    Knowing the types of pictures I will be taking, are these cameras good
    candidates? If not, are there others that would be better?

    Thanks

    Cara, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Cara

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Check the relative sizes.

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Cara

    Guest

    On 1 Jun 2004 19:55:15 -0700, (Cara) wrote:

    >Does anyone have any experience with either of these cameras? I am
    >looking at these because each has a long optical zoom that is image
    >stabilized.

    I'm using the FZ-10 and it is perfect for action shots with burst mode
    and its huge telephoto lens.
    It is very much a camera for the enthusiast because it needs to be
    used manually at times to overcome some deficiencies.

    The auto focus is rather slow and the stabilizer isn't as effective as
    the web ads proclaim although some users claim to handhold at maximum
    telephoto ( 420mm equivalent ) down to 1/15 I wouldn't try below 1/60
    ( still good though ) . If you increase the ISO to 200 or more then
    noise might become a problem but normally the images are sharp and
    bright and far better than the samples on the Panasonic web pages!

    In my view it is a great camera for action shots and you'll not find a
    better lens anywhere. General Build quality is very high.

    , Jun 2, 2004
  4. Cara

    Cara Guest

    Thanks for the information. So far, this is making my choice much
    easier. I wish that I had done this research a few days ago. My son
    has a big end of the year track meet this weekend. It would have been
    great to try out the camera then!

    Nonetheless, unless I get someone who tells me that the PowerShot S1
    IS is better, I will go with this one!

    Cara, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Cara

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Before you decide, you may want to take a look at the Canon Talk Forum
    at http://www.dpreview.com The people who've bought S1's seem to be
    very happy with them. I am. The IS really works and really works well,
    it makes a tremendous difference. I think that this camera fits the
    hand well and is very easy to use. Don't discount the movie mode
    either, I'm going to get rid of my camcorder now :)

    Here's an example of what the IS can do, handheld (on a handrail) at 1/5
    shutter speed.
    http://www.pbase.com/image/29651797.jpg

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jun 3, 2004
  6. Cara

    Cara Guest

    Thanks Lisa,

    I have been reading reviews of both cameras and have no doubt that
    both are awesome. I love the fact that both have great movie modes
    and take fabulous pictures. One thing I like a little better about
    the Panasonic's movie mode is that it is only limited by the amount of
    available space on your card...at least that's what I've read. I
    still haven't made my final decision, but I am leaning toward the
    Panasonic. But thanks, I'll take a look at the board you mentioned
    and see what some more of the people who own the camera say.

    Cara, Jun 3, 2004
  7. Cara

    Cara Guest

    BTW, the waterfall is breathtaking. Where did you take the picture?

    Cara, Jun 3, 2004
  8. In article <>, says...
    > Before you decide, you may want to take a look at the Canon Talk Forum
    > at http://www.dpreview.com The people who've bought S1's seem to be
    > very happy with them. I am. The IS really works and really works well,
    > it makes a tremendous difference. I think that this camera fits the
    > hand well and is very easy to use. Don't discount the movie mode
    > either, I'm going to get rid of my camcorder now :)

    Lisa,

    I believe the S1 is 3Mpx ? Although I'm quite prepared to be wrong!

    If it is though is the lens assembly the same as on the Oly 2100 ? That would explain the IS
    being so much better than the FZ-10.

    I'd have still gone for the FZ-10 though as the step from 2 to 3 Mpx wouldn't have been
    enough to bother changing from my Uzi..

    Getting used to the FZ now though..

    www.evil-photographer.com/yellowfrog.jpg is a straight crop from the middle of a frame.
    Lens on max zoom, f5.6 about 1.25 second exposure, ISO 50 (locked) on a tripod.

    T.
    --
    Please Tony, NO!! You'd look dreadful in a basque and fishnets..

    Tony Gartshore, Jun 3, 2004
  9. Cara

    Lisa Horton Guest

    At Bonfonte Gardens, in Gilroy CA. I also got flower shots that were
    quite impressive, considering (by my standards) the modest camera that
    took them.

