Panasonic DMC-FZ18 Lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by noone@nospamyahoo.cnn, Feb 12, 2008.

  1. Guest

    From the Review pictures it seems that the FZ18 has a filter thread on the lens..?

    Is this correct..?
    , Feb 12, 2008

  2. wrote:

    >From the Review pictures it seems that the FZ18 has a filter thread on the lens..?
    >
    >Is this correct..?

    Yes, 46mm. I've just fitted a UV filter.

    Chris
    --
    Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

    Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
    Chris J Dixon, Feb 12, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:57:11 GMT, Chris J Dixon <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >>From the Review pictures it seems that the FZ18 has a filter thread on the lens..?
    >>
    >>Is this correct..?

    >Yes, 46mm. I've just fitted a UV filter.
    >
    >Chris

    Yes I have a felling this is the way it should be done, the FZ8 list 52 & 55mm Filters that are
    fixed to the body of the camera, this can cause reflections to very from the back of the filter and
    lens, as the lens moves, Multi coated filters are supposed to fix this problem.

    But having the Filters mounted directly on the lens would be far better.

    The Other problem is did this arrangement cause Vignetting as the 52mm filter is be listed as
    obsolete, and also not listed here.

    But being that the FZ18 Filters is closer to the lens it can't cause this..?

    I also noticed that the Sony H9 uses a 74mm ? filter..

    Food for thought.
    , Feb 12, 2008
  4. wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:57:11 GMT, Chris J Dixon <> wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>From the Review pictures it seems that the FZ18 has a filter thread on the lens..?
    >>>
    >>>Is this correct..?

    >>Yes, 46mm. I've just fitted a UV filter.
    >>
    >>Chris

    > Yes I have a felling this is the way it should be done, the FZ8 list 52 & 55mm Filters that are
    > fixed to the body of the camera, this can cause reflections to very from the back of the filter and
    > lens, as the lens moves, Multi coated filters are supposed to fix this problem.

    > But having the Filters mounted directly on the lens would be far better.

    > The Other problem is did this arrangement cause Vignetting as the 52mm filter is be listed as
    > obsolete, and also not listed here.

    > But being that the FZ18 Filters is closer to the lens it can't cause this..?

    > I also noticed that the Sony H9 uses a 74mm ? filter..

    > Food for thought.

    The reason for the body mount for "filters" is not to mount filters,
    but to mount heavy accessory lenses which extend the range of the
    fixed zoom, and whose weight would be too much if screwed onto the end
    of the lens.

    The problem is simply that some peoples like to call anything which
    fits on the end of a lens and you can see through a filter, even when
    it isn't a filter. It's the same guys who call soft drinks "sodas"
    even when they have no soda in them.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Feb 12, 2008
  5. John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:06:53 +1300, wrote in
    <>:

    >Yes I have a felling this is the way it should be done, the FZ8 list 52 & 55mm Filters that are
    >fixed to the body of the camera, this can cause reflections to very from the back of the filter and
    >lens, as the lens moves, Multi coated filters are supposed to fix this problem.
    >
    >But having the Filters mounted directly on the lens would be far better.
    >
    >The Other problem is did this arrangement cause Vignetting as the 52mm filter is be listed as
    >obsolete, and also not listed here.
    >
    >But being that the FZ18 Filters is closer to the lens it can't cause this..?

    Reflections can occur whether the filter is mounted on the lens or the
    body -- it makes no real difference. Flare from strong light (the sun)
    hitting the glass directly is another matter, which is why you want a
    lens hood when shooting outdoors toward the sun.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 12, 2008
  6. John Navas Guest

    On 12 Feb 2008 10:57:48 GMT, Chris Malcolm <> wrote
    in <>:

    > wrote:

    >> Yes I have a felling this is the way it should be done, the FZ8 list 52 & 55mm Filters that are
    >> fixed to the body of the camera, this can cause reflections to very from the back of the filter and
    >> lens, as the lens moves, Multi coated filters are supposed to fix this problem.

    >> But having the Filters mounted directly on the lens would be far better.

    >> The Other problem is did this arrangement cause Vignetting as the 52mm filter is be listed as
    >> obsolete, and also not listed here.

    >> But being that the FZ18 Filters is closer to the lens it can't cause this..?

    >> I also noticed that the Sony H9 uses a 74mm ? filter..

    >> Food for thought.

    >The reason for the body mount for "filters" is not to mount filters,
    >but to mount heavy accessory lenses which extend the range of the
    >fixed zoom, and whose weight would be too much if screwed onto the end
    >of the lens.

    In the case of the FZ8, which is different from the FZ18, filters are
    mounted to the lens hood adapter, not the lens itself. I suspect this
    was done to protect the retractable lens from damage when attaching or
    removing filters. The lens hood adapter for the FZ18 is shorter than
    the FZ8, I'm guessing because of the wider wide angle, so filters have
    to be mounted to the lens instead, risk of damage notwithstanding.
    Another unfortunate issue with the shorter lens hood adapter for the
    FZ18 is that the lens hood cannot be reversed and stowed, as it can on
    the FZ8.

    [Caveat: This is from the manual -- I don't have an FZ18]

    John Navas, Feb 12, 2008