Pan Newsreader ...newbie question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Miguel, Jan 7, 2007.

  1. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    Hi all...Am a newbie to newsreader software so bear with me.

    Am using Pan under Xubuntu Edgy.

    I have mastered the "plonk" feature and have got rid of most of the
    childish posters, for a few weeks at least.

    Is there a reverse feature which will highlight for me when the dozen
    or so worthwhile posters post.

    I see the plonk page has an ignore/watch option but there's some sort
    of scoring that has to be done. i don't want to be continually scoring
    posters. Just a click and forget option to indicate "ignore poster" or
    "highlight poster"....suggestions.

    Also, on the Pan website there's the following.....

    <snip>
    The following features are available in Pan Enterprise Solutions Pack
    3K

    Spam wizard.
    Integrated search for alt.binaries groups on unsecured news servers.
    [...]
    Oil slick, smokescreen, ejector seat, and heat-seeking diddle darts.
    Gnapster plugin framework

    </snip>

    Is the "oil slick" bit an attempt at geek humour or is this actual
    newsreader terminology (à la plonk)

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Jan 7, 2007

  2. Miguel

    Shane Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    <snip>
    > Oil slick, smokescreen, ejector seat, and heat-seeking diddle darts.
    > Gnapster plugin framework
    >
    > </snip>
    >
    > Is the "oil slick" bit an attempt at geek humour or is this actual
    > newsreader terminology (à la plonk)
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    What in the wild wild world of sports is a "heat seeking diddle dart"???

    Shane, Jan 7, 2007

  3. Miguel

    Earl Grey Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > Hi all...Am a newbie to newsreader software so bear with me.
    >
    > Am using Pan under Xubuntu Edgy.
    >
    > I have mastered the "plonk" feature and have got rid of most of the
    > childish posters, for a few weeks at least.
    >
    > Is there a reverse feature which will highlight for me when the dozen
    > or so worthwhile posters post.
    >
    > I see the plonk page has an ignore/watch option but there's some sort
    > of scoring that has to be done. i don't want to be continually scoring
    > posters. Just a click and forget option to indicate "ignore poster" or
    > "highlight poster"....suggestions.
    >
    > Also, on the Pan website there's the following.....
    >
    > <snip>
    > The following features are available in Pan Enterprise Solutions Pack
    > 3K
    >
    > Spam wizard.
    > Integrated search for alt.binaries groups on unsecured news servers.
    > [...]
    > Oil slick, smokescreen, ejector seat, and heat-seeking diddle darts.
    > Gnapster plugin framework
    >
    > </snip>
    >
    > Is the "oil slick" bit an attempt at geek humour or is this actual
    > newsreader terminology (à la plonk)
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Its a bit of wry developer humour directed at Ximian

    Earl Grey, Jan 8, 2007
  4. Miguel

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 15:15:07 -0800, Miguel wrote:

    > Hi all...Am a newbie to newsreader software so bear with me.
    >
    > Am using Pan under Xubuntu Edgy.
    >
    > I have mastered the "plonk" feature and have got rid of most of the
    > childish posters, for a few weeks at least.
    >
    > Is there a reverse feature which will highlight for me when the dozen
    > or so worthwhile posters post.

    sure is.
    select an article from the poster you want to stalk ;)
    Articles > Create Score.

    Group is nz.comp (Change to suit your requirements)

    Select Author (will already be filled in with authors details)

    Select Watch. Or leave it with add 100 and it will have the same effect if
    you haven't changed the filter settings.

    click add and rescore. All posts by that author will be highlighted by
    9999 in the score column. And you can also turn filters on and off to only
    show scores of 9999.

    HTH

    Should improve your signal-to-noise ratio a bit :)

    El Chippy, Jan 8, 2007
  5. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    El Chippy wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 15:15:07 -0800, Miguel wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all...Am a newbie to newsreader software so bear with me.
    > >
    > > Am using Pan under Xubuntu Edgy.
    > >
    > > I have mastered the "plonk" feature and have got rid of most of the
    > > childish posters, for a few weeks at least.
    > >
    > > Is there a reverse feature which will highlight for me when the dozen
    > > or so worthwhile posters post.
    > >

    > sure is.
    > select an article from the poster you want to stalk ;)
    > Articles > Create Score.
    >
    > Group is nz.comp (Change to suit your requirements)
    >
    > Select Author (will already be filled in with authors details)
    >
    > Select Watch. Or leave it with add 100 and it will have the same effect if
    > you haven't changed the filter settings.
    >

    > click add and rescore. All posts by that author will be highlighted by
    > 9999 in the score column. And you can also turn filters on and off to only
    > show scores of 9999.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Should improve your signal-to-noise ratio a bit :)

    Thanks El Chippy. Did the job perfectly. You're officially number one
    on my "to stalk" list :)

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Jan 8, 2007
  6. On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 15:15:07 -0800, Miguel wrote:

    > Is there a reverse feature which will highlight for me when the dozen
    > or so worthwhile posters post.
    >
    > I see the plonk page has an ignore/watch option but there's some sort
    > of scoring that has to be done. i don't want to be continually scoring
    > posters. Just a click and forget option to indicate "ignore poster" or
    > "highlight poster"....suggestions.

    First question:

    Which version of PAN are you using? There are two versions in current
    circulation and they work somewhat differently.

    Second question:

    Have you considered finding a post by a user that you always want to read
    and then setting a score based on who the user is rather than the
    subject, etc, of that particular article?

    I don't think there is a one-click solution to "always watch this poster".

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 8, 2007
  7. Miguel

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 20:28:38 -0800, Miguel wrote:

    > Thanks El Chippy. Did the job perfectly. You're officially number one
    > on my "to stalk" list :)
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Hmmmm, would prefer to be stalked by someone with a name more like
    Michaela.. but beggars can't be choosers :)

    El Chippy, Jan 8, 2007
  8. Miguel

    El Chippy Guest

    On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 19:48:27 +1300, Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

    > First question:
    >
    > Which version of PAN are you using? There are two versions in current
    > circulation and they work somewhat differently.

    Not really, item names in the menu have changed slightly, but the scoring
    still works in the same way.

    > Second question:
    >
    > Have you considered finding a post by a user that you always want to
    > read and then setting a score based on who the user is rather than the
    > subject, etc, of that particular article?

    That is how watched articles work, score of 9999 = Watched. A score of
    -9999 = ignored... which is where you once again disappear to.

    El Chippy, Jan 8, 2007
  9. On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:30:24 +1300, El Chippy wrote:

    >> Which version of PAN are you using? There are two versions in current
    >> circulation and they work somewhat differently.

    > Not really, item names in the menu have changed slightly, but the scoring
    > still works in the same way.

    Actualy the two versions of PAN have many differences. For example, the
    keyboard controls are very different, and also you cannot choose for
    yourself a part of the reference header that will apply to your post - and
    this means you cannot automatically filter based on one specific reference
    to enable all responses to any of your posts to be highlighted.

    Whatever you may think, those are sufficient differences to warrant asking
    what version the OP is using.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 9, 2007