    shop here has an FZ30 that I can try out).

    4. Is the noise worse than in the FZ20 ?
    , Aug 7, 2006

  2. m Ransley Guest

    Read dpreviews test, I believe dp stated the noise is so much worse that
    it is of no value over the 20 for large prints even with more mp. Read
    the review just done on a new panasonic at dpreview, it might mean the
    new 50 wont be anything great with their new Venus upgrade. It seems
    they are cutting noise and making a less clear photo. Read comparisons
    they are your best info, I bought an H5.
    m Ransley, Aug 8, 2006

  3. Paul Allen Guest

    On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 18:54:36 -0500
    (m Ransley) wrote:

    > Read dpreviews test, I believe dp stated the noise is so much worse
    > that it is of no value over the 20 for large prints even with more
    > mp.

    Best go read the actual review. They did find only a slight increase
    in actual sharpness over the 20 and noted that owners of the FZ20
    would see little reason to upgrade. They also noted that the FZ30
    package of features is a substantial upgrade from most superzooms.

    > Read the review just done on a new panasonic at dpreview, it
    > might mean the new 50 wont be anything great with their new Venus
    > upgrade. It seems they are cutting noise and making a less clear
    > photo. Read comparisons they are your best info, I bought an H5.

    There's no review there yet. The press release makes the new
    Venus engine sound great, but that's marketing. I'll wait for
    a real review.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Aug 8, 2006
  4. Paul Allen Guest

    On 7 Aug 2006 14:28:01 -0700
    wrote:

    > I've found a buyer for my FZ20 and am thinking of getting
    > an FZ30 (the FZ50 will probably be out of my price range
    > for some time). Can you please answer these questions ?
    > Those who have used both the FZ20 and FZ30 may be in the
    > best position to answer them, but input from anyone will
    > be appreciated.

    I just came back from a sailing cruise in the Queen Charlotte
    Islands with about 600 images in my new FZ30. My previous
    camera was an Oly C700. You can call this "input from
    anyone."

    > 1. In actual use, how significant is the FZ30's reduced
    > max aperture at long focal lengths compared to the FZ20's
    > constant f2.8 ?

    I didn't notice it. Most of the long shots I took from the
    boat seem just a tad soft. A touch of unsharp mask helps
    a bit, but I think the stabilizer was overtaxed. The extra
    bit of possible shutter speed and the larger pixels on an
    FZ20 might have produced sharper results, but I don't have
    the comparison shots. Everybody else on the boat either had
    Nikon DSLRs or pocket-size point-n-shoots.

    > 2. The Hi-speed AF times given by DPReview are impressive,
    > but they also give the half- to full-press lag in IS mode 2
    > as ~0.2 sec. This seems rather sluggish compared to the
    > FZ20 and other recent camera models. Comments ?

    For shots of orcas and humpbacks I used IS mode 2 and high-
    speed burst mode. I did notice a slight delay from half-
    press to shoot, but I think most of my problems were in
    getting that long zoom aimed at the right spot so I could
    trip the shutter. It's hard to imagine that the extra .1s
    lag over the FZ20 made much of a difference, but it may
    have.

    > 3. I love the FZ20's manual focus ring, but also find the
    > toggle zoom lever very convenient and precise enough for
    > most purposes. Are there times when the ring-type zoom
    > control of the FZ30 prove to be inconvenient ? (No local
    > shop here has an FZ30 that I can try out).

    I like the manual zoom ring a lot. I didn't find it ever
    to be inconvenient. I had an 80-200 zoom on my old OM-2n
    film SLR, and have missed the control of zoom and focus
    under one hand ever since I went digital.

    I imagine you'll find it harder and harder to find the FZ30
    in stores since Panasonic stopped production. I got mine
    for $489 from B&H, but they apparently don't have them in
    their catalog now.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Aug 8, 2006
  5. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    I haven't noticed any issues with your first two concerns. I leave it in the
    high-speed AF and haven't noticed a lag at all. As for 3, I didn't like the
    manual zoom ring at first, but now that I am used it I love it. Much more
    natural and much better control.