    Just for kicks, I took a look at the specs for the Panasonic. Not bad,
    but the movie mode is limited to 320x240, while the S1 can do 640x480,
    and 640x480 Superfine. I also note the absence of a few features that
    *I* consider important, like Flash Exposure Compensation. I'm also not
    that enthusiastic about SD cards, for several reasons including their
    much higher cost compared to CF. The proprietary battery could be a
    plus or a minus, depending on your point of view. I like the
    proprietary battery used in my Canon DSLR's, as I can buy third party
    versions that are better and cheaper than the Canon branded battery.
    OTOH, it's nice to be able to get batteries anywhere, although alkalines
    would of course run out very quickly. The Panasonic does have an extra
    megapixel, which would be useful if you planned on printing larger than
    8x10 often.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jun 3, 2004
  10. Cara

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Tony Gartshore wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    > > Before you decide, you may want to take a look at the Canon Talk Forum
    > > at http://www.dpreview.com The people who've bought S1's seem to be
    > > very happy with them. I am. The IS really works and really works well,
    > > it makes a tremendous difference. I think that this camera fits the
    > > hand well and is very easy to use. Don't discount the movie mode
    > > either, I'm going to get rid of my camcorder now :)
    > >

    > Lisa,
    >
    > I believe the S1 is 3Mpx ? Although I'm quite prepared to be wrong!

    That is correct, about 3mp.

    > If it is though is the lens assembly the same as on the Oly 2100 ? That would explain the IS
    > being so much better than the FZ-10.

    I'd be dubious that it's the same lens. As I remember, the Canon
    Pro90IS used the same lens as the Uzi, while the S1 lens is clearly a
    different lens than the Pro90IS. The IS on the S1 is quite good, I feel
    it's definitely better than on the Pro90IS. Actually, the camera is
    better than the Pro90IS in pretty much every way, but half the price.

    > I'd have still gone for the FZ-10 though as the step from 2 to 3 Mpx wouldn't have been
    > enough to bother changing from my Uzi..

    The difference, IMHO, is not large, and not enough to override other
    features and capabilities. I do acknowledge that I'm biased towards
    Canon though, for a number of reasons.

    > Getting used to the FZ now though..
    >
    > www.evil-photographer.com/yellowfrog.jpg is a straight crop from the middle of a frame.
    > Lens on max zoom, f5.6 about 1.25 second exposure, ISO 50 (locked) on a tripod.

    I'm sure it's a fine camera capable of producing good results.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jun 3, 2004
  11. Cara

    Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 10:19:55 -0700, Lisa Horton wrote .
    > I also note the absence of a few features that
    >*I* consider important, like Flash Exposure Compensation. I'm also not
    >that enthusiastic about SD cards, for several reasons including their
    >much higher cost compared to CF. The proprietary battery could be a
    >plus or a minus, depending on your point of view.

    I've got to support the FZ-10 here because not only can you compensate
    for flash just about everything can be adjusted to your liking. It
    really is a serious amateur camera with the best lens EVER!
    The Shooting Manual from this page might be helpful
    http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/fz10/index.html

    The odd thing is that the sample pictures on that site aren't good.

    The battery has a long life and normally allows me to fill a 256 SD
    card.
    I have 2 spares with me just in case and they aren't too expensive.
    The SD cards especially the latest generation allow very fast
    consecutive exposures even though I find the standard cards fast
    enough for me.

    I also use a small Canon ( Ixus V over here ) with CF so I'm a Canon
    enthusiast too!

    , Jun 3, 2004
  12. Cara

    Tony Guest

    Cara, the same is true of the S1 IS.

    They are both nice cameras. We looked at both before selecting the S1 for
    use on the job. For us the key was the stabilized zoom plus the excellent
    movie mode at 640x480.

    Tony, Jun 4, 2004
  13. In article <>, says...

    > I'm sure it's a fine camera capable of producing good results.
    >
    > Lisa

    It's taken a while but I'm finally getting results I'm happy with from it. Entirely down to
    my somewhat shaky grip but I'm finding ways around it.

    I have a few good images from a Formula 1 test day this week and a wonderful shot of another
    frog sheltering under leaves in the garden taken today..

    www.evil-photographer.com/220dpifrog.jpg Warning, it's about a 1MB file if you want to take
    a look !

    Another friend of mine is stuck, unable to choose between the Floozie and the S1 which I
    suggested he take a look at. I suspect he'll go for the S1 at the end of the day and be very
    happy with it too..

    T.
    --
    Please Tony, NO!! You'd look dreadful in a basque and fishnets..

    Tony Gartshore, Jun 5, 2004