    4. Very doubtful I will purchase addtional lenses so don't need true
    DSLR
    All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    QX, Jan 26, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    QX <> wrote:

    > Does anyone have comments on this camera? Use it currently?
    > It seems to be what I am looking for:
    > 1. Primarily quick point & shoot to get action photos while hiking &
    > rock scrambling.

    The FZ30 is a bulky, heavy camera (compared the its siblings the LX and
    FX models, or even the FZ 4 & 5). It may be a bit of a handful during
    rock scrambling. It is however fairly quick off the mark. I can take a
    photo within 3 secs of turning it on, although I wouldn't vouch for the
    focus. 2 out of the 3 shots I just tried in this room were in focus but
    sometimes I find it's inclined to hunt around a bit finding the sweet
    spot. Turning Continuous AF off may reduce that hunting, but increase
    the typical time taken to focus slightly. You win some, you lose some.

    > 2. Option to go manual focus/time/f-stop for landscape shots.

    No problem. In Aperture or Shutter priority modes you can tweak the
    settings with the knurled wheels. Manual mode for both. If I think a
    shot is going to be under or over exposed I either point it at a
    suitable bright or dark part of the picture and lock the setting by
    half-squeezing the shutter. There's an exposure lock button as well and
    clicking the top cursor button cycles thru options to adjust the
    exposure, bracketing or flash EV.
    (Yes it has taken me months to figure out all the features and I know
    I'm not there yet. I still haven't got my head around the Program
    mode...half the time I just bung it in Auto mode and blaze away.)

    > 3. Optical zoom.

    Oodles of it. 12x optical zoom means that looking across the room at in
    the normal 4:3 aspect, full wide angle (35mm*) I can see a rectangle
    about 10ft/3m diagonal. At full tele (420mm*)I'm seeing a rectangle less
    than 1ft/30mm.
    (* 35mm equivalent)

    > 4. Very doubtful I will purchase addtional lenses so don't need true
    > DSLR

    They would be even more cumbersome out and about.

    > All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    The Image Stabilizer is a marvel, but at max zoom it still pays to find
    something to help hold the camera steady. A railing, rock or tree,
    whatever. I always have a small tripod in my bag and really should pull
    it out more often. 420mm is a big tele for hand holding, especially as I
    think I'm not as steady as I might have been. Too many G&Ts under the
    bridge.

    --
    Dibley

    Dibley Fanshaw, Jan 26, 2006

  3. QX wrote:
    > Does anyone have comments on this camera? Use it currently?
    > It seems to be what I am looking for:
    > 1. Primarily quick point & shoot to get action photos while hiking &
    > rock scrambling.
    > 2. Option to go manual focus/time/f-stop for landscape shots.
    > 3. Optical zoom.
    > 4. Very doubtful I will purchase addtional lenses so don't need true
    > DSLR
    > All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    I don't think the FZ30 is a suitable camera for rock climbing, You need
    something small, flat and lightweight, like a Nikon Coolpix or similar,
    suitably protected.

    The FZ30 is a super camera, but like Dibley, I am still learning from the
    120-page manual.

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Jan 26, 2006
  4. QX

    HornBlower Guest

    I own one and love it. It is the best camera I have ever owned. The FZ20
    being a close runner up. I moved to Panasonic from a Canon 20D which hated.

    However, for rock climbing unless you are going to carry it in a bag on your
    back until you get to the top. I think it s a bit big for that. In a bag on
    your back, it would fine. Once you got to the top you could then get some
    great photos. But, if you want to shoot on your way up, then you will want
    something smaller. It won't be better, most small point and shoots leave a
    lot to be desired. But, you have a limit because of the rock climbing. I
    would still look at Panasonic. I think they are one of the most under-rated
    camera makers.

    Simply because they never made film cameras. Having made film cameras I
    don't think is a good pre-requesit for making a good digital camera. In fact
    I think companies like Canon and Nikon leave a lot to be desired when it
    comes to their cameras. They seem to keep everything inline with film and
    never seem to say "Hey, this is digital and not film, lets do this
    different." Like getting rid of the mirror in the SLR's. They aren't needed
    and only detract from the cameras.

