "Tron" for me. (It was during the Solar Sailer scene.
    The disc stuttered, broke up into huge blocky pixels, and then froze.)
    The scene played completely smoothly afterwards.

    Another Disney disc, like yours! Curious, that! <g!>

    Best

    Pete
    miller, Dec 5, 2005

  2. miller

    Biz Guest

    IIRC that is typically for Sony players, Panasoncis have no laser
    calibration routine that I have ever heard mentioned anywhere...

    Thats quite and old player and its had a good run, it probably time to
    replace it with a newer unit. A new good player can be had for $100 these
    days, quite a bargain considering what they used to cost...

    Biz, Dec 5, 2005