    As for noise, this is a total non-issue only brought up by people that
    bought a different brand and are trying to justify in their minds their
    choice in cameras. While I don't currently print above 11 x 14 (I can get
    nice frames really cheap for this size print) noise is not an issue. I don't
    personally see the noise being worse than the 20 especially given that your
    getting 2 more MP. Now the 50 it could be but won't know until it ships and
    we have images from an actual production model. Going by what's available
    now in sample images for the 50 is pointless as it has no doubt not been
    tweaked for the final production models.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 8, 2006
  6. Guest

    Paul Allen wrote:
    > On 7 Aug 2006 14:28:01 -0700
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I've found a buyer for my FZ20 and am thinking of getting
    > > an FZ30 (the FZ50 will probably be out of my price range
    > > for some time). Can you please answer these questions ?
    > > Those who have used both the FZ20 and FZ30 may be in the
    > > best position to answer them, but input from anyone will
    > > be appreciated.

    > I just came back from a sailing cruise in the Queen Charlotte
    > Islands with about 600 images in my new FZ30. My previous
    > camera was an Oly C700. You can call this "input from
    > anyone."
    >
    > > 1. In actual use, how significant is the FZ30's reduced
    > > max aperture at long focal lengths compared to the FZ20's
    > > constant f2.8 ?

    > I didn't notice it. Most of the long shots I took from the
    > boat seem just a tad soft. A touch of unsharp mask helps
    > a bit, but I think the stabilizer was overtaxed. The extra
    > bit of possible shutter speed and the larger pixels on an
    > FZ20 might have produced sharper results, but I don't have
    > the comparison shots. Everybody else on the boat either had
    > Nikon DSLRs or pocket-size point-n-shoots.
    >
    > > 2. The Hi-speed AF times given by DPReview are impressive,
    > > but they also give the half- to full-press lag in IS mode 2
    > > as ~0.2 sec. This seems rather sluggish compared to the
    > > FZ20 and other recent camera models. Comments ?

    > For shots of orcas and humpbacks I used IS mode 2 and high-
    > speed burst mode. I did notice a slight delay from half-
    > press to shoot, but I think most of my problems were in
    > getting that long zoom aimed at the right spot so I could
    > trip the shutter. It's hard to imagine that the extra .1s
    > lag over the FZ20 made much of a difference, but it may
    > have.
    >
    > > 3. I love the FZ20's manual focus ring, but also find the
    > > toggle zoom lever very convenient and precise enough for
    > > most purposes. Are there times when the ring-type zoom
    > > control of the FZ30 prove to be inconvenient ? (No local
    > > shop here has an FZ30 that I can try out).

    > I like the manual zoom ring a lot. I didn't find it ever
    > to be inconvenient. I had an 80-200 zoom on my old OM-2n
    > film SLR, and have missed the control of zoom and focus
    > under one hand ever since I went digital.
    >
    > I imagine you'll find it harder and harder to find the FZ30
    > in stores since Panasonic stopped production. I got mine
    > for $489 from B&H, but they apparently don't have them in
    > their catalog now.
    >
    > Paul Allen

    Thanks, Paul. That's just the kind of reply I hoped for. I read the
    full
    review of the FZ30 at DPReview some time ago and am quite familiar with
    their report. What I wanted to know was how a regular user felt.

    I'm considering the FZ30 for the features rather than any quantum leap
    in picture quality. Ring zoom, improved movie mode and control layout,
    relocation of the memory card slot (it's a pain shooting with a tripod
    from my porch and unscrewing it from the tripod to remove the card
    every
    time I want to view the shot in my computer), increased LCD and EVF
    resolution, .... And the extra megapixels will be welcome for shots of
    birds and the moon.

    I went through the review of the Sony H5 last week. Though I'm
    attracted
    by the 3-inch LCD and the lower noise, even with my inexpert eyes, I
    think I can clearly see where the FZ30 scores over the H5 in terms of
    resolution, fringing and general clarity.
    , Aug 8, 2006
  7. Pat Guest

    I did the change last year. Having done over 5000 photographs with FZ20 I
    decided to upgrade to FZ30 mainly because Panasonic apparently listened to
    FZ20 user comments and added many things. I did not notice any change in
    picture quality but the handling is much, much better. The manual zoom is a
    must. The FZ30 is heavier but it actually helps when using the telephoto
    zoom range - the camera is more stable.

