    Is there a way to convert either the .ISO or the DVD from PAL to NTSC?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Feb 21, 2007

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Cari Guest

    Visit www.videohelp.com, click on Hacks and see if there's an easy way to
    make your USA DVD player to accept all regions and all formats. The usual
    rule of thumb is that the cheaper the player, the easier they are to hack.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    Cari, Feb 21, 2007

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Cari <> wrote:
    > Visit www.videohelp.com, click on Hacks and see if there's an easy way to
    > make your USA DVD player to accept all regions and all formats. The usual
    > rule of thumb is that the cheaper the player, the easier they are to hack.

    That won't help him - the format of the video is incompatible.

    Most DVD players will output PAL just fine, but your TV will need to be
    able to display it.

    Some DVD players can convert a PAL signal into NTSC, or you can get a
    separate signal convertor.

    Off the top of my head, can DVDShrink convert between PAL and NTSC? It's
    free, so it might be worth a look.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

    Doug Jacobs, Feb 21, 2007
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    kaboom Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:09:04 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    <> wrote:

    >Cari <> wrote:
    >> Visit www.videohelp.com, click on Hacks and see if there's an easy way to
    >> make your USA DVD player to accept all regions and all formats. The usual
    >> rule of thumb is that the cheaper the player, the easier they are to hack.

    >That won't help him - the format of the video is incompatible.

    **Since his burned discs probably have no region attached and they
    won't play in his present DVD player, it probably doesn't do the
    conversion anyway. It wouldn't hurt to look it up, though. However,
    the site will direct him towards many decently-priced players, in the
    US, that do convert PAL to NTSC on the fly and can be region hacked
    with a few presses of the remote. It's a good investment if you like
    and/or trade for R2 material. I've got three of them and they're
    great.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Feb 22, 2007
  5. Per Doug Jacobs:
    >Off the top of my head, can DVDShrink convert between PAL and NTSC? It's
    >free, so it might be worth a look.

    Does anybody recall what options to set in DvdShrink?

    I see:
    Edit|Preferences
    Preferences
    Target DVD size
    Hid audio...
    Automatically open VIDEO_TS....
    Run analysis...
    Preview
    Enable...
    Select audio preview...
    Select directX video renderer:
    System Default Renderer
    VMR-9
    VMR-7
    Overlay mixer
    Built-In Software Renderer
    Output Files
    Remove macrovision protection
    Remove P_UOPs...
    Remove layer break
    Split VOB files...
    Logical remapping
    Stream Selections
    Audio language and coding type
    Subpicture language
    Disable all subpicture except...
    File I/O
    File I/O Settings
    Enable overlapped I/O...
    Read 32KB blocks...
    Check RPC2 drive region code when opening a DVD
    Burn Settings
    Enable burning with Nero
    Always erase non-empty RW media...

    I know nothing about this stuff... but none of those options
    mention PAL/NTSC. Could the option be buried in some other
    menu?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Feb 22, 2007
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    Guest

    > I know nothing about this stuff... but none of those options
    > mention PAL/NTSC. Could the option be buried in some other
    > menu?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Pete,
    DVD Shrink will not do a PAL conversion. The easist way to do it is buy
    a cheap DVD player that will play a PAL disc and output an NTSC signal.
    You can buy them for less than $100. Here is a site that lists a bunch
    of models: http://www.220giftcenter.com/ If you do not want to
    purchase from them, get a list of models and head for your local
    electronics store and see if they have one. You can also take your disc
    with you, and see if the player will play it. This is the method I
    used. The player I bought was a Toshiba. It states in the manual that
    it is a NTSC player and will NOT play PAL disc... but it does.

    Another way, if you have a TV out on your computer video card, is to
    just record the output like you would any other TV program.
    -Bill

    , Feb 22, 2007
  7. On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:00:48 GMT, wrote:

    >> I know nothing about this stuff... but none of those options
    >> mention PAL/NTSC. Could the option be buried in some other
    >> menu?
    >> --
    >> PeteCresswell

    >Pete,
    >DVD Shrink will not do a PAL conversion. The easist way to do it is buy
    >a cheap DVD player that will play a PAL disc and output an NTSC signal.
    >You can buy them for less than $100. Here is a site that lists a bunch
    >of models: http://www.220giftcenter.com/

    It's worth pointing out that the quality of the conversions range from
    average to appalling depending on the player. The best option is to
    buy a TV that can display PAL video natively.

