    I don't know what the reviewer means by slow. I assume it is USB2,
    not USB1 like one of my early digital cameras. So how slow can it be?

    \Samson
    Samson, Sep 22, 2006

  2. On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:34:06 GMT, Samson <> wrote:
    > I'm thinking about getting a Panasonic DMC-FZ7K to replace my Sony
    > DSC-S85. I read a short review that listed one of the CONS of the
    > camera is that the USB is slow, recommending to get a card reader.
    >
    > I don't know what the reviewer means by slow. I assume it is USB2,
    > not USB1 like one of my early digital cameras. So how slow can it be?

    It's USB 2 "Full Speed", which is comparable in speed to a USB1 link.
    Not a big deal, though, since a USB 2 "Hi Speed" card reader runs
    something like $15. On my FZ5, I tend to use the built-in if I'm
    transferring just a couple of photos, and the card reader if I need to
    do a bulk transfer.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 22, 2006

  3. Samson

    Samson Guest

    Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:34:06 GMT, Samson <> wrote:
    >> I'm thinking about getting a Panasonic DMC-FZ7K to replace my Sony
    >> DSC-S85. I read a short review that listed one of the CONS of the
    >> camera is that the USB is slow, recommending to get a card reader.
    >>
    >> I don't know what the reviewer means by slow. I assume it is USB2,
    >> not USB1 like one of my early digital cameras. So how slow can it be?

    >It's USB 2 "Full Speed", which is comparable in speed to a USB1 link.
    >Not a big deal, though, since a USB 2 "Hi Speed" card reader runs
    >something like $15. On my FZ5, I tend to use the built-in if I'm
    >transferring just a couple of photos, and the card reader if I need to
    >do a bulk transfer.
    >
    >-dms

    I've used a card reader before. I guess it's no problem.

    I don't see much difference in convenience between plugging the camera
    into an external USB hub next to the comptuer, or instead plugging it
    into a card reader hooked to the hub.

    I see one advantage to using a card read instead of the camera's USB
    and that is if the camera doesn't turn off automatically when it is
    connected to the USB hub for downloading and you forget about it.
    Does the Panasonic turn off automatically after so period? I know it
    has a hard switch that moves to On and moves to Off so I wonder.

    One disadvantage of the card reader is that you can forget to put the
    card back in the camera, and take the camera with you and find out you
    can't take any pictures - something I've done when I was using a card
    reader back on an early generation USB1 camera.

    \Samson
    Samson, Sep 22, 2006
  4. On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:29:18 GMT, Samson <> wrote:
    > Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:34:06 GMT, Samson <> wrote:
    >>> I'm thinking about getting a Panasonic DMC-FZ7K to replace my Sony
    >>> DSC-S85. I read a short review that listed one of the CONS of the
    >>> camera is that the USB is slow, recommending to get a card reader.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know what the reviewer means by slow. I assume it is USB2,
    >>> not USB1 like one of my early digital cameras. So how slow can it be?

    >>It's USB 2 "Full Speed", which is comparable in speed to a USB1 link.
    >>Not a big deal, though, since a USB 2 "Hi Speed" card reader runs
    >>something like $15. On my FZ5, I tend to use the built-in if I'm
    >>transferring just a couple of photos, and the card reader if I need to
    >>do a bulk transfer.
    >>
    >>-dms

    > I've used a card reader before. I guess it's no problem.
    >
    > I don't see much difference in convenience between plugging the camera
    > into an external USB hub next to the comptuer, or instead plugging it
    > into a card reader hooked to the hub.
    >
    > I see one advantage to using a card read instead of the camera's USB
    > and that is if the camera doesn't turn off automatically when it is
    > connected to the USB hub for downloading and you forget about it.
    > Does the Panasonic turn off automatically after so period? I know it
    > has a hard switch that moves to On and moves to Off so I wonder.

    There is an auto-sleep function, but I think it is disabled when the
    camera is tethered to a computer. At least, I never saw the camera going
    to sleep during a transfer, even the one time when I downloaded a full 1
    gig card using the camera's interface (didn't have the reader with me
    at the time). Took quite a while to finish, but the camera stayed awake
    through the whole process.

    > One disadvantage of the card reader is that you can forget to put the
    > card back in the camera, and take the camera with you and find out you
    > can't take any pictures - something I've done when I was using a card
    > reader back on an early generation USB1 camera.

    I've never done that, but I can certainly see how it could happen.

    I usually turn on the camera for a second before leaving home, mainly to
    check the battery level. If I had forgotten to insert a card, it would
    complain.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 22, 2006
  5. Samson wrote:
    []
    > One disadvantage of the card reader is that you can forget to put the
    > card back in the camera, and take the camera with you and find out you
    > can't take any pictures - something I've done when I was using a card
    > reader back on an early generation USB1 camera.
    >
    > \Samson

    Always, but always, take a spare card (and battery!).

    David
    David J Taylor, Sep 22, 2006
  6. Samson

    Samson Guest

    >There is an auto-sleep function, but I think it is disabled when the
    >camera is tethered to a computer. At least, I never saw the camera going
    >to sleep during a transfer, even the one time when I downloaded a full 1
    >gig card using the camera's interface (didn't have the reader with me
    >at the time). Took quite a while to finish, but the camera stayed awake
    >through the whole process.

    Maybe the auto-sleep function knows that a transfer is going on and
    doesn't consider that part of the inactivity count down time. Did you
    leave it tethered for a long time after completing the 1G transfer, or
    did you turn it off or disconnect it quickly after it was done?

    Also curious with the hard ON and OFF switch what happens when it
    turns off automatically. Does the switch stay in the ON position?
    And if so how do you turn it back on?

    \Samson
    Samson, Sep 23, 2006
  7. On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 00:08:31 GMT, Samson <> wrote:

    >>There is an auto-sleep function, but I think it is disabled when the
    >>camera is tethered to a computer. At least, I never saw the camera going
    >>to sleep during a transfer, even the one time when I downloaded a full 1
    >>gig card using the camera's interface (didn't have the reader with me
    >>at the time). Took quite a while to finish, but the camera stayed awake
    >>through the whole process.
    >>

    > Maybe the auto-sleep function knows that a transfer is going on and
    > doesn't consider that part of the inactivity count down time. Did you
    > leave it tethered for a long time after completing the 1G transfer, or
    > did you turn it off or disconnect it quickly after it was done?

    That was a few months ago, but my memory is that I turned the camera off
    as soon as the transfer finished.

    > Also curious with the hard ON and OFF switch what happens when it
    > turns off automatically. Does the switch stay in the ON position?
    > And if so how do you turn it back on?

    The switch stays in the ON position; you wake the camera from sleep by
    pushing a button (any button, I think; I usually push the shutter
    release). In sleep mode, the lens is retracted, so it takes a second or
    two to wake while the lens re-extends.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 23, 2006