Panasonic DMRE-50 DVD Video Recorder

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by The Old Man, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. The Old Man

    The Old Man Guest

    Hi all,

    I am thinking about purchasing a Panasonic DMRE-50 DVD Video Recorder. I
    line in the UK and have been looking for some good deals. however, before I
    commit I want to ask a few questions and would be grateful if anyone could
    answer them:

    I will be connecting the DVD Recorder to my Sky+ Satellite/PVR. The main
    purpose is to record from Sky+ my favourite programs/movies but also to send
    them to a friend in the US so that he can see some UK TV programs not
    available in the US.

    1. As I intend to replace my current region Free DVD Player, a cheap Pacific
    DVD-750 made mutli-region, does anyone know where I can obtain a
    mutil-region code for the Panasonic DMR-E50 or if one is available? I have
    seen a Multi-region version of the Recorder available but its out of my
    price range. if I can't get a Multi-Region code for the Panasonic DMR-E50,
    I'll have to keep the old Player.

    2. This model supports DVD-R and DVD-RAM. Does that mean it will also
    support DVD-RW discs or do Recorders specifically mention this? If I
    recorded a program on DVD-RW, I would be able to erase it perhaps via my
    PC's Pioneer DVR-106 burner so that I could use it again, thus replacing the
    need for a VHS Video Tape Recorder. (Some things you just want to share with
    friends at work for example, and when they come back you want to erase and
    reuse.)

    Thank you very much.

    Regards,
    Graham.

    The Old Man, Dec 2, 2003

  2. The Old Man

    Nic Guest

    "The Old Man" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am thinking about purchasing a Panasonic DMRE-50 DVD Video Recorder. I
    > line in the UK and have been looking for some good deals. however, before

    > commit I want to ask a few questions and would be grateful if anyone could
    > answer them:
    >
    > I will be connecting the DVD Recorder to my Sky+ Satellite/PVR. The main
    > purpose is to record from Sky+ my favourite programs/movies but also to

    send
    > them to a friend in the US so that he can see some UK TV programs not
    > available in the US.

    Your friend will have to be able to convert the PAL to NTSC with his DVD
    player or it won't work.

    > 1. As I intend to replace my current region Free DVD Player, a cheap

    Pacific
    > DVD-750 made mutli-region, does anyone know where I can obtain a
    > mutil-region code for the Panasonic DMR-E50 or if one is available? I have
    > seen a Multi-region version of the Recorder available but its out of my
    > price range. if I can't get a Multi-Region code for the Panasonic DMR-E50,
    > I'll have to keep the old Player.

    It has to be chipped for multi region (hence the higher price).

    > 2. This model supports DVD-R and DVD-RAM. Does that mean it will also
    > support DVD-RW discs or do Recorders specifically mention this? If I
    > recorded a program on DVD-RW, I would be able to erase it perhaps via my
    > PC's Pioneer DVR-106 burner so that I could use it again, thus replacing

    the
    > need for a VHS Video Tape Recorder. (Some things you just want to share

    with
    > friends at work for example, and when they come back you want to erase and
    > reuse.)

    It records onto RAM or DVD-R. RAM can be erased on the E50.

    It cannot do DVD-RW. If you had a DVD ROM /DVD Writer drive that reads RAM
    then you can convert to DVD + or DVD -. I use software called TMPGEnc DVD
    Author.

    I use a LG 4040B that reads and writes to all DVD formats.

    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham.

    ---

    Nic, Dec 2, 2003

  3. The Old Man

    The Old Man Guest

    "Nic" <> wrote in message

    > "The Old Man" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I am thinking about purchasing a Panasonic DMRE-50 DVD Video Recorder. I
    > > line in the UK and have been looking for some good deals. however,

    before
    > > commit I want to ask a few questions and would be grateful if anyone

    could
    > > answer them:
    > >
    > > I will be connecting the DVD Recorder to my Sky+ Satellite/PVR. The main
    > > purpose is to record from Sky+ my favourite programs/movies but also to

    > send
    > > them to a friend in the US so that he can see some UK TV programs not
    > > available in the US.

    > Your friend will have to be able to convert the PAL to NTSC with his DVD
    > player or it won't work.
    >

    > > 1. As I intend to replace my current region Free DVD Player, a cheap

    > Pacific
    > > DVD-750 made mutli-region, does anyone know where I can obtain a
    > > mutil-region code for the Panasonic DMR-E50 or if one is available? I

    have
    > > seen a Multi-region version of the Recorder available but its out of my
    > > price range. if I can't get a Multi-Region code for the Panasonic

    DMR-E50,
    > > I'll have to keep the old Player.

    > It has to be chipped for multi region (hence the higher price).
    >

    > > 2. This model supports DVD-R and DVD-RAM. Does that mean it will also
    > > support DVD-RW discs or do Recorders specifically mention this? If I
    > > recorded a program on DVD-RW, I would be able to erase it perhaps via my
    > > PC's Pioneer DVR-106 burner so that I could use it again, thus replacing

    > the
    > > need for a VHS Video Tape Recorder. (Some things you just want to share

    > with
    > > friends at work for example, and when they come back you want to erase

    and
    > > reuse.)

    > It records onto RAM or DVD-R. RAM can be erased on the E50.
    >
    > It cannot do DVD-RW. If you had a DVD ROM /DVD Writer drive that reads

    RAM
    > then you can convert to DVD + or DVD -. I use software called TMPGEnc DVD
    > Author.
    >
    > I use a LG 4040B that reads and writes to all DVD formats.
    >

    > > Thank you very much.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Graham.
    > >

    > ---

    Ok thanks Nic. Looks like I'm going to have get the chipped version.

    Re: The PAL to NTSC conversion - I know I can watch region 1 NTSC discs on
    my DVD Player which is PAL by using a SCART lead to connect to the TV.
    Wouldn't the same be true for him to watch PAL?

    Thanks.
    Graham.

    The Old Man, Dec 3, 2003