    Thanks
    Marcel
    PS I mistakingly posted the same message in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    Celcius, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Celcius wrote:
    > Hi everyone!
    > My friend is considering either models.
    > Which one would be the best re. ease of use and results?
    > Thanks
    > Marcel
    > PS I mistakingly posted the same message in
    > rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    Well, rec.photo.digital.zlr would be the most appropriate newsgroup!

    The Panasonic FZ20 is an older model than the Canon S3 IS, the more recent
    Panasonic models are FZ7 and FZ30 (smaller and larger cameras). If ease
    of use is an issue, try the cameras in a photo shop. I tried the earlier
    Canon S2 and rejected it in favour of the lighter and easier to handle
    Panasonic FZ5. The Panasonics have a better lens than the Canon, but the
    Canon has a swivel LCD viewfinder. The Panasonic tends to have a sharper
    image by default, but therefore shows more noise.

    My wife has the Panasonic FZ20 and I have the Panasonic FZ5. We have both
    been very pleased with the results.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 13, 2006

  3. Celcius

    Celcius Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:zattg.100858$...
    > Celcius wrote:
    > > Hi everyone!
    > > My friend is considering either models.
    > > Which one would be the best re. ease of use and results?
    > > Thanks
    > > Marcel
    > > PS I mistakingly posted the same message in
    > > rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    > Well, rec.photo.digital.zlr would be the most appropriate newsgroup!
    >
    > The Panasonic FZ20 is an older model than the Canon S3 IS, the more recent
    > Panasonic models are FZ7 and FZ30 (smaller and larger cameras). If ease
    > of use is an issue, try the cameras in a photo shop. I tried the earlier
    > Canon S2 and rejected it in favour of the lighter and easier to handle
    > Panasonic FZ5. The Panasonics have a better lens than the Canon, but the
    > Canon has a swivel LCD viewfinder. The Panasonic tends to have a sharper
    > image by default, but therefore shows more noise.
    >
    > My wife has the Panasonic FZ20 and I have the Panasonic FZ5. We have both
    > been very pleased with the results.

    David,

    Thank you for your prompt response.
    I had advised my friend against the Panasonic, because I had heard in this
    or other newsgroup that it was noisy. Not that DPReview is necessarily
    perfect, but although they evaluate the Panasonic as Highly recommended,
    they also point out that there is "Visible noise at ISOs above 100".
    I decided to seek advice on his behalf and to relay the answers so that he
    can make a good choice. He tends toward the Panasonic.

    Best regards,

    Marcel

    Celcius, Jul 13, 2006
  4. Celcius wrote:
    []
    > David,
    >
    > Thank you for your prompt response.
    > I had advised my friend against the Panasonic, because I had heard in
    > this or other newsgroup that it was noisy. Not that DPReview is
    > necessarily perfect, but although they evaluate the Panasonic as
    > Highly recommended, they also point out that there is "Visible noise
    > at ISOs above 100".
    > I decided to seek advice on his behalf and to relay the answers so
    > that he can make a good choice. He tends toward the Panasonic.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Marcel

    Marcel,

    All cameras produce noise, but some produce more than others! The default
    settings on the Panasonic produce sharper images, and this probably
    contributes towards the slightly greater visible noise. However, I would
    urge caution because:

    - the noise may only be visible when the image is zoomed to 1:1
    magnification on the display - hardly a realistic viewing scenario for
    most people.

    - when the image is printed at normal size, the noise may not be visible.

    - a little noise can sometimes add character to a photo, but there is a
    fashion today for completely noise-free images.

    So see if your friend finds the noise on the Panasonic objectionable or
    not when the camera is used in his particular viewing circumstances.
    Print out some of the sample images, if prints are what your friend
    normally uses. Do the same for the Canon. Having said that, for daylight
    I would normally use the camera at ISO 100, so that the noise does not
    become objectionable to me. And I do the same with my other small-sensor
    cameras!

    To me, those cameras are sufficiently different that image noise would
    only be a small factor in the decision.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 13, 2006
  5. Celcius

    Monkee Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:zattg.100858$...
    > Celcius wrote:
    >> Hi everyone!
    >> My friend is considering either models.
    >> Which one would be the best re. ease of use and results?
    >> Thanks
    >> Marcel
    >> PS I mistakingly posted the same message in
    >> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    > Well, rec.photo.digital.zlr would be the most appropriate newsgroup!
    >
    > The Panasonic FZ20 is an older model than the Canon S3 IS, the more recent
    > Panasonic models are FZ7 and FZ30 (smaller and larger cameras). If ease
    > of use is an issue, try the cameras in a photo shop. I tried the earlier
    > Canon S2 and rejected it in favour of the lighter and easier to handle
    > Panasonic FZ5. The Panasonics have a better lens than the Canon, but the
    > Canon has a swivel LCD viewfinder. The Panasonic tends to have a sharper
    > image by default, but therefore shows more noise.
    >
    > My wife has the Panasonic FZ20 and I have the Panasonic FZ5. We have both
    > been very pleased with the results.
    >
    > David

    I would second the Panasonic.... we have both cameras where I work as well
    as the older Canon S2 IS.....

    The Panasonic results taken at the same time and locations always look
    better and more detailed than the Canon.... from a personal point of view
    the Panasonic is nicer to use as well but that is just personal
    preference....

    Noise really has not been a problem and a quick look through sample images
    from a range of sites should back that up.