    HornBlower, Jan 26, 2006
  5. QX

    m II Guest

    HornBlower wrote:

    > They seem to keep everything inline with film and
    > never seem to say "Hey, this is digital and not film, lets do this
    > different." Like getting rid of the mirror in the SLR's. They aren't needed
    > and only detract from the cameras.

    A lot of people would disagree with you on that mirror business. I know
    I do.

    mike

    m II, Jan 27, 2006
  6. QX

    Kent Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    QX <> wrote:

    > Does anyone have comments on this camera? Use it currently?
    > It seems to be what I am looking for:
    > 1. Primarily quick point & shoot to get action photos while hiking &
    > rock scrambling.
    > 2. Option to go manual focus/time/f-stop for landscape shots.
    > 3. Optical zoom.
    > 4. Very doubtful I will purchase addtional lenses so don't need true
    > DSLR
    > All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    I've had one for about a month. Very good control layout, compared to
    most consumer digicams. Sharp lens; and stabilisation does make a
    difference in reducing the amount of motion blurring.

    I'm not sure what you mean by 'action photos while hiking'? (You must be
    a livelier hiker than I am). Are you shooting people doing the hiking,
    or the scenery around them? Why I ask is that I find that during hikes I
    have to run ahead (or beside) of the other people, and shoot back at
    them before they reach me, otherwise it's just a lot of backsides, and I
    still have to run to catch up. For this, a long zoom helps, so I can
    open up a good gap between us, set up my shot, and get several shots
    before they inevitably march past. A light monopod might help to counter
    the inevitable huffing and puffing and shaky camera that running ahead
    engenders.

    If they're scrambling over rocks, I imagine the same scenario would
    apply, since you shouldn't be climbing and shooting at the same time.
    So, despite its size, the FZ30 might work well. I find chestpacks for
    zoom cameras (LowePro TLZ1 and Toploader 75) work well for this kind of
    shooting, although they would interfere with your centre of gravity for
    more serious climbing (could just slide them around to your side?).

    If the action is very quick and sustained, the burst mode only gets
    about four pics a go, so this might not be enough to get the whole leap
    across the fissure, etc..

    The lens isn't very wide, which probably won't give you typical
    expansive mountain landscape shots with in-focus flowers in the
    foreground, etc.

    My only problems so far have been that the on-off switch and mode dial
    are too easily moved when handling the camera, and the battery and port
    doors are too easily popped open. Still working on getting the autofocus
    to read my mind, but all-manual operation feels very natural.
    Auto-bracket is so nice too.

    When I was looking to buy, I thought jeez that's a lot to pay for a
    digicam when an entry DSLR is only a bit more, but then I looked into
    the cost of long lenses and stabilisation.... Now that I've used the
    camera, it was cheap at the price.

    Kent Clarke, Jan 27, 2006
  7. QX

    HornBlower Guest

    That is fine, but there are others to choose from that have the mirror if
    one doesn't want to move out of the 19th and 20th century. When I think of
    high tech it isn't because it uses 70+ year old technology.

    HornBlower, Jan 27, 2006
  8. QX

    ant Guest

    Kent Clarke wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > QX <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have comments on this camera? Use it currently?
    >> It seems to be what I am looking for:
    >> 1. Primarily quick point & shoot to get action photos while hiking &
    >> rock scrambling.
    >> 2. Option to go manual focus/time/f-stop for landscape shots.
    >> 3. Optical zoom.
    >> 4. Very doubtful I will purchase addtional lenses so don't need true
    >> DSLR
    >> All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    > I've had one for about a month. Very good control layout, compared to
    > most consumer digicams. Sharp lens; and stabilisation does make a
    > difference in reducing the amount of motion blurring.

    I bought one a few weeks back, after MUCH reserearch. And 42nd Ave sent it
    without the SD card! So I could play with it, but only in a very limited
    manner.
    I notice the image stabilisation thing working in the viewfinder/screen
    thing. I love the manual zoom, and then hte camera focusses for you. Very
    nifty.

    I got mine for much of the same reason as the OP. Especially as I didn't
    need to change lenses so that functionality in an SLR wasn't necessary. Also
    my brother has the new Canon 350 whatever-it-is. So I can steal that if
    necessary.
    Was going to get a Fuji S9000, and then this Lumix popped up.

    --
    ant

    ant, Jan 28, 2006