    The ability to shoot RAW is also very important and I do use this mode for
    difficult conditions with excellent results!

    I never regretted my decision. It is a great camera. reviews are nice but I
    have over 3000 new photos done with FZ30 to my satisfaction. Yes, noise is a
    bit greater but don´t worry: unless you specifically look for it you will
    never notice.
    <> píse v diskusním príspevku

    Pat, Aug 8, 2006
  8. Guest

    Hebee Jeebes wrote:

    > I haven't noticed any issues with your first two concerns. I leave it in the
    > high-speed AF and haven't noticed a lag at all. As for 3, I didn't like the
    > manual zoom ring at first, but now that I am used it I love it. Much more
    > natural and much better control.
    >
    > As for noise, this is a total non-issue only brought up by people that
    > bought a different brand and are trying to justify in their minds their
    > choice in cameras. While I don't currently print above 11 x 14 (I can get
    > nice frames really cheap for this size print) noise is not an issue. I don't
    > personally see the noise being worse than the 20 especially given that your
    > getting 2 more MP. Now the 50 it could be but won't know until it ships and
    > we have images from an actual production model. Going by what's available
    > now in sample images for the 50 is pointless as it has no doubt not been
    > tweaked for the final production models.

    Thanks, HJ. As with Paul Allen, that's the kind of reply
    I needed. And not just because you like the FZ30. (I
    wouldn't be human if I didn't like having any tentative
    choice I make approved by others, but rejecting any
    contradiction offhand wouldn't be very mature either).
    , Aug 8, 2006
  9. Guest

    m Ransley wrote:

    > Read dpreviews test, I believe dp stated the noise is so much worse that
    > it is of no value over the 20 for large prints even with more mp. Read
    > the review just done on a new panasonic at dpreview, it might mean the
    > new 50 wont be anything great with their new Venus upgrade. It seems
    > they are cutting noise and making a less clear photo. Read comparisons
    > they are your best info, I bought an H5.

    Thanks for responding. I _have_ read the reviews. I'm the
    methodical type and I usually save every DPReview page
    about a camera I'm seriously interested in. I read about
    the FZ30 quite some time ago and also more recently. I
    read about the FZ50 and the Sony H5 last week.

    I find the H5 attractive for its huge LCD and lower noise
    compared to Panasonics, but what makes me lean towards
    the FZ30 is the external flash facility, and the bigger,
    better, non-extending lens, better IS, better image
    resolution (not just MP), less color fringing and the
    ring lens controls.
    , Aug 8, 2006
  10. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    The main thing is your asking and doing your homework. It doesn't matter to
    me what camera you get as long as you love the one you get, you use the one
    you get and you have fun with the one you get. That is what's most
    important. Technical details are nice and all but in the end they don't make
    love or have fun with the camera. I love my 30, I have fun with my 30 and I
    takes lots of pictures with my 30.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 8, 2006
  11. Guest

    Pat wrote:

    > I did the change last year. Having done over 5000 photographs with FZ20 I
    > decided to upgrade to FZ30 mainly because Panasonic apparently listened to
    > FZ20 user comments and added many things. I did not notice any change in
    > picture quality but the handling is much, much better.

    I've heard comments in other places about how Panasonic
    pays attention to user comments. A good way to attract a
    loyal following. I'm also impressed by a Pana official's
    statement (reported in DPReview) that they still have
    some way to go to match Fuji's low noise levels.

    > The ability to shoot RAW is also very important and I do use this mode for
    > difficult conditions with excellent results!

    As is the 3:2 mode. I sometimes take pictures for friends
    and relatives specifically for 6x4 prints.

    > I never regretted my decision. It is a great camera. reviews are nice but I
    > have over 3000 new photos done with FZ30 to my satisfaction. Yes, noise is a
    > bit greater but don´t worry: unless you specifically look for it you will
    > never notice.
    , Aug 8, 2006