    Monkee, Jul 13, 2006
  6. Monkee wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > message news:zattg.100858$...
    >> Celcius wrote:
    >>> Hi everyone!
    >>> My friend is considering either models.
    >>> Which one would be the best re. ease of use and results?
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Marcel
    >>> PS I mistakingly posted the same message in
    >>> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    >> Well, rec.photo.digital.zlr would be the most appropriate newsgroup!
    >>
    >> The Panasonic FZ20 is an older model than the Canon S3 IS, the more
    >> recent Panasonic models are FZ7 and FZ30 (smaller and larger
    >> cameras). If ease of use is an issue, try the cameras in a photo
    >> shop. I tried the earlier Canon S2 and rejected it in favour of the
    >> lighter and easier to handle Panasonic FZ5. The Panasonics have a
    >> better lens than the Canon, but the Canon has a swivel LCD
    >> viewfinder. The Panasonic tends to have a sharper image by default,
    >> but therefore shows more noise.
    >>
    >> My wife has the Panasonic FZ20 and I have the Panasonic FZ5. We
    >> have both been very pleased with the results.
    >>
    >> David

    > I would second the Panasonic.... we have both cameras where I work as
    > well as the older Canon S2 IS.....
    >
    > The Panasonic results taken at the same time and locations always look
    > better and more detailed than the Canon.... from a personal point of
    > view the Panasonic is nicer to use as well but that is just personal
    > preference....
    >
    > Noise really has not been a problem and a quick look through sample
    > images from a range of sites should back that up.

    Forty years ago we had the same arguments over "grain" in our then film
    cameras.

    We learnt to handle it and live with it.

    Nothing changes.

    Dennis.
    Panasonic FZ20 and Nikon F3.

    Dennis Pogson, Jul 14, 2006
  7. Celcius

    Celcius Guest

    "Celcius" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone!
    > My friend is considering either models.
    > Which one would be the best re. ease of use and results?
    > Thanks
    > Marcel
    > PS I mistakingly posted the same message in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    Thanks to you all.
    Your comments are most welcome and useful.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Jul 14, 2006
  8. Celcius

    y_p_w Guest

    Celcius wrote:

    > Hi everyone!
    > My friend is considering either models.
    > Which one would be the best re. ease of use and results?
    > Thanks
    > Marcel
    > PS I mistakingly posted the same message in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    I've got a Canon S3 IS. My problems have been that the
    rubber grip coating has slowly flaked off, and the LCD
    is a bit hard to see in bright conditions.

    Other than that - I've got relatively large hands, and
    it feels and works wonderfully. I recently took it on
    vacation, and I was perfectly satisfied with the results.
    There are several features that were supposedly improved
    over the S2 IS, such as individual ISO and file size
    buttons. The latter was a really great feature when I
    just wanted a shot where I didn't need a 2 MB file.

    I really like the ability to use AA batteries. I can
    usually get at least 400-500 shots on one charge.

    y_p_w, Jul 14, 2006
  9. Celcius

    per Guest

    > I've got a Canon S3 IS. My problems have been that the
    > rubber grip coating has slowly flaked off, and the LCD
    > is a bit hard to see in bright conditions.

    Have you tried to increase the LCD brightness in the menu?
    /per

    per, Jul 14, 2006
  10. Celcius

    y_p_w Guest

    per wrote:
    > > I've got a Canon S3 IS. My problems have been that the
    > > rubber grip coating has slowly flaked off, and the LCD
    > > is a bit hard to see in bright conditions.

    > Have you tried to increase the LCD brightness in the menu?

    Yes. Even at the brighter setting, I couldn't see great through
    mid-day sun. Tilting the display sometimes helped, but I found
    that the EVF was a better choice under those conditions.

    y_p_w, Jul 14, 2006
  11. Celcius

    m Ransley Guest

    Look at the Sony H2 or H5 dpreview compared them all, or get the S3is
    over the panasonic

    m Ransley, Jul 14, 2006
  12. Celcius

    Alan Guest

    "y_p_w" <> wrote in message
    > per wrote:
    >> > I've got a Canon S3 IS. My problems have been that the
    >> > rubber grip coating has slowly flaked off, and the LCD
    >> > is a bit hard to see in bright conditions.

    >> Have you tried to increase the LCD brightness in the menu?

    > Yes. Even at the brighter setting, I couldn't see great through
    > mid-day sun. Tilting the display sometimes helped, but I found
    > that the EVF was a better choice under those conditions.

    The EVF to my mind is not the greatest either - my old Panasonic Lumic LC-70
    has
    a really bright viewfinder and I find the Canon S3 quite dim in comparison.

    Alan, Jul 15, 2006
  13. Celcius

    y_p_w Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > "y_p_w" <> wrote in message

    >>>Have you tried to increase the LCD brightness in the menu?

    >>Yes. Even at the brighter setting, I couldn't see great through
    >>mid-day sun. Tilting the display sometimes helped, but I found
    >>that the EVF was a better choice under those conditions.

    > The EVF to my mind is not the greatest either - my old
    > Panasonic Lumic LC-70 has a really bright viewfinder and
    > I find the Canon S3 quite dim in comparison.

    I think it's perfectly adequate. As long as I put my eye
    close to the EVF, ambient light doesn't "wash out" the image.

    y_p_w, Jul 15, 2006