    Steve

    The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
    http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

    Steve Roberts, Feb 26, 2007
  8. (PeteCresswell)

    kaboom Guest

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:18:02 GMT, (Steve
    Roberts) wrote:

    >On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:00:48 GMT, wrote:
    >

    >>> I know nothing about this stuff... but none of those options
    >>> mention PAL/NTSC. Could the option be buried in some other
    >>> menu?
    >>> --
    >>> PeteCresswell

    >>Pete,
    >>DVD Shrink will not do a PAL conversion. The easist way to do it is buy
    >>a cheap DVD player that will play a PAL disc and output an NTSC signal.
    >>You can buy them for less than $100. Here is a site that lists a bunch
    >>of models: http://www.220giftcenter.com/

    >It's worth pointing out that the quality of the conversions range from
    >average to appalling depending on the player. The best option is to
    >buy a TV that can display PAL video natively.

    **That's not an option in the US. I think the best option, in the US,
    is buying a player that converts PAL to NTSC on the fly. There are
    several that do the job quite well and are priced decently.

    I can vouch for the 220giftcenter as I've purchased a multisystem VCR
    and converter from them. But I wouldn't bother with buying a DVD
    player from them. It's better to go to videohelp.com and find a player
    that will do the conversion and can have the region changed easily. I
    bought a Magnavox 458 for $35-$40 at Circuit City and changed the
    region with the remote. It converts PAL to NTSC on the fly. (It's
    since been replaced with the 460.)

    All that said, a friend of mine downloaded Elaine Cassidy's 'Ghost
    Squad' (a UK series) and she said that she converted it to NTSC with
    program on her PC. She sent me the 8 episodes and they look really
    great but I don't know what she used to do it.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Feb 26, 2007
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    Guest

    kaboom wrote:

    > All that said, a friend of mine downloaded Elaine Cassidy's 'Ghost
    > Squad' (a UK series) and she said that she converted it to NTSC with
    > program on her PC. She sent me the 8 episodes and they look really
    > great but I don't know what she used to do it.
    >
    > kaboomie

    If you can find out what program your friend used, please post it.
    Every
    conversion program I have tried did not work very well.
    -Bill

    , Feb 27, 2007
  10. (PeteCresswell)

    kaboom Guest

    On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:06:39 GMT, wrote:

    >kaboom wrote:
    >>
    >> All that said, a friend of mine downloaded Elaine Cassidy's 'Ghost
    >> Squad' (a UK series) and she said that she converted it to NTSC with
    >> program on her PC. She sent me the 8 episodes and they look really
    >> great but I don't know what she used to do it.
    >>
    >> kaboomie

    >If you can find out what program your friend used, please post it.
    >Every conversion program I have tried did not work very well.

    **She writes that it was Nero Vision but didn't give me any other
    info. I think it was a newer or newest version, also.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Feb 27, 2007
  11. Per kaboom:
    >**She writes that it was Nero Vision but didn't give me any other
    >info. I think it was a newer or newest version, also.

    I just upgraded to Nero 7.1 and I see the capability in some operations. It's
    just one of those things that have tb dug out over time.

    Nero strikes me as a quality product - but it would be a lot more impressive
    with some real-world-usable documentation.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Feb 27, 2007
  12. On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:48:07 GMT, (kaboom)
    wrote:

    >>It's worth pointing out that the quality of the conversions range from
    >>average to appalling depending on the player. The best option is to
    >>buy a TV that can display PAL video natively.

    >**That's not an option in the US.

    Nonsense, I have plently of American friends who have multi-standard
    TVs. You just have to look around and do a bit of research!

    Steve Roberts, Feb 27, 2007
  13. (PeteCresswell)

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Steve Roberts <> wrote:

    > Nonsense, I have plently of American friends who have multi-standard
    > TVs. You just have to look around and do a bit of research!

    They certainly aren't as easy to find as they are overseas where the local
    chain stores carry them. It's definitely a highly specialized niche
    market, probably only accesible through speciality websites for most folks.

    Doug Jacobs, Feb 28, 2007
  14. (PeteCresswell)

    kaboom Guest

    On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:03:35 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    <> wrote:

    >Steve Roberts <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nonsense, I have plently of American friends who have multi-standard
    >> TVs. You just have to look around and do a bit of research!

    >They certainly aren't as easy to find as they are overseas where the local
    >chain stores carry them. It's definitely a highly specialized niche
    >market, probably only accesible through speciality websites for most folks.

    **Exactly. Seeing as I probably have more American
    friends/relatives/enemies than Steve, I can say that not one owns a
    multi-system TV though several own multi-system DVD players. I'll
    correct myself, however, and state that buying a multi-system TV in
    the US is not a *viable* option for most people but it's not
    impossible. I probably wouldn't make such a major purchase from those
    specialty sites.

    Also, why buy a new TV set in order to play some R2 DVDs as opposed to
    buying a nice Oppo or even a baseline Philips?

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Feb 28, 2007